"Ad Astra" uniforms?

p51

Sr Member
I saw the meh-inducing "Ad Astra" and among the surprises with the uniforms, I noticed the officers were wearing the standard class A green uniforms I wore back in my Army time (in fact, if they ever make the shoulder patch, I'd just have to get a new Class A jacket as I have the rest from my Army days).
But I noticed two types of BDU types, both in German-inspired patterns of camo. I thought for sure one was a WW2 SS pattern!
Here's the only clear shot I could find:

Attachments

• Pitt.jpg
    Pitt.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 587
They look custom to me although yeah the one pictured is definitely inspired by east German raindrop patterns. I thought the mars pattern was more interesting though :)

They look custom to me although yeah the one pictured is definitely inspired by east German raindrop patterns.
That one also looks a lot like the Luftwaffen-Splittertarnmuster ("splinter") pattern used by the German Air Force in WW2
I thought the mars pattern was more interesting though
I couldn't find a photo of it online for the movie uniforms, but I would have bet that one of those patterns were cut from cloth with either the SS 'plane tree' or 'pea dot' patterns of camo.

Grabbed some middling pics. The mars camo is particularly hard to find refs for.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.02.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.02.43 PM.png
    670.1 KB · Views: 522
  • brad-pitt-embed.jpg
    brad-pitt-embed.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 605
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 6.57.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 6.57.07 PM.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 568
I find it odd that there have been some really cool uniforms in the past few years in movies (I thought the Avatar ones were especially cool looking) and nobody is looking to make copies of them. I wouldn't mind a copy of one of these 'BDU' sets but I doubt anyone will make them...

Whats the chances these might turn up on some prop site?

I'd love a set of the Splittertarnmuster style uniforms.

EDIT: Did some digging and Mil-Tec, a German uniform/equipment manufacturer, makes a modern cut of the Splittertarnmuster pattern. It IS much darker though. Check it out. Unfortunately they don't make a jacket, only a pullover and a hoodie. Still very cool none the less.

I also found on their website that they do uniforms and such for films, interestingly enough. Wouldn't be too far-fetched to think maybe they did the uniforms for Ad Astra? They are the only company making any sort of Splinter patterns (they have a green version as well).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back