Actors referencing their previous roles...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Indy Magnoli, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

After seeing the Deadpool trailer and Reynold's line about not making his suit green and animated, it got me thinking about actors who have referenced their previous characters in unrelated works. Like when Stallone says "Rambo was a *****" in Tango and Cash...

One of my favorites has got to be when Rick Castle dressed up as a "Space Cowboy" for Halloween:

[​IMG]

So... any other examples?

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

Zombie_61, AJTaliesen, Philly and 3 others like this.
  2. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Ahnold does it in those Expendables films and in another of his recent films (can't remember the name) there's a Conan sword.

3. Indy Magnoli

I loved when Willis and Schwarzenegger quoted each other's classic lines!

4. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The phenomenon you are referring to is called Actor Allusion.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActorAllusion

There's a treasure trove of references from the very obvious to the extremely subtle.

My personal favorite, though, was in 3rd Rock From The Sun. The Big Giant Head (played by William Shatner) has taken human form to visit Dick and his family on Earth. They ask him how the flight over was, and BGH said it was fine, except he kept seeing something on the wing. Dick (John Lithgow) exclaims "The same thing happened to me!"

This was a double whammy of an Actor Allusion, as Shatner played an airline passenger who was being menaced by a gremlin in the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." John Lithgow would later take on the same role in a remake for the Twilight Zone movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  5. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

That bit from 3rd Rock had me in hysterics when it first aired. Brilliant bit of writing. And Castle has had a number of Firefly references, though the above was the most obvious.

There was an Andromeda episode where they describe Dylan Hunt (Kevin Sorbo) as looking like a Greek god. They later find a Hercules wig and sword hidden in his quarters.

In an early NCIS episode, someone asks what Ducky (David McCallum) looked like when he was younger. Gibbs says he looked like Ilya Kuryakin - McCallum's character in The Man from UNCLE.

At the end of Captain America: Winter Soldier, Nick Fury's tombstone bears the inscription "The path of the righteous man" referencing Pulp Fiction.

6. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

The Boondocks was on TV last night and I caught SLJ's character doing the "Say what again" speech. I never really watch the show but thought that was a funny reference

kuzushi likes this.
  7. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Third rock was was great for these. My favorite was Lithgow returning to his footloose roots

8. glunark

glunark Sr Member

The opening titles of the A team after its second season had Face at universal studios looking at the cylons and recognising them.

Zombie_61 and Axlotl like this.
  9. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Live Action Hero when Arnie sees the Terminator Marketing material with Sly in it.

10. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*LAST Action Hero

I remember that so vividly :lol a true "what the heck" moment :p

11. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol

Mistyped! Yes, Last Action Hero. :)

12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Newhart, in one episode Dick and Michael are discussing old 70s TV shows and Michael says "Remember the one with the shrink who stuttered?" And Dick said "St- stammered."

13. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

^ Hell, the end of Newhart -- or Breaking Bad, for that matter -- where the main character wakes up in his previous hit show's bedroom set next to his previous hit show's TV spouse and remarks on the really weird dream he just had.

One of my favorites is from "The Men Who Stare At Goats", when Ewan MacGregor's character finally catches up to George Clooney's character and is asking him about the secret military program the latter had been part of. George says "I am a Jedi warrior" and Ewan manages to say "I have no idea what that is" with a straight face.

--Jonah

AJTaliesen likes this.
  14. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

Edward James Olmos using the term "Skinjob" to describe Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. Term was originally from Blade Runner.

15. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

And Olmos himself was Gaff in that film. "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

16. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

I have mixed feelings...

For me, in the fictional world of film, when there is a direct reference to another film, it's weird to me. Like Stallone mentioning Rambo... Generally, it takes me out of the story. For me, for the most part, the fictional world of film exists in a different universe than our real world of film, and blending the two - for me - usually doesn't work.

This is not a hard and fast rule, and there are exceptions. Donner's inclusion of The Lost Boys on the theater marquee in Lethal Weapon is an example of a subtle - but direct -reference that doesn't bug me.

INDIRECT references, nods, homages, however, I tend to dig... Talking about LW (and Donner), Danny Glover's appearance in Maverick was golden!

17. Cam McFly

Cam McFly Active Member

Yeah, I have the same feeling. Like in Scream the kids are all watching the first Halloween movie. Then in Halloween: H20, they play Scream 2. So, in Scream, Halloween is just a movie. But in Halloween... Scream is just a movie.... so how can a universe that Halloween is just a movie appear in a universe that Scream is just a... ah screw it. It makes my head hurt!

18. glunark

glunark Sr Member

One I probably like the least is Robert DeNiro doing the "you looking at me" speech in Rock and Bullwrinkle.

19. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

Sly about to punch a load of meat in Grudge Match.

Zombie_61 and Indy Magnoli like this.
  20. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

These bits are always fun, but at the same time take me out of the monent. Shia LeBlah has a Bad Boys poster in TF:ROTF, so either Michael Bay exists in that world, or somebody else directed it. That always makes me overthink these cool moments, maybe its just a film poster that looks similar to one we saw and its totally different than what we saw?
    Or The Jaime Foxx show, one ending scene he was leaving his house, then another cast member asks "where you going?" He replies with something like: "Home, this is a tv show" And that just totally threw me off :lol

21. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

In that venerable classic of cinema Piranha 3D, Richard Dreyfuss does a cameo essentially as Matt Hooper signing "Show Me the Way To Go Home" while fishing. Graciously, he dies in the scene.

22. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Kevin McCarthy was the old lunatic running through traffic and screaming that they're coming. At the end of the original film he was last seen running through traffic screaming that they were coming

23. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Also in tapeheads the guy arresting them who says "remember what we did to Jello Biafra?" is actually Jello Biafra ( ala Dead Kennedy's and the PMRC nonsense)

24. Indy Magnoli

25. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

The exchange between Alan Shore (James Spader) and Denny Crane (William Shatner) on "Boston Legal":

Alan Shore: "This book? The Stain Upon the Sea? It's all about these sea lice."

Denny Crane: "Interesting."

Alan Shore: "They call them cling-ons."

Denny Crane: "Did you say Klingons?"

Kevin

AJTaliesen and joeranger like this.
  26. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

For the win: The Stakeout. Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estivez playing movie trivia. "This was no boating accident..." Richard has no idea.

Chris Lecce: [Chris and Bill are whiling away the time playing trivia questions] Okay, I got one, name the 16th President
    Bill Reimers: I don't know
    Chris Lecce: Here's a hint...
    Bill Reimers: Abraham Lincoln.
    Bill Reimers: [His questions are identifying quotes] Okay, "This was no boating accident!"
    Chris Lecce: No idea
    Bill Reimers: Man, you suck at this

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  27. AJTaliesen

Just remembered another favourite.

Hot Shots part deux. Charlie Sheen is basically doing a Rambo parody, but on the boat scene he starts channeling Martin Sheen from Apocalypse Now.

A few seconds in, Martin's voice takes over, then we actually see Martin Sheen in costume on a passing boat.

As they pass they point at each other and say "I loved you in Wall Street!"

28. AJTaliesen

Also in several episodes of that show Shatner opens his flip phone and it makes the Star trek communicator chirp. A few times it actually happens in front of other Trek alumns and always followed by a pause where they give him a long look of exasperation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another one I liked is in Stargate, several times during the series the cast make a point of saying they are going to MacGuyver something together in front of Richard Dean Anderson on screen. I always got the feeling it was unscripted.

29. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

30. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Also, his character's name was Matt Boyd, and he was drinking Amity Beer (an obvious reference to Amity Island in Jaws).

I saw that movie when it was released in 1987, and I was the only person in the theater who laughed at that exchange. No one else got the joke, including the friend I went with who is usually right on top of inside jokes like this. :facepalm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  31. joeranger

joeranger Sr Member

It's more like an Easter egg, You are not supposed to get it. In contrast, William Shatner has gone on to do great television but he will always be Kirk. He is a living Allusion and he has made it work.

Riceball likes this.
  32. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Another good bit from "Last Action Hero" - the kid warns Arnold not to trust his partner, played by F. Murray Abraham, because "he killed Mozart!" (Abraham played Salieri in "Amadeus.")

Of course Arnold's response was "Who's Moe Zart?" which is kind of funny, given that Arnold and Mozart are both Austrian...

33. PHArchivist

Would you consider William Munny an allusion to all of Clint's earlier bad-*?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  34. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my favorite scenes of self parody was when Damon and Affleck were working on Goodwill Hunting 2: Hunting season in "jay and silent bob strike back.

The shots of Gus Van Sant counting money was priceless

Goonie likes this.
  35. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

Yeah, and the whole "Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms" thing too.

36. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

This is kind of off the wall... (comedy after all)-

The Cannonball Run (coast to coast "illegal" race movie with Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise)---

Roger Moore (famous for playing James Bond), plays a rich family's son, Seymour Goldfarb, Jr, who constantly refers to himself as Roger Moore in the movie, and acts like James Bond (he enters the race with an Aston Martin DB5, complete with rotating license plates and a smokescreen).

Kevin

37. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I agree that exchange of dialogue was more like an Easter Egg, but if you weren't supposed to get it they wouldn't have included it in the movie.

By the way, Richard Dreyfuss is currently in a horrible sitcom called Your Family or Mine, and his character's wife is played by JoBeth Williams. In one of the episodes the movie Jaws entered into the conversation, and when Williams' character commented that she'd never seen it Dreyfuss' character replied, "Neither did I."

38. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

You would hate the recap episode of Martian Successor Nadesico, then. Many of the characters in the show watch an in-universe show called Gekigangar. The recap episode is the Gekigangar characters watching Nadesico. Until you get to the end, where you find out that
    the entire episode was the Nadesico characters watching Gekigangar watching Nadesico
    . It was awesome.

39. glunark

glunark Sr Member

The Doctor watches eastenders, but never comments when an eastenders actress turns up to play a different part in his show.

40. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I must have missed that part of Voyager

:p :lol

41. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

42. kegas76

kegas76 Well-Known Member

Is the Bob's Burger episode of Archer too on the nose?

astroboy likes this.
  43. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

i always found the opening theme of A-team rather funny when Dirk Benidict is surprised to see a cylon walking by

44. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An older version of TMWNN filled with guilt and/or regret......, I feel that way. When Unforgiven was over we were leaving the theater and two older guys I was walking past commented on how that was the worst Eastwood movie they ever saw.
    They obviously wanted a Leone film.

Sticking with Eastwood:
    Kelly's Heroes had that showdown bit referencing the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    Dirty Harry had the movie Play Misty For Me on the theater marquee in the background.

45. PHArchivist

With a little bit of Josey Wales and perhaps Marshall Jim Duncan thrown in (at least his ghost!)...

46. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Etwz8s0NCE :)

robn1 likes this.