Ackbar actor Tim Rose TLJ disappointment

Personally, I'd quit my job in a heartbeat if I had $1 million. I'd just pay my house off and live like I normally do ('normal'). It'd beat working by a mile. Hell, half that would. I'd live in a small hut and eat bologna if it meant I didn't have to go to work again. :D
Hey if I could make that kind of money being in a movie, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm just saying it's insane what actors and professional athletes are paid. Most people work their entire lives and never make one million dollars over the span of their entire career.

That's all very noble and understandable, theoretically. I could absolutely live super comfortably on a cool million, too. Considering movies/sports only rake in what they do on the backs of the talent though, why should they sell themselves short? Someone's gonna pocket that money. Should they just let the studio executives/owners have it? If someone is profiting from my abilities/talents, you can bet I'm gonna want my fair share of what that brings in. Someone is signing those checks. If what the actors/athletes are making was cutting into that person's bottom line, trust me, they wouldn't be getting paid what they do.

As I get older I'm starting to embrace the idea that Star Wars is far better as a trilogy and terrible as a 9 part saga with all these random branches of story telling. If you really break down it's structure it's far more limited creatively than people want to admit. Just because we all love this sandbox that George Lucas created and we want more of it doesn't mean that it really warrants the need to delve deeper into it and make more stories. Even Lucas himself could only mine so much from that well and he began to turn fans away because he overstayed his welcome. Star Wars as a story will die and sadly will one day fade into nothing more than a meaningless series of flashy images meant to conjure sales. I'd much rather enjoy it for what it was and move on with my life and at least preserve some semblance of what made it special, even if many of my fellow fans want to desperately hold on for dear life. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but it's just my take on it.

I'm of two minds on this.

In general terms, I tend to think that we should stop making sequels to things, in many, many cases. Some stuff should just be left alone. Don't remake it. Don't do a prequel. Don't do a sequel. Just let the film stand as it is. That's not how Hollywood works anymore, though. After the prequels, I was REALLY dubious as to whether another Indy film could work. I remain dubios. I think that, unless you start from the outset with the belief that "This is a franchise and we will just keep making films until the wheels fall off, then retool and do it all over again," where you're cranking out films every 2-3 years like clockwork, you should not be going back to 20+ year old properties and trying to breathe new life into them.

With Star Wars, it's a little different. I see Star Wars as a setting, not as the story of the Skywalker family. In fact, I think the farther away you get from Skywalkers, Solos, and all the characters and settings we knew in the first six (eventually 9) "Episode" films, the better your stories can be. I LOVED Solo. But I loved it not because of the Solo character, but rather because of all of the other stuff it added. I loved the new planets, the underworld characters, the folks on the fringe of society, the Empire's battle on Mimban which we only barely touch on, etc. I similarly loved Rogue One, again, not for its connection to ANH, but because of the focus on people who were NOT the core heroes. I loved that it was basically The Dirty Dozen In Space. I loved the space combat as well. I want to see stories about those types of characters, and I think they can be set in any number of eras and settings.

But, to do that, I think you really have to break away from the "formula" of Star Wars....which is something that I think most fans and apparently some directors and a bunch of suits have difficulty doing. Like "Oh, well it's GOT to have white-armored bad guy goons. And the big bad guy HAS to be some red laser-sword-wielding guy in a black robot suit or something. And it HAS to have a huge superweapon and...." basically they just want to recreate what's already been done, only with slight tweaks on the theme. This is why I appreciated TLJ. My hope was that it would herald a real break from the "tradition" of Star Wars going forward, although with JJ on board, I kinda doubt that's gonna happen. JJ just doesn't strike me as the kidn of guy who has the vision necessary to pull off such a changed approach, and is much, much more comfortable basically doing what George Lucas did, only "Faster. More intense."

That's all very noble and understandable, theoretically. I could absolutely live super comfortably on a cool million, too. Considering movies/sports only rake in what they do on the backs of the talent though, why should they sell themselves short? Someone's gonna pocket that money. Should they just let the studio executives/owners have it? If someone is profiting from my abilities/talents, you can bet I'm gonna want my fair share of what that brings in. Someone is signing those checks. If what the actors/athletes are making was cutting into that person's bottom line, trust me, they wouldn't be getting paid what they do.
If I were an A list movie star I would make as much money as I could too. My overall point was how much money that actually is even after taxes and the studio taking their cut.

I'm of two minds on this.

In general terms, I tend to think that we should stop making sequels to things, in many, many cases. Some stuff should just be left alone. Don't remake it. Don't do a prequel. Don't do a sequel. Just let the film stand as it is. That's not how Hollywood works anymore, though. After the prequels, I was REALLY dubious as to whether another Indy film could work. I remain dubios. I think that, unless you start from the outset with the belief that "This is a franchise and we will just keep making films until the wheels fall off, then retool and do it all over again," where you're cranking out films every 2-3 years like clockwork, you should not be going back to 20+ year old properties and trying to breathe new life into them.

With Star Wars, it's a little different. I see Star Wars as a setting, not as the story of the Skywalker family. In fact, I think the farther away you get from Skywalkers, Solos, and all the characters and settings we knew in the first six (eventually 9) "Episode" films, the better your stories can be. I LOVED Solo. But I loved it not because of the Solo character, but rather because of all of the other stuff it added. I loved the new planets, the underworld characters, the folks on the fringe of society, the Empire's battle on Mimban which we only barely touch on, etc. I similarly loved Rogue One, again, not for its connection to ANH, but because of the focus on people who were NOT the core heroes. I loved that it was basically The Dirty Dozen In Space. I loved the space combat as well. I want to see stories about those types of characters, and I think they can be set in any number of eras and settings.

But, to do that, I think you really have to break away from the "formula" of Star Wars....which is something that I think most fans and apparently some directors and a bunch of suits have difficulty doing. Like "Oh, well it's GOT to have white-armored bad guy goons. And the big bad guy HAS to be some red laser-sword-wielding guy in a black robot suit or something. And it HAS to have a huge superweapon and...." basically they just want to recreate what's already been done, only with slight tweaks on the theme. This is why I appreciated TLJ. My hope was that it would herald a real break from the "tradition" of Star Wars going forward, although with JJ on board, I kinda doubt that's gonna happen. JJ just doesn't strike me as the kidn of guy who has the vision necessary to pull off such a changed approach, and is much, much more comfortable basically doing what George Lucas did, only "Faster. More intense."

I too can see where you're coming from and if Star Wars is going to survive it has to evolve. I'm just not personally interested in seeing it continue anymore.

For me, I never cared about the prequels and I don't care about the sequels. Tell the story that you want to tell and be done with it. At the end of Jedi, the Empire was gone, the good guys had won, roll credits. I never wanted to know how it all got there, thus I never cared about the prequels, and I didn't care where any of it went, hence I don't give a damn about the sequels. I don't care how Darth Vader got to be Darth Vader, I don't care how Han Solo got to be Han Solo, I don't care about any of that. Lucas set up a scenario in the first movie and that's all he needed to do.

If you want to tell new, original stories in the Star Wars universe, fine. I'll decide if it's something that I want to see, entirely independently of the original trilogy. Make something good and I'll see it. So far, they haven't done that. Rogue One was decent, again because a lot of it had nothing to do with the OT, but otherwise? Pass. All they are doing is having a rabid nostalgia rabbit bouncing all over the screen screaming "remember this!" That's not a good movie, that's a mess, but it seems to be all Hollywood knows how to make these days. I don't want to see the Skywalkers anymore. I don't want to see Lando. I don't want to see anyone we've already seen. I don't want to hear about them. Their story is done. Give me something new. Stop copying and start doing something different.

But that won't happen, will it? That's why I'm done with 99% of everything that comes out of Hollywood these days.

I thought Rogue One was boring (no lightsabers or force powers = No Interest). Han Solo was a little better (at least it had characters I cared about even though Harrison Ford not being Han is just not the same). But generally speaking, I WANT Jedi/Sith Force stories, just not necessarily Luke Skywalker. How about a movie about Marka Ragnos or something? Everything doesn't need to be in the same time period. Really, the Jedi Knight games (Or KOTOR series) could be well translated into movies. I dunno about having a "Shark Head" be the 'Big Bad' though. That was kind of weird even in the game.

As long as it keeps making money, Disney doesn't care if it sucks.

If they wanted to make Han Solo movies, I liked the older books (Han Solo's Revenge, etc.). But sadly, the one movie that didn't totally suck was boycotted and avoided by people who didn't like what happened in TLJ but 90% of those same people will still pay to go see The Rise of Skywalker... :D

The boycott probably didn't do much to harm the movie. The real harm came in having to reshoot the whole thing, and a drastic lack of marketing.

And the fact that there was no reason for it to exist at all except to cater to mindless fanboys going "ooh! Another OT reference!"

As long as it keeps making money, Disney doesn't care if it sucks.

If they wanted to make Han Solo movies, I liked the older books (Han Solo's Revenge, etc.). But sadly, the one movie that didn't totally suck was boycotted and avoided by people who didn't like what happened in TLJ but 90% of those same people will still pay to go see The Rise of Skywalker... :D

Exactly!!

Wouldn't that be nice?

Hypothetical. What if the new Star Wars films (after 4-6) didn't suck? (For the record I don't think they suck) Would that change how you feel about new movies? It seems that you and others are just happy with the original films. Would you like them? To quote you: "I never wanted to know how it all got there, thus I never cared about the prequels, and I didn't care where any of it went, hence I don't give a damn about the sequels. I don't care how Darth Vader got to be Darth Vader, I don't care how Han Solo got to be Han Solo, I don't care about any of that. Lucas set up a scenario in the first movie and that's all he needed to do." It seems to me that you've made up your mind about the films, even before they were made.

And the fact that there was no reason for it to exist at all except to cater to mindless fanboys going "ooh! Another OT reference!"

The reason Solo exists is because George Lucas wanted a Solo film and Lawrence Kasdan wanted to write a Solo film.

One could postulate, what if the films 200 years from now don't suck and a whole new breed of Star Wars exists by then. Would you go see it if you could? Yeah, well, unless I'm a brain in a robot or I'm reincarnated and rediscover Star Wars.....

I think my point is 'what if' scenarios tend to be meaningless. What if I win the lottery tomorrow? Not bloody likely.

Will there be a 'really good' Star Wars ANYTHING ever again? Probably.

Will it EVER compare to the world seeing it for the first time in 1977? Not bloody likely.

Harrison Ford apparently wants to do another Indiana Jones movie. While I'd LOVE to see a GREAT Indiana Jones film again with him playing Indy, I've got to be realistic about it, both due to his age and the fact the last movie had decades to get the script right and it was still the worst film of the quadrilogy by far. I do wonder if that had more to do with Darth Tater being in it... I mean Shia LeBeouf... than the hokey as hell plot of a crystal skull turning back into a live alien from another dimension. I mean did NO ONE read that ending and think maybe just maybe we should go with something slightly less ridiculous? Really, I was thinking the movie was at least OK up until that point and then Kobayashi Maru!

The "Ancient Aliens" idea that a 'real' Crystal Skull could have information stored in it like a quartz hologram would at least be plausible, however unlikely. But the aliens are made of quarts bones and somehow one lost his head and then he turns into a live alien (and WTF did it 'attack' Irina Spalko? Or was she even attacked? It made so little sense I just started yawning....)

Last edited:
Hypothetical. What if the new Star Wars films (after 4-6) didn't suck? (For the record I don't think they suck) Would that change how you feel about new movies? It seems that you and others are just happy with the original films. Would you like them? To quote you: "I never wanted to know how it all got there, thus I never cared about the prequels, and I didn't care where any of it went, hence I don't give a damn about the sequels. I don't care how Darth Vader got to be Darth Vader, I don't care how Han Solo got to be Han Solo, I don't care about any of that. Lucas set up a scenario in the first movie and that's all he needed to do." It seems to me that you've made up your mind about the films, even before they were made.

OF course I would. The OT is what made Star Wars a household name. It wasn't the PT and it sure the hell isn't the ST. It was the originals that made it all worthwhile. I wanted them to be good. I wanted the prequels to be good. They just weren't.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back