Acid etching. Beer mug with Thror's map runes

belsilene

I am learning to etch glass with acid, this was the first test. A vase for my entrance hall accompanying the mirror, although this was not etched with acid, but painted with translucent varnish.

dscf7996k.jpg

dscf8005q.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Acid etching (LOTR)

i want a mirror like that. did you just experiment or did you find an instructable for this? you did awesome work with that stuff

Thank you all, I'm glad you like it.

did you just experiment or did you find an instructable for this?

The mirror has been developed by my husband and me.
When I moved into this house I said I would do something with this great mirror of the entrance, and my husband said me: "What if we paint the gates of Moria?" :)

Fortunately we have a vinyl cutting machine, which is very helpful. We made a mask (after a vectorized and design work) and painted with a varnish that had previously shown that left with a finish similar to the acid.

(if you dare to put the mask and paint ... just need that mask ;) )

Yes, your mirror turned out awesome! I really like it. How big is the size? or how big of a mask did you use?

Yes, your mirror turned out awesome! I really like it. How big is the size? or how big of a mask did you use?

The Mirror it's about 1 x 1.4 meters, but I've used the mask divided in parts of 0.6 x 0.4 meters to make the process easier. (It would have been very difficult to stick such a big vinyl in a single piece).

I cutted overlaping pieces to facilitate its placement.

It was not as complicated as it sounds, when you're having fun it's all easier :)

Ellas son muy bonitas.

A friend has recently started doing similar things, but using a sand blaster instead of acid. I'll be sure to show him this thread - I know he'll be impressed.

Ellas son muy bonitas.

A friend has recently started doing similar things, but using a sand blaster instead of acid. I'll be sure to show him this thread - I know he'll be impressed.

Gracias ;)

A sand blaster is a very good option too, actually leaves (in my opinion) a more beautiful finish, but for me it has several disadvantages:
1. the piece has to be small enough to enter the box (at least in the case that I have available.) to operate with it.
2. You need a compressor that is noisy, and I can not bring it home, for the space it occupies and not disturb the neighbors.
3. Drops a lot of dust, and only for this reason I will not use indoors :)

This is why I have decided to try acid, but I'm not completely happy with the way it works

Hobby Lobby sells a "sand etch starter kit" that is easy to use and runs on compressed air canisters like the ones used to clean keyboards. I've used it on steel so I know it works fairly well. For a sanding booth, I just use a plastic storage tote that I cut holes in the side of and a piece of plexi on top.

Very very cool, and thanks for the lesson! I love your unique ink!
11.gif

3.gif

thanks, you're very nice

Hobby Lobby sells a "sand etch starter kit" that is easy to use and runs on compressed air canisters like the ones used to clean keyboards. I've used it on steel so I know it works fairly well. For a sanding booth, I just use a plastic storage tote that I cut holes in the side of and a piece of plexi on top.

thanks for the info, I didn't know this machine (as I use the professional that I have at work), I'll think about this, it's a great choice

This was a first test ? Wow ! :eek

it's a pleasure to hear that from a recognized prop maker like you. I know you from the Indiana Jones spanish Forum (film that we both like :cool) I also made ​​some modest replicas of Indy, you can see them here:

belsilene's photosets on Flickr

Today I've made a second attempt to etch glass. Although I'm not entirely happy with the result, I like the concept. Tonight I will post some pictures.

Re: Acid etching (LOTR) Second attempt

A little better photo of my mirror.
espejo.jpg

When the house's door is open, the view is much spectacular :)

I forgot to put a photo of the glass looking better.
Once you drink the beer is best viewed the engraving :)

anillounico2large.jpg

anillounico1large.jpg

That is pretty sweet work man. I'm just starting to do etching myself and you're work is definitely a good source of inspiration to do more.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back