Accurizing the AMT Pro-Shop X-Wing

PHArchivist

Master Member
I think this has been posted on before, but I couldn't find any old threads...

I've read the write-ups at Culttvman, and Starship Modeler.

Who here has taken a crack at correct/accurizing this model, and what have you done with it?

Areas I've identified already:
--Laser cannon bodies (not barrels) need additional styrene paneling
--Engines need additional styrene paneling
--Intakes (Saturn V parts) need additional styrene paneling/correction
--Trapezoidal-shaped area immediately outboard of the intakes needs detail
--R2 strip needs detail

Last edited:
Problem I'm having is that much of the detail that I see lacking is quite small in this scale (though it is a moderatly large model), and I am having a hard time justifying the effort to add such tiny details.

I also maintain a fundamental belief that what first makes or breaks an X-Wing model is the finish -- painting and weathering. The smaller physical detail, in my opinion, comes second. If you nail an ILM-style weathering job, I feel that some minor missing details would be forgiven or go unnoticed.

But major shape and proportional problems can't be overlooked -- like the misshapen rear-end of this kit, or the very prominent engine intakes (mentioned above).

Last edited:
i've built alot of these, and you're right. The paint job is what makes the difference. The only thing I add in my builds are panel lines alon the hull, and a few styrene strips here and there. If you're building red five, go nut with detail.. That's Luke's car, man..
But if you're making your own little baby, sky's the limit. a waring for the interior. When adding that scope on the long par tof the "dash" don't use and thing under it, as the canopy comes down real close. A targeting computer isn;t hard either, as are the hose lines. If you pick up one of those Tamiya soldier gear detail kits(1/35, for tanks too), it'll help alot.. and it's in spirit of the orignal. Good luck. B)

Originally posted by Hotshot@Nov 14 2005, 10:17 AM
i've built alot of these, and you're right. The paint job is what makes the difference. The only thing I add in my builds are panel lines alon the hull, and a few styrene strips here and there. If you're building red five, go nut with detail.. That's Luke's car, man..
But if you're making your own little baby, sky's the limit. a waring for the interior. When adding that scope on the long par tof the "dash" don't use and thing under it, as the canopy comes down real close. A targeting computer isn;t hard either, as are the hose lines. If you pick up one of those Tamiya soldier gear detail kits(1/35, for tanks too), it'll help alot.. and it's in spirit of the orignal. Good luck. B)
[snapback]1116025[/snapback]​

Thanks.

I've "accurized" two of these kits so far: http://www.starwarsmodels.com/xwingps.html Each time I did it, I found more stuff to do. They're still not nearly accurate enough since what I started with was not much. :D The most recent one I did was of the ROTJ Red 3 (with a Biggs pilot/R2). Some of the areas I worked on were panel lines and small details all over the hull, some small things in the cockpit like the targeting computer and random other little stuff, the rear deck behind R2, the detail squares on the sides of the hull beneath R2, the engine intakes and tops, the engines themselves, and also the entire interior of each wing was completely rebuilt. Here's a good shot that shows it: http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/models/xwingps013.jpg I also added a bunch of lights just for fun. :) There's still tons of stuff that needs to be done that I never got to. If you want to shoot me an e-mail, I've got some progress pics you are welcome to if you want them. :)

Is it accuraized if the pilot wasn't in the movie? :p
Sorry, PH, no photos . . .can't find them :cry
But if I can find one of those kits, I'll build with ya..

Thanks Bobbyfett -- I liked your build ups. I read the write-up last Sunday on the way to Disneyland (wife drove). :p

Last edited:
Areas I've identified already:
--Trapazoidal-shaped area immediately outboard of the intakes needs detail
--R2 strip needs detail

More:
--Side boom port cover needs to be sanded and re-built
--Exhaust nozzles need to be thinned and re-built/extended

Areas I've identified already (Updated):
--Trapezoidal-shaped area immediately outboard of the intakes needs detail
--R2 strip needs detail
--Side armature/mounting port covers need to be sanded off and re-built
--Inner wing details need to be removed and re-built
--Two squares on outside surfaces of wings need to be eliminated
--R2 needs to be sanded smooth.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the whole body needs detailing and paneling. It's also mis-proportioned as well and has no recessed areas for the torps. The rear butt plate detail piece could also use some work. And of course you can always add some more detail to the cockpit to make it look more realistic. Things like hoses, targeting computer, hydraulic lifts for the canopy etc.

Yeah, its a never-ending battle with this kit....

Actually, I am enjoying the process. I'm sort of generating my list of mods as I go, as opposed to creating a plan ahead of time. I'm just not looking forward to the 3rd or 4th versions of this kit I plan to do.

My greatest concern is the overall shape of the fuselage -- seems a tad chunky, and that really is not correctable.

I will post pictures soon enough; reading gets a bit boring after a while.

BF, what did you use for the ribbed material at the forward end of the engine intakes (Saturn V parts)?

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/images/models/xwingps013.jpg
(Great shot, by the way.)

Seems like what you chose matches the scale very well.

And I hope this isn't a painful question, but on your first two models, it seems a cannon may be out of alignment (the bane of any modeler doing an X-Wing). If so, (and the only reason I bring it up), what was the cause? Are they trickier than it seems to get aligned? Is it perhaps age that caused sagging?

I have brass tubing, but so far have elected not to use it. But if the cannons are more challenging, or less hardy than I presume, perhaps I should...

Thanks. :D I used Evergreen grooved styrene. .040 I believe. Can't recall offhand, though.
It's very possible that the cannons could be out of alignment. The first X-wing I built was done years ago and I didn't really take any sort of care with it and just did whatever. That was back when I was starting out and just building for myself. The second X-wing was built for a customer and had some accurizing done. One of the things I did to ensure safe shipping was to not glue the cannons on. When I took those pictures, they were just sort of snapped on so it is possible that it slipped out of alignment. Painless question with a painless answer. :D Plus there is always the warpage effect of styrene plastic so that could contribute to the effect. I would 100% suggest using brass tubing. Much more accurate and durable. :)

Cool. I'll rummage through my Evergreen stockpile -- not sure if I have any that'll match, but the local shop should have some...

Yeah, with the cannons, I think it was the second one I was noticing, and the temporary placement makes perfect sense... Comforting to know there is a logical reason and that its not a fault of the kit. Still indecisive on using the tubing, but I hear you though on the recommendation.

By the way, your progression of skills is clearly evident. Though the first is quite nice to look at, the third is a true piece of art.

Added another:
--Trapazoidal-shaped area immediately outboard of the intakes needs detail
--R2 strip needs detail
--Side armature/mounting port covers need to be sanded off and re-built
--Inner wing details need to be removed and re-built
--Two squares on outside surfaces of wings need to be elimindated
--R2 needs to be sanded smooth
--Wheel part on the back of the cannons needs to be shortened

Realized a new challenge...

The engines on the AMT model bear two diameters, being bigger around in the aft 50%.

The F4 engines used on the studio model, of course, do not.

Any thoughts on correcting this...?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back