Accurate Licensed Prop Replicas?

drusselmeyer

Master Member
I was rereading an old thread when a question occured to me: how many ACCURATE licensed replica props out there?

Have you seen any? What are they?

I can only name a few.

I was rereading an old thread when a question occured to me: how many ACCURATE licensed replica props out there?

Have you seen any? What are they?

I can only name a few.

You are right, they are few and far between, sadly.
But then again, there is a fundamental difference between something that was made to be used as a 'prop' on the set of a movie/TV show and something that was made as a collectible display piece.
Most of the time, these licensed replicas are sterilized and made 'better' than the original to fall within the confines of a collectors piece suitable for display.
While some licensed replicas hit very close to the mark, most fall short and some are even gross departures from the on-screen counterpart; one that comes to mind is the recently released Khali Chalice from Sideshow.

thats true that they fall short but sometimes thats whats demanded by the license... i make several licensed props and each one is slightly differant than the show or film because i was told to make it that way.... the kurgan helmet looks close but there are massive differances in the actual comparison.
the chakrams also, but the ones i make are supposed to be an ultimate chakram, at its best... and unless you are a HUGE xena fan then you may not notice the differances... but the xena fans already have lol...

Last edited:
... how many ACCURATE licensed replica props out there? ...

Do we talk about SCREEN accuracy or PROP accuracy? I only love replicas, if they look like the original props as seen on screen. A good example: Star Trek TNG Phasers - I saw some original props at an exhibition. They looked terrible. My laser pointer Phaser made by IPI in the 90's looks much better.

Do we talk about SCREEN accuracy or PROP accuracy? I only love replicas, if they look like the original props as seen on screen. A good example: Star Trek TNG Phasers - I saw some original props at an exhibition. They looked terrible. My laser pointer Phaser made by IPI in the 90's looks much better.

This was my point, too. Many dummy props looked terrible. Hero props look great.
I've never seen a great looking screen used classic BSG pistol--they all looked like crap. Some of the old kits looked much better detail wise.

"Do we talk about SCREEN accuracy or PROP accuracy? I only love replicas, if they look like the original props as seen on screen. A good example: Star Trek TNG Phasers - I saw some original props at an exhibition. They looked terrible. My laser pointer Phaser made by IPI in the 90's looks much better. "

That is why many licensed props are not exactly screen accurate. Many props are not made to exactling high quality as such details do not really show up on the big screen and just add expense and time to the making of them. Licensed pieces are made with the consumer in mind, they are not going to want poorly made details in an expensive hero licensed prop.

And it kinda sucks for the finicky fans and collectors that license holders are asked to change details on the replicas - but I guess this is an effort to keep the replica from being passed off as an original?

Okay you are right about the split. I forgot to specify.

Screen accurate is what the public expects and is paying for. Only finicky, anal, nitpickers, like board members here, would ever want the real thing anyway. ;)

So, even screen accurate as the standard(what we THOUGHT we saw) how many replica props can you name or remember?

The one thing I have noticed on this forum is that there are classes or grades of collectors.

There’s the collectors that collects screen used props about 10%

Then there’s collectors that collect Artisan made props about 10%

Then there’s finicky, anal, nitpickers, would ever want the real thing anyway about 20%

The above mentions was taken from drusselmeyer post

And then there’s the standard collector that just would like to have a replica or a prop that is close to the screen used prop that is close to the real thing and can take a beating, and can be used on a daily outing, and isn’t overly concerned about accuracy bout 60%

They may well be other sub classes of collectors, but I was only looking at the main classes that I have noticed, The % or classes or grades may very on opinion and are only an observation over a period of time, my estimates only.

Do coins count? I have a set of these three coins. They were made by the same producer such as the coins, that were used in the Harry Potter movies. So they are identical.

Harry-potter-gringotts-bank-coin-collection-by-noble-collection-collectibles-us.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back