AC: Syndicate/Jacob Frye Coat Fabric Sourcing

barbquebutt

Haaaaave you all see the trailer for the new Assassin's Creed game? I'm just about as excited about it as I can be.

I've told myself for years that I would make an AC costume, and I think I might actually work on making one for the main character in Syndicate, Jacob Frye. If nothing else, he has got a completely bad ass coat. I'm just having issues finding some fabric. His coat is leather on the shoulders and sleeves, that much is obvious. It's the alternating rib fabric that makes up the rest of the coat that I'm having a problem with.
AC Jacob.jpg

Now, I knew it looked familiar to me, and after several hours of wracking my brain, I finally remembered that my old auto shop coveralls were made of something that looked almost exactly like that. I discovered that the pattern is called "fisher stripe."
Fisher Stripe.jpg

After a lot of searching, I couldn't find anywhere that just had BTY fisher stripe fabric, only coveralls/coats/jeans. I'd rather not have to buy one or more of these things just to cannibalize them for a coat. So I was hoping for some help sourcing this fabric. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, if anyone wants to use this thread for other AC: Syndicate research, be my guest.

Thanks!

I'm glad someone else was wondering about this coat (I was actually just about to post the same topic myself when I saw yours...). I spent last night gathering all the ref pics I could find of Jacob, and if it helps any, I found this piece of concept art that clearly shows which parts are leather and which aren't: Assassins-Creed-Syndicate-image-4988.jpg

Obviously since it's concept art it's a little different from the game; the hood seems to be made of the same fabric as the coat, and the leather's black, not brown. I'm also not sure what the quilted material on the lapel, collar, and back is, but I had initially assumed leather, so that's probably what I'll use if I make this costume.

Edit: Looks like herringbone's pretty expensive, yikes. I wonder what some good alternatives might be for those of us who can't afford to be perfectly accurate. I was initially thinking I'd use moleskin if I couldn't find anything better, but now I'm wondering if a nice heavy corduroy might do. I want it to be something heavy since I want to be able to use this as an actual winter coat.

Last edited:
It's actually called herringbone.

Duh. Herringbone. Ugh, I feel stupid.

Sweet, thanks for that lead.

Does anyone know if wool herringbone fabric will take dye without ruining the pattern? I never bothered to analyze herringbone in the past, so I don't know how prominent the ribbed pattern is but I really want it to be apparent in my final product.

I'm glad someone else was wondering about this coat (I was actually just about to post the same topic myself when I saw yours...). I spent last night gathering all the ref pics I could find of Jacob, and if it helps any, I found this piece of concept art that clearly shows which parts are leather and which aren't.

Awesome, thanks for the ref pics. I wasn't having much luck finding a good in-game picture of his back, but at least this gives an idea of what it probably looks like. Also, this picture leads me to believe that you're right about the collar/lapel/back being leather. Otherwise, I would have guessed silk or satin.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Technically yes, you can use a cold water dye and it won't damage the wool. That being said, his fabric reads to me as a black and grey mix, not just black.

Agreed. I would probably use a white/black or tan/black fabric and do a couple rounds of watered down grey dye until I got the right shade.

This thread is pretty relevant to my interests - I all I've got so far are the hi-res images that everyone who RSVP'd for the announcement got:
Jacob_Frye.jpg
Wallpaper_3840x2160_BoxArt.jpg

Edit: I forgot, the Gamespot article gallery has some higher res versions of the earlier pictures:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-assassin-s-creed-syndicate-reinvents-stealth-a/1100-6427220/
Still no clear shot of the back, though.
All front views, but pretty good for texture and color, especially anyone trying to do Evie's sweet coat

Last edited:
Hmm... there's one thing that's still really bothering my about Jacob's coat. What's the trim on the edges of lots of parts? What I'm talking about is best seen in the second pic aetherdeus posted and in the pics I posted a couple posts up, and is the greyish looking stuff on the edge of parts such as the collar and lapels, hood, and pocket flaps. Is it leather? Satin? Something else? And more importantly, how exactly would it be done? Is it some particular method? I'm thinking it might be something kind of like the pleather trim I used on my Connor coat: standing_at_the_gate_by_timeywimey_007-d8uzyyg.jpg

I plan to use corduroy (because I've already made one) with quilted black pleather. I'm thinking of trying craft foam to make belts.
I got all my references from the official trailers.

*edit*
Nope... coat I have is the wrong shape. Starting over, but my fabric store only has herringbone that's too light

Last edited:
For anyone else interest in taking on this project, I discovered this little nugget on the Ubiworkshop site for an official replica they're making. Should provide some good reference straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438218241.680593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone else interest in taking on this project, I discovered this little nugget on the Ubiworkshop site for an official replica they're making. Should provide some good reference straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

View attachment 507961

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of half wish I had known they were making one before I went to the trouble of making my own... :p Ah well, even if theirs is probably going to be sturdier, mine at least will probably be turn out to have been cheaper to make than theirs will likely be, and at least this way I got to customize certain little details that I wanted to change.

Also, if anyone is still looking for black herringbone wool, here's the stuff I used: https://www.etsy.com/listing/192550...uery=black herringbone wool&ref=sr_gallery_19

It's a rather faint pattern, so it's not really visible in dimmer light, but it's still quite nice fabric, especially for the price. Three yards was sufficient for my coat, but of course you might need more if you're a bigger person.

I kind of half wish I had known they were making one before I went to the trouble of making my own... :p Ah well, even if theirs is probably going to be sturdier, mine at least will probably be turn out to have been cheaper to make than theirs will likely be, and at least this way I got to customize certain little details that I wanted to change.
Making it yourself was likely the better option, because I don't think anyone would like the $600 pricetag that Ubi put on it.

Is your coat finished? Post it up! I'd love to see it!

Making it yourself was likely the better option, because I don't think anyone would like the $600 pricetag that Ubi put on it.

Is your coat finished? Post it up! I'd love to see it!

$600?! Damn, I was expecting somewhere between $200 and $400, which, while definitely difficult for me, I would still consider acceptable for a nice enough coat. $600 is just too much though; even most of Volante Design's custom unlicensed AC-inspired coats aren't nearly that much. My coat's not done yet, but you can see a few progress photos in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=243636 or on my deviantArt here: http://timeywimey-007.deviantart.com/gallery/55460979/Jacob-Frye. I apologize for the poor quality; I'll make sure I have better lighting when I photograph the completed thing.
(for a sneak peek, here's the completed but as-of-the-picture unattached hood)
assassin_s_creed_syndicate_jacob_frye_hood_by_timeywimey_007-d92y91d.jpg

The outer layer is done except for adding a couple rivets and accessories (like the straps on the back), and the lining is done aside from adding the last few bits of satin trim, which I'll hopefully be doing tonight. I most likely won't be getting the straps in the mail for at least another week or two, so the completed pictures won't be posted for a while. In the meantime I've got my Shay Cormac coat to finish and my Jaime Lannister and Arno Dorian coats to begin...

Where are they discussing this $600 coat? Are there any pictures yet? Between the wool coating, the leather, and all the time and supplies that go into tailoring a nice coat, if it's good quality $600 is perfectly acceptable.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back