Absolute NOOB attempting Daft Punk Tron

teben

Thanks to this guy for inspiration:
@kungfucookies

I've never done anything like this, so I figured why not? I thought it would be fun for me and my GF to go as Thomas and Guy themed in Tron Legacy style for Electric Run in Cleveland this summer.

steve-jung-wazabi-Tron-Legacy-Daft-Punk-costume-design-cghub-concept-art-guy-thomas.jpg

I read up on the Pep process and it seemed pretty easy so I figured I'd give it a go.
I used @jtm's models to start.

First, I went out to Michael's and bought the ultra-heavy cardstock 8.5x11. 2014-06-11 16.36.08.jpg2014-06-11 22.59.35.jpg

Seemed pretty easy. I was using a glue stick but switched to hot glue for the more difficult parts.

I figured the visor would be really tricky. I got the charcoal gray window tint at Wal-mart and cut apart some old plastic folders. It didn't look very nice when I tried to bond it to the plastic folders. so I will eventually peel the plastic off. There were too many bubbles inside and it didn't add that much to the structural integrity.
2014-06-12 15.27.32.jpg2014-06-12 16.18.27.jpg

My gluing is really sloppy for the visor. Hopefully this won't be an issue when I do the next step.

I'll finish this part today and try to resin it tomorrow. I bought Bondo fiberglass resin, sheets and activator as well as Bondo body fill based on what I've been reading around here.
I'm not sure if I'm going to actually put in the fiberglass pads. It seems to have mixed reviews. Especially for my first one, I'm not sure if I trust myself to be able to get it just right.

Will update later! Any tips / advice for first-timers is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dude! I love it. Thanks for the mention (You da man).
We're noobies compared to these pro's on here, I didn't have any tools or anything when I did mine, had to beg borrow and steal.
Love to see another guy out there doing it for the first time like me.
Love how your just going for it, and sharing your work. And doing it for an event too.

Keep it up man you will learn a lot, I'll give you a link from my blog.
Keep us posted.

Good luck tackling Bondo for the first time...it will be fun.

Dude! I love it. Thanks for the mention (You da man).
We're noobies compared to these pro's on here, I didn't have any tools or anything when I did mine, had to beg borrow and steal.
Love to see another guy out there doing it for the first time like me.
Love how your just going for it, and sharing your work. And doing it for an event too.

Keep it up man you will learn a lot, I'll give you a link from my blog.
Keep us posted.

Good luck tackling Bondo for the first time...it will be fun.

wow, thanks for stopping by!!

In true form, the cutting and gluing has taken a lot longer than expected. I enlisted my girlfriend to help me cut.

Her reaction - 40e16aca7f9611e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

But the race is Friday so hopefully I can resin + bondo + sand in time for the evening.
Progress thus far:

2014-06-17 23.25.05.jpg

Couple snags -
Scaling for Guy's helmet. I tried to scale it to regular letter paper. I did the measuring tool and it seemed like it would fit, but when I put it on it was a little bit of a tight squeeze. I'm going to try and shave down the interior supports before I go nuts because I'm worried about it not fitting.

As far as the Tron outfit, I got my zentai suit in the mail this week as well as 2 EL tape kits from adafruit. Haven't tried them out yet.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back