ABS Thermoplastic

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by cyberpyrot, Sep 2, 2015.

1. cyberpyrot

cyberpyrot Well-Known Member

Where do you guys buy it from?

how thick does it need to be?

2. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For larger armour pieces, between 1.5 and 3 mm thick. 2 mm is the most common. Thicker means softer details. Small boxes and such could go thinner.

I get mine from a local supplier that otherwise sells to schools.

I have heard that in the US, you could get a "For Sale" sign at the hardware store pretty cheap that is the right material.

BTW. The search function is very good at this forum. People who build droids often use a lot of ABS sheet plastic, so you could check astromech.net also.

3. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I don't produce stuff in huge quantities, so this may not be the best deal around, but I get mine from here... http://www.usplastic.com/

The price is the best I've found online for high quality large sheets.. key word, High quality. If you get it from some cheaper suppliers the plastic can be lower quality and tend to form a little weird.

It is obviously a lot cheaper to source it locally however.

4. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

On that site, under products, then sheet, which type of material would you recommend?

5. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

You have to search for the ABS. It isn't listed under sheets for some reason.

I buy this ABS. I only have my phone so if the mobile link doesn't work just search for ABS sheet. Here is the link.

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?sku=45356

6. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks!