Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Abe's Axe/Gun

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ssdesigner, May 7, 2012.

1. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just finished this book and I am totally psyched for the film. I plan to go to the local MN Con (CONvergence) as Abe this year and I'm in the process of building his trusty axe.

I know that in the film it also doubles as a gun, and at some point I do plan to do a "hero" version like the photo below (which ia a screencap from a real axe in the Lincoln Archives) The real hero prop is based on this:

[​IMG]

...but for now, I'm just going for a static prop to twirl around a bit :)

So here is a screen cap next to my early mockup:

[​IMG]

I have a lot more screen caps and such if anyone is interested. I'd really love to hear from people building this prop, or interested in it. I have a file for the axe bit that I'd be happy to share. I'm building the bit out of (3) layers of 1/2 thick black sintra. Should have photos of it tomorrow.

-Ss

2. ssdesigner

3. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Wait. What? There's a REAL Axe Gun somewhere?

4. ssdesigner

5. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just finished the book a few days ago and LOVED IT! I'm not sure how I feel about the gun axe since it wasnt in the book however it is a pretty wicked prop.
    [​IMG]

6. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

WOW...Nice prop..Now i hope someone will give me.. THE AXE...:facepalm

7. aschultz

aschultz New Member

That is awesome, may have to make one of these myself! If you get time to add pics please do!

8. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

9. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

I don't think this video is legit. I think it's supposed to be like a viral video for the film. Those are props from the movie. I'm 99% positive.

EDIT: Now I'm 100% positive, after seeing the stake.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  10. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Yeah, it's cute, but absolutely fake.

11. ssdesigner

I'm glad it's fake. Now we know we are looking at a real close shot of the real, screen used hero prop. Awesome!!

-Ss

12. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

****. Now, I want one.

-Rylo

13. Rylo

Correction. I really want one, now.

No problem making the blade and greeblies. Would be nice if that spring catch was an off the shelf item, though. Let the search begin!

14. Sundowner

Team Henry

15. ssdesigner

When this movie hits the theaters....I want people to know that we have this ***** covered....Because this is going to be a prop people WANT.

-Ss

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. Rylo

That catch latch is bugging me. I've seen it somewhere. Everything else looks custom. It would be easy enough to CNC up a batch of handles and greeblies. :thumbsup

I'd like to see the other side of the axe. Guessing it's just another brass track.

-Rylo

17. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah an extremely cool prop.

Can't wait to catch this flick!!

18. Stormleader

19. Braytak

Braytak Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i am def gonna follow this

20. Rylo

I see it, now. Thanks. Good pic! So, the striker is pulling double duty as the axe head latch by keeping it in place when closed? Am I seeing that correctly? Just wrapping my head around the engineering since I'm not familiar with this particular action.

-Rylo

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  21. Sundowner

No reason to fly off the handle....bad joke

22. ssdesigner

Can you elaborate on the make/model of the underhammer assembly used? If it's original (or replica) parts, is the assembly that is worked into the wood axe handle a part of the real gun as well?

-Ss

23. Stormleader

I have no idea the make/model. I was just asked to incorporate one- I worked from photos. It's my understanding they had a guy back east make the hero axe- it may be the same mech I linked to above. I know they said they were going to use a real mechanism.

As far as the hammer being used as a latch to keep the axe head closed- in the "movie world" that may have been the case, but the prop didn't function that way. The axe head just slides back and forth to cover it.

One of the concepts I did had the trigger/hammer assy pop down out from the reciever as the axe head came back. The head of the axe also rotated slightly at the end of it's travel to sit at an angle- but obviously they didn't go that way. I like the way it ended up, it looks period and even plausible.

I remember when they ran down this job for me I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I'd ever heard- but seeing it in action, it ends up being pretty cool.

24. ssdesigner

Thanks for the info Storm, greatly appreciated.

I emailed the guy that runs the blog on under hammer guns to see if he can identify the mechanics/make/model. I'll post as soon as I hear back from him.

-Ss

25. Apollo

Just when you think you are out, we pull you back in again! :lol

26. Rylo

Just a little distraction while the paint dries on other ****! :lol

27. Apollo

:lol It's Good to stay busy! :lol

28. ssdesigner

More pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Ss

29. ssdesigner

Sorry that it's been so long since I've posted an update. I now have the axe blade part of the project going again. This started as (3) pieces of 1/2" thick black sintra (PVC). The pieces were shaped and sanded, then glued together using PVC cement. Three nut/bolts also help hold it together. These shots are of its first skim-coat layer of bondo. The little brown piece atop the blade is lasered out acrylic. This will give the illusion that the handle goes all the way through the bit, and I will be running a 3-4" screw through it, the blade and into the handle to help secure everything together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Ss

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  30. ssdesigner

A little update; the bit is now fully weathered and shaped. Lots of nicks and dents that will become areas where the black will be worn away to show the silver metal beneath when it is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Ss

31. Deviling Master

Deviling Master New Member

Hi, i'm a new user and i found your topic with google.
    I'm interested of the way how you made the blade. Do you have a sheet or a blueprint for the blade?

Thanks

32. Deviling Master

Deviling Master New Member

Hi ssdesigner,
    i don't know if you recevied my previous message but i'm asking to you if you a have a design with measurement for the blade.

With the provided screenshot i can only measure the side of the blade, ma for the top and the depth i don't know how to measure that.

Thank you very much

33. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just have seen this thread and love it!

WOuld be nice to make a decent Abe axe, but I´m unsure about the overall length!?
    Here´s an axe-handle that seems to feature the right shape/ curves...about 90 cm long.
    What do you think Scott?

[​IMG]

Markus

34. Travman93

Travman93 Member

I'm looking forward to seeing how all of these turn out! Maybe it'll inspire me to make my own!