About Selling in the Junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

micdavis

Master Member
I have putting some of my stuff up for sale lately.

Now I have a member who seems to be peeved at me for not even responding to his PMs.

I don't care for this individual's posting style or comments a lot of the time, so I would rather not even deal with him.

I chose to ignore this particular member.

Is this so wrong?

I didn't have anything nice to say so I said nothing at all.

Discuss.

...as the Seller...I'd say it's entirely up to you as to who you choose to sell to, price, terms, etc....after all, if he turns out to be the only offer that you get and you choose not to deal with him, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Ah, the ugly spectre of "Entitlement" rears its ugly head. Nobody can demand anything of you Micky, especially not the "right" to purchase something from you. I say, it's just desserts for that dude posting like a dork. hah.

Editors note - MattMunson is the person MicDavis will not sell to.

:p

I'm with you Mic - I wouldn't want my stuff going to someone I thought was a turd either.

Matt, I'm looking at you, TURD.

stansis.gif

Not wanting to sell to someone is perfectly within your rights. You choose who you want to sell to. All you had to do was say, "No thanks" to my offer, and that would have been that. Your reasons wouldn't have had to come into play.

The fact that you chose not to sell to me wasn't the issue, it was the lack of any response that was my only problem.

What say the jury?

Did I need to say "No Thanks"?

Always nice to be courteous, but if do not see that kind of attitiude in a member, is it not better to simply ignore him.

NOTE: he outed himself.

You have the right to sell to whomever you please.

Just my opinion though.

I don't blame you for not selling to that globe-trotting Munson guy though.

He would'nt be home to get the package any way. ;)

Originally posted by apollo@Dec 9 2005, 02:00 PM
I don't blame you for not selling to that globe-trotting Munson guy though.
[snapback]1132526[/snapback]​

Well that goes without saying.

Originally posted by micdavis@Dec 9 2005, 05:00 PM
What say the jury?

Always nice to be courteous, but if do not see that kind of attitiude in a member, is it not better to simply ignore him.

[snapback]1132525[/snapback]​

...again, your prerogative....

A lack of response can be infuriating. I can see it from both sides. The seller might think, ok, if I say no, then he might come back and demand to know why, yada, yada, yada. The potential buyer might think, hmmm, did he get my email? Should I pm him as well? I don't think I'd call him out over it. I also don't think I'd start a thread to ask if I have the right to sell to whoever. :)
(Puts flame retardant suit on)

You don't HAVE to do anything. But it was impractical to not respond. Common courtesy aside (that means the basic politeness due to all but criminals, cheats, etc.), it was obvious that, receiving no response, the party who PM'd you would wonder what was going on and write again.

Best choice IMO would have been to say something.

The essential point here is covered beautifully by an old saying I've never been able to find the author of:

"Take what you want," said God, "and pay for it."

Originally posted by clutch@Dec 9 2005, 05:07 PM
A lack of response can be infuriating.  I can see it from both sides.  The seller might think, ok, if I say no, then he might come back and demand to know why, yada, yada, yada.  The potential buyer might think, hmmm, did he get my email?  Should I pm him as well?  I don't think I'd call him out over it.  I also don't think I'd start a thread to ask if I have the right to sell to whoever. :) 
(Puts flame retardant suit on)
[snapback]1132533[/snapback]​

:lol ....*ducks*

Although I'm new here, I'll add my $.02 anyway - you may take it or leave it.

A seller shouldn't have to sell to anyone they don't want - no reason is necessary. It's your stuff, period. That being said, I agree with Clutch that a non-response can be very frusterating, especially when the prospective buyer KNOWS (via PM tracking or however) that the seller is getting the PMs and is just not responding. It is really not productive for anyone as the prospective buyer gets pissed because of the non-responses and the seller gets pissed because the buyer keeps sending repeated PMs. It takes no effort at all for teh seller to send a quick "no thanks" to the prospective buyer, and that wil lbe the end of the story.

Originally posted by micdavis@Dec 10 2005, 12:00 AM
What say the jury?
[snapback]1132525[/snapback]​
Hmm... imo a simple message indicating you're not interested to sell to the one making an offer, no matter what type of character he or she may be, would be better than ignoring said person. That way the person will know you are not interested in selling to him or her. If he or she then continues to pm you or e-mail you or write posts on the forum about it you are entitled to ignore him because you told him no.

I would think that most people would understand a "no thank you" to an offer, since it is your right to sell or not to whomever you choose.

But of course, you decide how you want to do things.

Cheers.

Edit: Hmm... thought about editing the post after seeing the replies posted while I was writing this, but I think I'll leave it here. Have fun.

It is your right to do business (or not) with whomever you choose. However, the courtesy of a reply would have diffused this situation before it started.

No one likes to be ignored... I think a simple response would have been appropriate.

Lonnie

His feelings are hurt. The end. No one likes to get their feelings hurt, granted, but if you chose to not respond, don't. If you would have, possibly saying "No, thanks." the person MIGHT have said "Huh? But why???" (at least I would have) only opening up a line of dialogue that you didn't want. If you didn't respond, the potential buyer should have simply moved on. I've sent people offers in the past, sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don't. It doesn't bother me in the least as it is their merchandise and if they don't want my money, it's their choice. I'm cool with that and I dodn't hold it against them in any way. I'm certainly not going to hound the seller with PM asking why I haven't heard back. I figure, he knows, if he wants to sell or trade, he'll let me know.

Not selling to someone and not responding to them is two entirely different things.

I don't really take anything here personal at all. I have real problems to deal with and if I say something that hurts someone's feelings or they say something I don't like, I can't really dwell on it.

Sometimes I even PM the person and tell them it's not personal. Some of these threads are just a place to vent a little.

I don't even remember most peoples names unless I've dealt with them before..

When I put something up for sale though, I think I have a responsability as a seller to at least answer all inquiries.

This could be in the JY with a "SOLD", or a returned PM saying "your a jerk and I won't sell to you" or "Thanks for the interest but it's on hold" etc...

I personally am very persistant and I would send a lot of PM's until I heard something back from the person. Not a great trait, but I get tunnel vision sometimes. I try to treat others with respect and expect the same in return.

Micdavis, if you have another OWK Weathered .45 please let me know.. :D

FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back