About Selling in the Junkyard

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by micdavis, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I have putting some of my stuff up for sale lately.

Now I have a member who seems to be peeved at me for not even responding to his PMs.

I don't care for this individual's posting style or comments a lot of the time, so I would rather not even deal with him.

I chose to ignore this particular member.

Is this so wrong?

I didn't have anything nice to say so I said nothing at all.

Discuss.

2. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Your stuff. You sell who you want to. End of story.

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...as the Seller...I'd say it's entirely up to you as to who you choose to sell to, price, terms, etc....after all, if he turns out to be the only offer that you get and you choose not to deal with him, you have no one to blame but yourself.

4. AndySertin

AndySertin Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the above.... It's yours to sell, do as you please.

5. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member

Ah, the ugly spectre of "Entitlement" rears its ugly head. Nobody can demand anything of you Micky, especially not the "right" to purchase something from you. I say, it's just desserts for that dude posting like a dork. hah.

Editors note - MattMunson is the person MicDavis will not sell to.

:p

6. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm with you Mic - I wouldn't want my stuff going to someone I thought was a * either.

Matt, I'm looking at you, *.

[​IMG]

7. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Not wanting to sell to someone is perfectly within your rights. You choose who you want to sell to. All you had to do was say, "No thanks" to my offer, and that would have been that. Your reasons wouldn't have had to come into play.

The fact that you chose not to sell to me wasn't the issue, it was the lack of any response that was my only problem.

8. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

What say the jury?

Did I need to say "No Thanks"?

Always nice to be courteous, but if do not see that kind of attitiude in a member, is it not better to simply ignore him.

NOTE: he outed himself.

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You have the right to sell to whomever you please.

Just my opinion though.

I don't blame you for not selling to that globe-trotting Munson guy though.

He would'nt be home to get the package any way. ;)

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Well that goes without saying.

11. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol :lol :lol

12. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...again, your prerogative....

13. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

A lack of response can be infuriating. I can see it from both sides. The seller might think, ok, if I say no, then he might come back and demand to know why, yada, yada, yada. The potential buyer might think, hmmm, did he get my email? Should I pm him as well? I don't think I'd call him out over it. I also don't think I'd start a thread to ask if I have the right to sell to whoever. :)
    (Puts flame retardant suit on)

14. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

You don't HAVE to do anything. But it was impractical to not respond. Common courtesy aside (that means the basic politeness due to all but criminals, cheats, etc.), it was obvious that, receiving no response, the party who PM'd you would wonder what was going on and write again.

Best choice IMO would have been to say something.

The essential point here is covered beautifully by an old saying I've never been able to find the author of:

"Take what you want," said God, "and pay for it."

15. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

:lol ....*ducks*

16. Vaapad_VII

Vaapad_VII New Member

Although I'm new here, I'll add my $.02 anyway - you may take it or leave it.

A seller shouldn't have to sell to anyone they don't want - no reason is necessary. It's your stuff, period. That being said, I agree with Clutch that a non-response can be very frusterating, especially when the prospective buyer KNOWS (via PM tracking or however) that the seller is getting the PMs and is just not responding. It is really not productive for anyone as the prospective buyer gets * because of the non-responses and the seller gets * because the buyer keeps sending repeated PMs. It takes no effort at all for teh seller to send a quick "no thanks" to the prospective buyer, and that wil lbe the end of the story.

17. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Hmm... imo a simple message indicating you're not interested to sell to the one making an offer, no matter what type of character he or she may be, would be better than ignoring said person. That way the person will know you are not interested in selling to him or her. If he or she then continues to pm you or e-mail you or write posts on the forum about it you are entitled to ignore him because you told him no.

I would think that most people would understand a "no thank you" to an offer, since it is your right to sell or not to whomever you choose.

But of course, you decide how you want to do things.

Cheers.

Edit: Hmm... thought about editing the post after seeing the replies posted while I was writing this, but I think I'll leave it here. Have fun.

18. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

It is your right to do business (or not) with whomever you choose. However, the courtesy of a reply would have diffused this situation before it started.

No one likes to be ignored... I think a simple response would have been appropriate.

Lonnie

19. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

His feelings are hurt. The end. No one likes to get their feelings hurt, granted, but if you chose to not respond, don't. If you would have, possibly saying "No, thanks." the person MIGHT have said "Huh? But why???" (at least I would have) only opening up a line of dialogue that you didn't want. If you didn't respond, the potential buyer should have simply moved on. I've sent people offers in the past, sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don't. It doesn't bother me in the least as it is their merchandise and if they don't want my money, it's their choice. I'm cool with that and I dodn't hold it against them in any way. I'm certainly not going to hound the seller with PM asking why I haven't heard back. I figure, he knows, if he wants to sell or trade, he'll let me know.

20. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Not selling to someone and not responding to them is two entirely different things.

I don't really take anything here personal at all. I have real problems to deal with and if I say something that hurts someone's feelings or they say something I don't like, I can't really dwell on it.

Sometimes I even PM the person and tell them it's not personal. Some of these threads are just a place to vent a little.

I don't even remember most peoples names unless I've dealt with them before..

When I put something up for sale though, I think I have a responsability as a seller to at least answer all inquiries.

This could be in the JY with a "SOLD", or a returned PM saying "your a jerk and I won't sell to you" or "Thanks for the interest but it's on hold" etc...

I personally am very persistant and I would send a lot of PM's until I heard something back from the person. Not a great trait, but I get tunnel vision sometimes. I try to treat others with respect and expect the same in return.

Micdavis, if you have another OWK Weathered .45 please let me know.. :D

FB

21. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Exactly my position.

His actions and reactions have put me off to the point I wanted no dialogue.

And I will point out again, he outed himself. This thread could have been a simple question and opinion thread.

22. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Yep... but like most things here on the RPF it wasn't that simple. :D

23. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Sometimes the lack of a response sends a much louder message.

Sell to who you want to or not want to, or ignore anyone you want to.

24. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

That's for sure.

25. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One is neither obligated to sell, or to dialog...unless he's accepted money, of course. :)

I've approached people - well, okay...one person - privately offering to buy something and have been ignored. Of course, my offer indicated the person was free to ignore me.

Funny thing is, the very thing I was willing to pay for was given to me freely within several hours, with 2 other complimentary offers, to boot.

If there's a point, I guess it's simply that you reap what you sew. And you never know who you may want to reap from in the future. That, and courtesy is never really free. :D

26. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member

Me, I'm a big believer in embarassing people in public, and making them look like fools. (I do it to myself all the time)

So, personally, I would have just started a thread to draw attention to the guy, and hope that he posts in the thread, therefore revealing to everyone that he just got the shaft in private... and now it's public.

But that's just me.

In the final analysis, again, you're entitled to ignore or sell to anyone you want. While it might suck to be ignored, the ignoree has no RIGHT to be acknowledged. You're not ENTITLED to a reply PM. It might be nice if you're the dude waiting, but there's nothing to say mikey MUST reply.

PS, i will never sell to MicDavis from now on, since his posting style offends me. And his avatars always suck. I never understand them. I will reply to his PMs though, if only to remind him that I am no longer selling to him.........

:p

27. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Your stuff , I say it's up to you to sell to whoever you wish.

28. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Entirely your prerogative,but in my opinion one persons money is just as green as the next....I'd never let my personal feelings get in the way of busines. And since you're selling something it's a business transaction. It's not like there's government top secret national security at stake....or is there? ;)

2 cents you asked

Steve

29. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member

oooh, now there's a controversial opinion. i'm sure that'll get a couple people chiming in. heck, i'll start. I happen to disagree, with full respect, of course.

There's plenty of people I won't sell to. For example, if someone rips me off in one transaction, i sure as heck aren't going to take their money for another... even if it's just as green. i think politics and history plays a BIG part in selling decisions. Money is NOT just as green in my mind.

30. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mic, if everyone posted that yes, you should have contacted him, would that have changed your mind?

31. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I guess I didn't count on being ripped off and still having transactions with the same person....that would change things a tad. :$

I personally have had nothing but good transactions in the 6 years I've been 'round RPF,so I hadn't really even thought about that possibility. Yes bad blood between folks would definitely be a case in which further communication would be severed....which apparently is what all of this is about..... :D If that WERE the case,why would one want to have a financial transaction with said indivdual for fear of further retribution? :confused

The original thread description led me to believe there was a mere personality conflict....petty in my opinion and certainly not one to inhibit me from selling. The seller has the buyers money,so there is a certain faith that must take place anyhow,so there should be at least some mutual respect or a financial transaction is a recipie for disaster.

Best,
    Steve

32. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member

Agreed Steve. you da man.

Keep in mind, MicDavis is nuts. :p

(Ps, for the uninitiated, I consider mike a pal. So this online ribbing is all in fun. Sadly, he wont' respond to my PMs anymore. Was it something I said????? )

33. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's my take on it.

I sell to who I want, when and how I want. I've become selective over the last year or so. I've gone as far as to only offer some runs by invitation only.

It makes for so much less confusion but hey, that's just my thing since I'm inching my way out of prop making.

Why make trouble for yourself by doing business with someone that rubs you wrong?

I respond to 99% of the interest PMs and emails from the RPF as a matter of courtesy but it's difficult when that certain someone just doesn't get it. There are a couple that I must admit would get no reply at all. Call it a character flaw on my part. :angel

Do business with whom you want.

Rylo

34. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just simply post a note on your Junkyard threads:
    "I reserve the right to refuse service or sales to anyone"

35. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

Yeah, I say sell to who you want.

I usually say "No shirt, no shoes, no service". That rules me selling to Munson out, too. :lol

36. Darth Mawr

Darth Mawr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since the dead horse is being beaten, I'll take a lick. You have no responsibility to sell to anyone you do not wish. However you did offer the product publicly in the Junk Yard without any exceptions. You gotta know by now that this will, in fact has lead to an unwanted offer. You did'nt want to deal with this person for what ever reasons. That's is your perogative but if you are going to be selective in the future you might consider a private offering.

As it is, many folks privy to this sale might not bother to respond to your future offerings in the Junk Yard thinking that you will most likely blow them off for some other buyer whom you know better. If you are that selective, why offer the item publicly in the first place?

With all that I've said, I understand that transactions that take place through a forum such as this require much trust since often that's all we have other than a persons 'online personna'. Hell, if I don't trust you I'm not gonna take your money much less give you money.

I'll put down the stick now. :)

37. firstmark

firstmark Well-Known Member

The logical thing would be to quote this guy a higher price or higher shipping costs to help justify your extra effort/concerns in dealing with him. Or state you don't wish your product copied and resold and to compensate for this risk you would have to charge him a higher price.

Then again if the person is going to be a real hassle and you know it, just say you choose not to do business with him. This should be a last resort though.

38. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

It's more than clear that it is entirely your choice who you decide to sell the item just as it is your choice to not sell the item if you do not find a suitable prospective buyer. What makes a buyer "suitable" is entirely up to you. For example, if I were selling a Darth Vader helmet, I would want rather the helmet go to someone who I know will appreciate and take care of it rather than someone who gives me the highest offer and who at the same time I am not entirely convinced is a true enthusiast of Vader. Unless you're selling something that requires a contract, you choose the terms. If one of the terms is that the person be polite and reasonable, then that is entirely your perogative.

Now onto the question of whether or not to answer. Yes I agree with those that have said here that answering would have been the better route...to let the person know that you are not interested in their offer. However, if you are uncomfortable communicating with that person who is essentially a stranger, then IMHO is understandable if you would rather not reply. Let's say you say "No thanks" and he comes back with another offer or asks why? Where do you draw the line? People that are pushy often come back again and again and never quit....so it is best just not to start with the person otherwise it's a waste of your time and in fairness a waste of their time because no matter what they say you'll still not be comfortable dealing with that potential buyer for whatever reason...and you never have to give a reason because it is your personal business, not theirs. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts and yours told you not to reply. For these reasons I believe that you made the right decision.

:cheers,

T

39. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

:lol

Jesus, I forgot what the topic was about after reading Matt's post...

40. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree, its totally up to you to sell to whomever you want, for WHATEVER price you want. . :) Couldn't resist a little thread crossover. But I think its apt enough to include.

41. imdocjoe

imdocjoe Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A simple "No Thanks" is basic human common courtesy. If you think someone else is a an a$$, there's no need for you to repeat the behavior. My 2 cents.

42. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

On the surface I agree with this basic thought however......

As I have been frequently accused, and I am sure many people here will agree, sometimes I simply don't have anything "nice" or courteous to say.

So nothing seemed a better option.

Come on now....disagree with that.

43. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You don't have to say anything nice, just "no thanks". That isn't a compliment, it's just letting them know you read the PM and they aren't getting the item.

If the keep on asking after that, as you feared, that is the time to ignore.

44. morganthirteen

morganthirteen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You certainly don't have to sell to anyone that you don't wish to, no one could argue that.

However, I've always believed in having not just the resolve to make a principled decision like that, but also the character to back it up.

If you were staight up enough to say to me for example that you didn't wish to sell the item because you didn't care for or approve of me as a person, I'd at least appreciate and respect your honesty.

To ignore the person and attempt to try and avoid the situation altogether is taking the easy way out, in my opinion. If you make a decision, you should always expect to have to deal with the results.

Just be honest, and you can't go wrong.

Shawn

45. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

I am new to the boards here, so this was interesting to read. I believe that the seller can sell to whomever he/she wants and also that some form of reply would be courteous.

46. Mookie

Mookie New Member

For not having anything to say, this required a whole thread? If you have your confvictions, stick to them. Apparently you have doubt hence the whole calling of the court of public opinion.

Well...you're getting your answers. Seems most people don't have a problem with you not selling, but by not replying, well it was rude.

Mookie

47. TKBIG

TKBIG Active Member

To sell or not to sell... that is the question... :lol

Sell to who you want to, period. You game, your rules.

Now if someone said to me that someone else is really ticking them off. I'd say use the block function on your message center.
    No mess, no fuss.......and no PM's.

48. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Agreed on the bad form not to reply.
    I think 'micdavis' may have a slight pang of guilt about this and is probably looking for reasurance on his actions hence starting this thread. I hope he gets what he is looking for but again that is totally his business :).

Agreed on the right to sell to who you want to and who you don't want to.

Final point a bit off topic but relevant to Angina Pectoris post please be very aware not everyone on this forum are adults. This has been discussed before and I still believe it is important to put an age limit on the Junkyard section of the forum. So remember when you are arguing away with someone they might be 12 years old :lol :lol

Cheers Chris.

49. EchoStationMoogie

EchoStationMoogie New Member

Good point, Chris.

50. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, no.

The RPF has many members who are not 18. This does and has created a problem with sales here over the years.

More to the point of no reply at all....

I agree, it doesn't take much effort to reply to anyones questions but if the seller has an unpleasant history with the would-be buyer; why bother?.

I wouldn't waste my time responding to someone who hit my radar in a negative fashion. Granted, there are not many in that group.

Having said that, I'm a little confused by the point of this post. If you don't want to sell to Munson, don't. Starting a thread about it makes it a bigger deal than it needs to be. It hardly punishes him and it certainly won't help you move your goods any faster.

I've sold to both of you guys for over half a decade and never had any trouble. I've also bumped heads with both of you at different times but we always end up on good terms.

You'd have to * me off real good for me to refuse your cash. :p

Hope it all works out.

Rylo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.