ABC Warrior kit rework (GA)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by EIDesignStudio, Mar 11, 2012.

1. EIDesignStudio

EIDesignStudio Active Member

I got on board with a build with a friend who wanted to build a whole abc warrior from scratch and make it move and such. I did the research and came across a company called Golden Armory. I don't know much about the company or who runs it. I sent my buddy the link to the place and told him this will save me some time since the head is to scale and I needed one to base my mechs for.

I got the product fast 2 weeks or less. The packing could have been a little bit better since it is a plaster cast and was sent USPS. I will break down each part as I get to it in the kit. I have alot of large scale before pictures so you can see from start to finish. These casts are extremely rough. With the looking around I have done this is not a pure replica of the movie one. No biggy the side plates are totally off from the movie. So I will drop a link to my Photobucket so you can see how it came..

Link

My first piece I will be working with is the lower jaw. I have spend about hour sanding threw some cheap laq. primer. I used the primer as a guide coat so I can see how true it was lets say it's not. :confused I wonder how many recasts were made off each version the details are lost and alot of the seams will have to be remade and built out like the part where it made to look like 2 parts the seam line is barley there and just about flush. I have found alot of pin holes some were so deep I will have to rebuild the bottom surface of the jaw the edges are all broken and large hollow spots.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

Subscribed looking forward to your progress

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Chris and Golden armor are well known here for recasting and putting out crap.

4. EIDesignStudio

Thanks for letting me know. The price of the kit vs the quality is :thumbsdown. I will say that it is NOT movie correct. I will end up retooling it to make it match. I wonder if he had the org mold or casted off of one. I got some pm's asking me if i would sell them when I'm finished but I don't want to be labeled as a Recaster. I know there is a thin line on what counts as that.. I have contacted the person who designed the org one and waiting on a reply to see what he says. I figure if I get it in writing I'm good to go.

5. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Did you say "plaster" cast?

6. Apollo

Looking forward on seeing your progress on this.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you

7. EIDesignStudio

yep sure did. it was my bad it's a cheap plastic casting even though it's solid it's brittle. that is what let me to think it was plaster

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. oota goota

Hey Kustom what have you noticed that isnt movie accurate? I'm aware the temple details are not accurate but my understanding is that that head you are working from would be a second generation cast....so that's a master cast from the original moulds, re-worked slightly and then cast again :)

9. EIDesignStudio

:lol reworked I called it fubared . I'm building out the jaw now to specs just waiting on the filler to cure it will be the third wipe on this. I have taken photos of every step I will wait to post them till the block is done.

10. EIDesignStudio

Well I was able to make some headway with the lower jaw between jobs and my lil one nappin. The lower jaw was a mess alot low spots and voids that I had to clean out. I did some light filler work on the jaw bottom and then I made a shelf to I can set the depth of the over hang I wanted. I tried to make it not as deep but I did not like the look of it. so i made it about 1/8th give or take. I felt if it was made to look like 2 pieces I wanted it so show for sure.

The cut out on the front was just about sanded away so I have to take some clay and sculpt a new look. in the pictures below I have not trimmed the lip yet so it still looks rough. I am also re doing all the lines in the head when waiting on the bondo to dry. Enjoy please post any comments you might have good or bad.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love a 1:1 ABC warrior that didn't suck.

12. EIDesignStudio

So faron this one Im putting a lot of time in on it to make it correct. I've been jumping around on the project with the head vs the jaw. Taking photo of everything I've done with it.I will post them later so i can keep a order to things. Like I've said in the past I trying to buy the right from the designer so maybe make these with his permission of the org. style he had from the movie.last 2 day I've spent re cutting the lines in the skull part since they were shallow. smoothing the inside of the eyes so the lens will fit better. I will end up making new parts for it as far as the rods go and remake some of the pistons for it. I noticed on the one listed for sale on the propstore the front have a moving piston style not just a hole with a rod jammed in it. it's taking me longer to to get thigs right but I believe in Fit and finish VS a quick buck. I ordered the model kit for the whole body and will make up the blue prints on it as well. Well back to the grind

13. oota goota

oh man its looking like a massive mission! I am grateful to you for doing all the measuring up and templating of the beast but I think I am definitely going to scratch build one :)

Good luck and keep going!

14. EIDesignStudio

Here is a teaser of it. I smoothed the eyes cavity and re did the lines on the skull.. jaw is almost done. My son did some work on the mounting base sanding it and making it correct.

15. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Not to derail you, but who's in the cage back there? Chinchilla, ferret, rabbit, guinea pig...? :)

16. EIDesignStudio

Ferret named Turbo we had 2 we lost one last week. she was 8 years old. since you good at finding things if you look in the room with the lights off on the top of the desk you will see my Blade replica from puppet master.

17. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

You should swap PM's with Flagg: he's a ferret freak :). My B-I-L used to have them; couldn't take the emotional trauma when he lost one.

Sorry for the derail. That build is looking great! I'm keeping an eye on this thread; going to do an ABC head one day. BTW, is that GA kit pre- or post retooling?

18. EIDesignStudio

The Jaw is about finished. the head will need alot of work. all i got to do on the head so far is resculpt the the lines and clean the eyes out. All the lil red dot are high spots or flaws in it most of the head clean up will be on the back and the underside of it. like i said it's not bad but the maker should have taking the time to make a better product before listing it for sale.

19. oota goota

looking great Kustom can't wait to see more progress. My build is on hold till around July August I reckon!

20. EIDesignStudio

Here you go here is a better layout of the idea I have for the blueprint. I have not added much to it since I'm still working on the parts, But I like to get a jump on things.:cool

21. EIDesignStudio

sorry I have not posted on here. i've been dealing with some health issues.. so i have not made much progress with the blue prints.. sorry for the delay

22. Apollo

I hope you are getting better and that all will be well soon.

23. oota goota

yup look after yourself, its going to be an epic build no need to rush!

24. EIDesignStudio

Thanks for the kind words. I am under going testing for a form of cancer I will find out in a few days of the out come..

25. oota goota

oh hell dude hope it goes ok

26. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Second that.

The waiting for results sucks big time; hang in there.

27. EIDesignStudio

well so far so good. felling good thanks for the support.. I have been doing as much as I can on my own here is what i have done so far with the blue prints I will be adding the sizes when it's all said and done. I wish I had some help with the tracing aspect in illustrator. it's taking me a long time with my health and trying to spend time with the family. I have all the pictures of all the parts they just need to be traced.. I started to cut some pieces out of foam to start making a resin kit. bouncing around is taking a longer time. I can if i had the help i can scale each part up to scale and make cutting templates in a eps formate so a person can go to a print shop or staples and print each part to scale. so here is the prints so far. sorry about it taking longer then expected.
    Send me a Pm if you think you would like to help out.

28. oota goota

Looking good Kustom! Sorry dude I don't know anything about those sorts of things! But hang in there its great to see you making progress

29. EIDesignStudio

Thanks I'm trying. I talked with another guy from the forum that told me about another program I might try out to see if it's faster.

30. EIDesignStudio

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  31. oota goota

It looks ok to me. Would make it easy to print and cut out to make a template

32. EIDesignStudio

Here is a update of what I have gotten around to doing so far. I have alot of time in the head and the jaw just to get it where it is as of now. I could be just going over board with this but it matter to me that it's perfect. so here some head shots. and of the side plates before. I said on the other thread i was going to mold and cast these in a plaster to i can grind down the wrong stuff and build up from there. plus I have a photo of the 2 egg shape things.. if you look at them neither of them match each other. if you own this kit look for the best one the smaller one of the two make copy of it for the other side. I got it where one fits both sides the other went in the trash.. once I am happy with the head and jaw i will make new pistons as the ones in the kit don't match. if you look at the other thread it looks like lil gas shocks by the mounting backets not a bunk of holes drilled into the head ...OBW non of the so called pistons fit in any holes .. I wish I had more to report on this my health is not up to par but I would like to see this finished so I can move on to the rest of the body...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. oota goota

weird I posted a reply but it never went up. It looks great Ei, wow that's a lot of tidying up to do. Even from the pics you can see that's there alot of faring and leveling to do!

What ear piece are going use for a pattern?

Hey also dude any chance you could do a quick measure of some of the main dimensions of the head? Zorg and Sir Round gave us some great dimensions but I would still like a measurement along the jaw and the overall length of the head would be helpful too!

cheers!

34. Blaxmyth

Blaxmyth Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the updated pics. I hadn't realised how long the 'lump' behind his top jaw was.

35. EIDesignStudio

Sure man I can take some more pictures tommrow. and i will photoshop all the sizes on there then you can steal it and put it on the REf page..

As far as the what ear piece to use I would go with a smaller one. I will post the plaster casting I made of it. I also figured out I wanted to shape the head to fit the Ear piece instead of working the little part. Granted I want to carve some more details and depth I messed up one of my molds for the sideplate.. so I will remake a new one this weekend. I did not make it deep enough so when i poured in the plaster I nailed the counter instead.:facepalm Other than that I fell since I picked this thing back up I getting it done. I think i will make a mold of the tank kit i bought just to work on this. I cant see trying to mold the little parts instead of the whole kit. the molds are Rubber so they will last..:thumbsup

36. oota goota

thanks man!

an accurate set of temple plates would be a really good one to junkyard. I'm sure there's a few people with this head with the original and less accurate temple plates.

casting up the individual components and then building the plates is a good idea. I would happily help out with the fabrication and molding of this part of the project as thanks to Art we have some AWESOME reference pics to work from.

Do you have the complete set of components?

37. EIDesignStudio

Yep I bought the whole tank kit once Art said where the parts came from.. I have one sideplate done I will need to remake the another one I also have casted one of the ear parts came out nice. Let me know how you want to help I have all the stuff. I need to order some more molding material for the head I was using rebound 40 from another project but I think moldstar 15 would be the best bet on this looking into building or making a rotocasting machine. my funds for this are running short since I have to cover my own healthcare. Hey I'm up doing research on the gimbal setup for under the neck the main wishbone area. IT looks hardcore in the movie but it could be as a caster on a swivel. If you want hop in the Chat on here if you want to BS for a bit I'm tryign to snag some screen shoots of various videos i have found on it.. I don't care how long it takes to make this correct but i will do it.. I notice the people who made this kit made a assembly video of the kit I watched it first thing i noticed is the head he used in the video has some fixing done to it cause it is no way in the shape that this one is plus if you notice it's super shinny like fresh primer.....hmmmmm.. O ps the pistons are also wrong in the kit I have a list going here from just watching the movie over and over..
    Let me know G.

38. oota goota

Hey man well yeah I'd be happy to make the other temple plate including molds; it's a nice small build I can do over my lunch times. I could make a couple of molds and post one to you and keep the other. I'm happy to pay for shipping/ kit parts to get over here, let me know what works for you dude

39. EIDesignStudio

not a problem Like i said I bought the whole tank kit for people wanting to build their own templates we can cast the whole tank kit. Or just make the side plates in total. Would you want to hold on to the molds from this?
    Just let me know if you want to talk more about this in detail just inbox me

40. oota goota

41. oota goota

Hey man you still out there?