AAV Drop Ship

Your ideas are always so smart...it just makes us all look so dumb. haha

No way!
Thank you! Michael-san!

Amazing. Those ball joints are are genius

Thank you, Analyzer-san

I thought those joints are not necessary but I wanted to make it.
I worried about the accuracy of the axes but I found out the easy way to make it. The key was the drilling for the first axes. Then I inserted the longer piano wire in the hole and turn until it will horizontal so that I could get the exact point of the next drilling. It's nothing but I would be never able to found it if I didn't make it for real.

Thanks for looking.
I'll take a day off today and gonna watch some movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or something.
'Atomic Shark' sounds interesting. The Japanese title is 'Shin-Jaws' :lol: not a 'Shin-Godzilla' :lol:
Shark, beach of San Diego, of course, bikini! :love:

Thanks for looking!

I may have to borrow that technique. I have some uses for joints like that!

Wow, this is one of the best moments of building. Someone like my way. :love:
Oh, one more thing I forgot to tell.
When you made a first accurate hole, put off from the vise with the drill bit left in the hole. Then rotate the drill a bit. If the ball rotates without any shaking, that's the accurate one. Then rotate the drill again and mark a line around the equator with a pencil. Then withdraw the drill bit and insert the longer wire. Put it back to the vise. Adjust the wire horizontally. Now you can drill the second hole on the top of the equator line. Reading this is complicated, doing is rather easy.
You can get your tips sooner.

If you find a better way, you should tell me!

Thank you, Analyzer-san!

Oh by the way, 'Atomic Shark' was a great comedy.
As long as you could make those movies, world peace will be maintained.

Not too bad. Been working a whole lot. Although I ended up with my toe hurting so bad yesterday, had to go to the doctor, ended up having gout in my toe, which is extremely painful. Thankfully the medicine they gave me is helping a lot. Other than that, I've been working on this video for all my relatives that I'll be showing this next Christmas, but its taking me the whole year to get everything done, as I've written a part for all my family, 30+ people. Getting with them all can be a challenge as we all have our own different schedules. As well as I have a few group parts that will even be harder to figure out. Some of it has to be filmed over a green screen for some effects, which is what I'm trying to figure out now, doing tests and such. So yeah, been busy.
I was going over the first page and saw my post from last year. Funny, as what I was talking about was now from last Christmas, and it all turned out really great and everyone loved it....and now I'm working on a new video for Christmas thats looking really good so far.

Your ingenuity keeps us amazed my friend !o_O:p

Thank you, always, Ged-san!

I was going over the first page and saw my post from last year. Funny, as what I was talking about was now from last Christmas, and it all turned out really great and everyone loved it....and now I'm working on a new video for Christmas thats looking really good so far.

Congratulation on your great achievement!
Making a movie is one of the best fun of all!

Today's work here.

Painted in black and assembling.

LqCYpmA.jpg

2Lt2f8q.jpg

7x2JXZf.jpg

AKbSBhH.jpg

6PGsvxJ.jpg

rXBR6CL.jpg

rfwEL9Z.jpg

wmd9IcB.jpg

Tomorrow, I will set the piano wire for raising up the chassis.
Then I can go for the build of the upper body and the interior.

katsu

Lovely structure and suspension struts (y) (y) :notworthy::notworthy:

I take great enjoyment watching talented people do what they're good at. This is a perfect example.

Amazing as always!

Thank you very much, my friends!
I always appreciate your kind support.
Today, I add a piano wire spring on the suspensions.

It's a very simple way but effective.

Used some 0.8 mm piano wires.

hR5576e.jpg

Now, the chasses raised up from the ground by itself.

I've just estimated the total weight of the whole vehicle except the unsprung weight.
I thought it will be about a bit more than 1.5 pounds.
I measured the load of each spring. That was roughly 1/2 pounds.
I put the spring on all 10 wheels,. It's a wild guess but it may be able to support the total weight and expected extra load.

PZqdr5Y.jpg

JSl9W0V.jpg

39Ewi5O.jpg

Then, here's another discovery I learned this time.

In order to be able to hang this vehicle down from the dropship,
I had to design the height of this vehicle for about 4 inches.
Which will be about 6 feet 8 inches for the actual vehicle.
It's almost the same as the M577 APC that appeared in the movie 'Aliens'. That APC carried at least 13 fully equipped soldiers. So how the vehicle was able to pack them in that small cabin compartment? Also, the vehicle has 4 large wheels but the soldiers were sitting in the place where the axles are usually supposed to be. Where is the motor? Where is the steering mechanism?
Maybe it doesn't matter because it's just a movie.

1605583302882.png

For me, it also doesn't matter because the vehicle I'm building is just a model.
But...
I assumed that my model combat vehicle would be driven by a high power electric motor with a high capacity battery. The battery will be a Lithium-ion battery. So it won't occupy any big space. Now, is it possible to contain the motor inside of each 6 larger wheels? And the steering will be controlled by the differential rotation. So that, any power pack or steering mechanism is not necessary to be on a chassis and be able to save room. Is it possible?
Then I checked the web.
There is. 'In-wheel motor. It really exists. I didn't know... 5 years ago, by a Japanese company.

1605584557394.png

1605584716173.png

OK, I take this!!

There are so many things to know.

Thank you for watching!

Katsu the innocent.

Last edited:
Hub-Motors have been around for a while. I would assume it's the way to go for a vehicle like yours. Every wheel can be driven individually, no complicated gears and transmissions needed and it's all electric.

Before Katsu-san finishes with this, both it and the drop ship will be functional...

The basis for the M577 was an airport tractor. Definitely no internal room to make a troop transport...

1605644361939.png

Hub-Motors have been around for a while. I would assume it's the way to go for a vehicle like yours. Every wheel can be driven individually, no complicated gears and transmissions needed and it's all electric.

Oh, yes, I did my homework yesterday, too.
The pics below are a prototype EV 'Eliica' developed by Keio-University in 2004. 8 wheeler hub-motor EV. It marked Top speed was 370 km/h (about 238 mph), cruising range 440 km. Standing Start to 100 mph was 7 seconds.:eek: (Porsche 911 was 9.2 seconds)
A company "SIM-Drive" has been established to commercialize the technology of electric vehicles such as Eliica, and prototype vehicles are being developed on the premise of mass production.

1605665424977.png
1605665437679.png

And Ohio university developped 'Buckey-Bullet' marked 508 km/h (315 mph) :eek:!!

1605665603372.png

I want to drive one of those before I die.

I think you have ventured from display model to prototype :lol:

These will be rolling off the assembly lines sometime in the near future

Yep, I got a call from the DARPA and secretary of defense of the US government, last night.:lol:

Your build threads and you and your daughter’s YouTube videos pretty much make up 70% of my on line time these days.

Wow! thank you very much, MoleRat-san!

Before Katsu-san finishes with this, both it and the drop ship will be functional...

The basis for the M577 was an airport tractor. Definitely no internal room to make a troop transport...

View attachment 1368972

In 1987, after I saw that movie, I often got down to the ramp area and played the Colonial Marines beside the towing vehicle with the guys of the airport ground handling.

’Alright people, on the ready line, Marine!!'
'Are you lean? Are you mean?'
'What are you?!'

’We are Badly Low-Income Earners!'

Those were the funny and happy moments before the hard day's work.
Most of those guys were twenty-year-old youth.
Hey, I was only 30 years old. :sick:

Today I spent the time drawing the vehicle's exterior.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back