AAV Drop Ship

Brilliant designs, and beautiful detailing.
Daughter #1 certainly has a share of your talent and work ethic Katsu-san.....,
Congrats to her !:love:

She does absolutely beautiful work.
That dress is a work of art!
Brilliant designs, and beautiful detailing.
Daughter #1 certainly has a share of your talent and work ethic Katsu-san.....,
Congrats to her !:love:

Thank you, my friends. She is sending her best regards and many big kiss to you all!

I've finished to built all the claws and trimmed them and polished.

Y5SC971.jpg

Now here is a problem.
Both shafts have nine claws and go thru three bulkheads. If these claws are too tight for the shaft, it will be very difficult to make them thru smoothly. -Actually, they were- But if you make them too loose, it must be very hard to tighten up these thick aluminum again after you set it up. -Actually, it was- You need an appropriate friction to hold them.
Since these claw pieces are hand made with flat aluminum sheets, it is very difficult to make each pieces completely accurate. So I made them rather a bit narrow for the shaft to put thru. Then I widen these to be the exact diameter to fit the shaft like this. You see the marker line around the punch. Set each pieces on to this punch and hammer it until the pieces reach the marker around the punch. So that I can get the exact diameter to fit the shaft.

o1G1Iqk.jpg

I2yaKnS.jpg

Setting them up was a kind of a long shot - If I messed, it will be very difficult to do it again - but fortunately it worked.

Hooking position.
lLl0D8O.jpg

Release position.
hRuXTFN.jpg

9XVZ03j.jpg

0mNnmCY.jpg

V7zU0Nk.jpg

I can't say it is completely accurate about uniformity.
But I should accept the limit of my ability and should be compromised.
Bla bla bla.... Heck, I just wanted to say ' That was a tough part! ' :lol:

A few more detailing and touch up including some weathering, then this part will be finished.

Thanks for looking,

Katsu

Last edited:
You come up with such efficient solutions.

And I wouldn't worry too much about uniformity. For one, the bay won't be easily seen. Also, soldiers and crews often do repairs in the field that would make the engineers twitchy if they saw it.

And I wouldn't worry too much about uniformity. For one, the bay won't be easily seen. Also, soldiers and crews often do repairs in the field that would make the engineers twitchy if they saw it.

Cool reasoning there mate - gonna try to convince myself of this during future builds (where applicable ! ;))....

Haha, thanks, Tom-san. I will put the caution sticker there, 'Do not look more than 5 seconds '.
Wait a minute, those things will be a backfire. :rolleyes:

That is a tight fit!

Seems to be working nicely

Thanks, Analyzer-san! I hope it will.

Cool reasoning there mate - gonna try to convince myself of this during future builds (where applicable ! ;))....

Can’t wait to see what these ‘claws’ are holding onto Katsu-san !

I'm an expert of 'Reasoning Technology'!

In fact, I want to start to build a ground vehicle for a change.

katsu

Katsu-san! I see you are up to your usual awesome projects! This looks amazing and huge!
Good to see your work again. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Cool Bananas !

:lol: Thanks!!

That's amazing!

Thank you very much!

That weathering looks amazing!

Thank you!!

Thanks always!

Katsu-san! I see you are up to your usual awesome projects! This looks amazing and huge!
Good to see your work again. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Ohhhh! kerick-san!! How nice to see you here again!
How are you and your family. I hope you all is well and doing fine!
We are all fine now and I have retired my job a couple of years ago and making models everyday.
This is my 7th project. I hope you like it. Thank you very much for finding me here.
I want to know if you are tackling any new project now.

All the best,
katsu

:lol: Thanks!!

Thank you very much!

Thank you!!

Thanks always!

Ohhhh! kerick-san!! How nice to see you here again!
How are you and your family. I hope you all is well and doing fine!
We are all fine now and I have retired my job a couple of years ago and making models everyday.
This is my 7th project. I hope you like it. Thank you very much for finding me here.
I want to know if you are tackling any new project now.

All the best,
katsu
Lately I've been working on an RF-23 recon version of the YF-23. I'm to the point of having to choose paint colors and I'm completely stuck. Two tone grey or all black like the retired SR-71. What do you think?
The family is doing great. My son got married and my daughters are both working hard at their jobs. Maybe I can retire soon and open a tavern in my kitchen. Sounds like a great idea!

Lately I've been working on an RF-23 recon version of the YF-23. I'm to the point of having to choose paint colors and I'm completely stuck. Two tone grey or all black like the retired SR-71. What do you think?

That's a cool project! I thought that F-23 should have been chosen for the next US fighter.
You should choose all black because I'm gonna paint mine with dark gray. :p

The family is doing great. My son got married and my daughters are both working hard at their jobs.

Wow, congratulation for your son! You'll be a gran pa soon! And I'm so happy to hear your daughters are doing fine.
My daughters are doing fine, too but they are both looking for the good partner to be married.
Here we having a lack of cool guy like their father. :rolleyes:

Maybe I can retire soon and open a tavern in my kitchen. Sounds like a great idea!

Ha ha ha! I'm doing that already!
Check out the post #14 in page 1 of this thread!!:lol:
It's so fun! I made my wife get weight though.

Please put up your RF-23! and your previous and recent work too.
People here should see them!

Best regards,

Katsu

I've set up a thread for the RF-23 under this section. I hope you like it. I'll post a few other things as I have time.
Reconsidering the tavern in the kitchen, maybe a British style pub in the basement. I'll have to clean out the junk down there first!

I've set up a thread for the RF-23 under this section. I hope you like it. I'll post a few other things as I have time.
Reconsidering the tavern in the kitchen, maybe a British style pub in the basement. I'll have to clean out the junk down there first!

I've seen it and love it!
Wow, British style pub in the basement - you western people always have a basement floor - I envy you but it's so cool!
So you need to set a beer server.... of course you do. All the geeks living around your place will come to hangout.
It's not healthy sight but I still envy you.
Go get your basement clean up! And I'll call up the city health office for a complete inspection.

Canopy
I said I'm gonna vacuum forming for the canopy but while I taking a nap, A thought came up that the vacuum forming might not the optimal way. Because,
1. I am gonna use 2.0 mm thick clear acrylic sheet.
2. I have a long experience that thick acrylic sheet need a very high temperature to be softened.
3. If you raise the temp so high, there always a risk of bubbling inside.
4. On the other hand, If you heat up the sheet up to an appropriate temp,
that 2.0 mm sheet will be too hard for shaping with the suction power of the home vacuum cleaner.
5. Since the canopy is simple shape, I thought another easy way might work as well.

So I tried a heat pressing.

Lately, I often feel I am making a long excuse.
In short, I always hate doing vacuum forming.

Heat up my oven up to 200 degree C.
Attach a pair of pull handle on a both side of the acrylic sheet and put it in the oven and wait for about 2 minutes.
Then put the sheet on a plug and press by pulling a both handle very hard. You don't forget to put on a pair of oven gloves.

AMaH5JW.jpg

GCVgbrk.jpg

49TCGmB.jpg

ueBx979.jpg

I think it's an acceptable quality.
That means I want a better one.
I'm gonna fix a plug a little bit and make it a few more.

Thank for looking!!

katsu

Attachments

• nNjIQoZ.jpg
    nNjIQoZ.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I’ve never tried vacuum forming, it looks difficult and I’m worried about using my oven to heat up plastics ...., but what you’ve posted may change my mind down the road.
What do you use to cut the styrene so ‘cleanly’ after it’s shaped Katsu-san , especially considering the thickness (2mm) of the piece, and the fact that it’s also clear styrene ? :unsure:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back