Aaron Sorkin’s TV Series THE NEWSROOM

Really, another behind the scenes of a TV show program? He didn't learn from Sports Night and Studio 60? At least this time he can't fail at writing sketch comedy so there's some hope.

Unless Tina Fey is working on a similar show, then he's screwed :lol

Really, another behind the scenes of a TV show program? He didn't learn from Sports Night and Studio 60? At least this time he can't fail at writing sketch comedy so there's some hope.

Unless Tina Fey is working on a similar show, then he's screwed :lol

Well at least you're going into it with an open mind.

Well at least you're going into it with an open mind.

Sure Mic, because I can't criticize his lack of creative variety AND enjoy what he produces. I've enjoyed everything Sorkin has done, I'd just like to see something that isn't a "behind-the-scenes" schtick.

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, and I like all of his work. I can still want to see something from him that doesn't involve a waif of a girl kicking the ass of bad guys twice her size.

I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The message about journalism descending into the crapper and losing sight of its duty to report fact in favor of sensationalism and earning advertising dollars was particularly refreshing to see. No doubt partially responsible for some of the bad reviews from the media :)

Moon director Duncan Jones just retweeted my comment about The Newsroom :).

Duncan_Jones_Newsroom_tweet.png

I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The message about journalism descending into the crapper and losing sight of its duty to report fact in favor of sensationalism and earning advertising dollars was particularly refreshing to see. No doubt partially responsible for some of the bad reviews from the media :)

X2. At first watch I thought it came across as a bit preachy on the subject.

However....the more I thought about it, I think they're right to be preachy so these current versions pull their heads out and realize they should be doing a responsible job and not sensationalizing stuff to make a buck.

The downward spiral began when the genius' in charge decided to dump simple news divisions and fold them into their entertainment divisions. The news isn't there to entertain or make a buck, it's there to inform the public from a non-biased POV.

Thought this was worth a chuckle. I share this with the preface that I do like how Sorkin handles dialogue, it just struck me as amusing.

So Newsroom takes place two years ago, huh? I guess that's better than just making up fake news, but Sorkin's commentary on how the media handled things two years ago could give the show an oddly dated feel.

Don't have HBO, but looking forward to seeing this on Netflix of Hulu or DVD down the line. I snark on Sorkin, but I do enjoy his work, and I hope that he's able to get a better turn of things with this show at HBO than he had with his ABC and NBC shows.

I haven't seen it. Yet. But, if any of Sorkin's previous works are anything to go by, it's likely to be a hit or miss. Unfortunately, he doesn't have Thomas Schlamme with him this time around, and when they work together, they tend to be in synced up. I think it's a good premise based on rumors, and heresay, but, maybe he should have waited a few years? On the other hand, that's what they said about West Wing too.

Their broadcast was different how? Looked like what is already on the news. Hit piece from a certain bias. They were practically salivating at the chance to slam BP and Halliburton, skipped the EPA regulation angle entirely, blamed lack of enough Gov't well checkers on lack of funding that "should be paid by oil companies" etc.. Hit piece. Always looking for the gotcha moments. I don't see ground breaking TV here. Entertaining? So so, but it has potential. Acting was good. Story predictable every step of the way.

Vivek,
Thanks for the heads up on the Youtube link. Let us know if they do it again.

Doug

You know what I hate? TV execs won't let you pitch them behind the scenes at a TV show series ideas. The only people who get to do those are Aaron Sorkin/Tina Fey level writers. It just aint fair!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back