Aaron Sorkin’s TV Series THE NEWSROOM

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Really, another behind the scenes of a TV show program? He didn't learn from Sports Night and Studio 60? At least this time he can't fail at writing sketch comedy so there's some hope.

Unless Tina Fey is working on a similar show, then he's screwed :lol

3. Vivek

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Well at least you're going into it with an open mind.

5. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Sure Mic, because I can't criticize his lack of creative variety AND enjoy what he produces. I've enjoyed everything Sorkin has done, I'd just like to see something that isn't a "behind-the-scenes" schtick.

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, and I like all of his work. I can still want to see something from him that doesn't involve a waif of a girl kicking the * of bad guys twice her size.

6. Vivek

A reminder, the show premieres tonight on HBO at 10 pm (Eastern).

7. Vivek

That was a strong pilot episode, enjoyed it and I hope they can keep the momentum going.

8. Coldblackice

Coldblackice New Member

How did others feel about the episode? I've read nothing but terrible reviews for it (unfortunately!).

9. grimlock2d

grimlock2d Well-Known Member

I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The message about journalism descending into the crapper and losing sight of its duty to report fact in favor of sensationalism and earning advertising dollars was particularly refreshing to see. No doubt partially responsible for some of the bad reviews from the media :)

10. Vivek

Moon director Duncan Jones just retweeted my comment about The Newsroom :).

[​IMG]

11. cboath

cboath Master Member

X2. At first watch I thought it came across as a bit preachy on the subject.

However....the more I thought about it, I think they're right to be preachy so these current versions pull their heads out and realize they should be doing a responsible job and not sensationalizing stuff to make a buck.

The downward spiral began when the genius' in charge decided to dump simple news divisions and fold them into their entertainment divisions. The news isn't there to entertain or make a buck, it's there to inform the public from a non-biased POV.

12. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Thought this was worth a chuckle. I share this with the preface that I do like how Sorkin handles dialogue, it just struck me as amusing.

So Newsroom takes place two years ago, huh? I guess that's better than just making up fake news, but Sorkin's commentary on how the media handled things two years ago could give the show an oddly dated feel.

Don't have HBO, but looking forward to seeing this on Netflix of Hulu or DVD down the line. I snark on Sorkin, but I do enjoy his work, and I hope that he's able to get a better turn of things with this show at HBO than he had with his ABC and NBC shows.

13. Vivek

Saw that Sorkinisms video earlier today, surprising and pretty * funny :).

14. Vivek

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  15. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

I think you found a new admirer :love :love

16. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

I haven't seen it. Yet. But, if any of Sorkin's previous works are anything to go by, it's likely to be a hit or miss. Unfortunately, he doesn't have Thomas Schlamme with him this time around, and when they work together, they tend to be in synced up. I think it's a good premise based on rumors, and heresay, but, maybe he should have waited a few years? On the other hand, that's what they said about West Wing too.

17. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Their broadcast was different how? Looked like what is already on the news. Hit piece from a certain bias. They were practically salivating at the chance to slam BP and Halliburton, skipped the EPA regulation angle entirely, blamed lack of enough Gov't well checkers on lack of funding that "should be paid by oil companies" etc.. Hit piece. Always looking for the gotcha moments. I don't see ground breaking TV here. Entertaining? So so, but it has potential. Acting was good. Story predictable every step of the way.

Vivek,
    Thanks for the heads up on the Youtube link. Let us know if they do it again.

Doug

18. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

You know what I hate? TV execs won't let you pitch them behind the scenes at a TV show series ideas. The only people who get to do those are Aaron Sorkin/Tina Fey level writers. It just aint fair!

19. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Everybody knows the money is in police procedurals and sitcoms featuring fat guys with hot wives.

20. Daemon324

Daemon324 Active Member

Nah, I prefer the dramas/sitcoms that you constantly learn, whether it be big or small.

21. cboath

cboath Master Member

Wow! Thought tonights was great.

22. Vivek

Another great episode including some good laugh out moments. Loved the exchange and rapport between Maggie (Alison Pill) and Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.).

23. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

I love this show. Great well rounded cast and Jeff Daniels is amazing. Happy to see him finally getting work

24. wh0urdady

wh0urdady New Member

I love this show, Jeff Daniels does a great job. I was laughing out loud a few times last night

25. cboath

cboath Master Member

I have a question about that beginning scene - the long meeting about the new format of the show. Just how hard is it to write and execute that type of scene? Nearly everyone was involved, the two main characters are basically doing two completely different things and the staff has to balance out both. Just watching it seemed like it had to be very hard to write, act, and direct. Yet it was done exceptionally well.

"Is your name really Gary Cooper?" :)

26. Vivek

Last week's episode was a nice change with its different narrative structure. And this week was another great episode. The focus on the character stories and the bigger picture with the news, continues to be so well balanced out. And * my teary eyes.

27. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

I thought the final scene in the control room / studio was a little over the top, even for Sorkin, BUT there was a lot of great stuff in last night's ep. I loved his take on reality tv and gossip/reality tv culture (and I PRODUCE reality tv :lol) - the message there was great - but it also makes me kinda sad as I realize voices like this seem to be getting more rare these days...

28. cboath

cboath Master Member

I find it surprising how often I scan the headlines in the paper, or yahoo, or msn or wherever and just tick things off into a category of 'why would anyone care' or 'this isn't news'.

Who gives a bleep if <insert startlet here> got a hair cut? or two starlets wore a similar dress? This is not NEWS! Yet there is complete freaking INDUSTRY built just around that! All that TMZ, People, US, and all those other magazines. But apparently that wasn't enough, so they had to invent a whole other industry so people could fawn over non-celebrities, too. Real Housewives of wherever, seriously, who cares?!?!? People like the Kardashians and whoever this Snooki person is have no business being national or even statewide figures. Yet this industry follows them like the earth would end if we didn't know what they had for lunch.

Off the rant :)

I did like the bit last night about how it's ok for flat out liars (and that's an understatement) to lie like there's no tomorrow and rip people for lying who aren't acutally lying.

That and stations watching each other and not reporting the news, but reporting other stations reports so they don't seem left behind - even if their wrong. Nailed a big problem with news today. Being right isn't import, just being first.

News stations need to watch it and realize they're being truthful on the state of the industry and take it back to what it should be.

29. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

All caught up on eps.

EP1 - thought it was good, showed promise. I was happy.
    EP2 - I thought this was the worst trash Sorkin has ever put on tv. The two female leads were set up strong in ep1 and in this ep they were reduced to the worst teen drama levels. Sort of shocked by how bad the writing was. At the time I said, one more week like this and I am out.
    EP3/4 - Ok, it got a little better. There are still some real groan worthy scenes/dialogue. But it is improving. Definitely more good than bad in these eps.

If it was anyone but Sorkin I wouldn't hold the bar so high. He has written so many amazing women characters in his shows. Has he had a recent divorce? 'Cause he is not writing great for them in Newsroom at all.

Still watching. I think there is a lot of room to grow and improve. I hope.

30. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I've never been a Sorkin fan, and I got about 10 minutes into Newsroom and I had to turn it off. I've tried to watch it a few times since, and have watched a few scenes from later episodes and just cringed. The show is just too self aware and self important for my tastes. The reason I'm interested is because of Jeff Daniels, who I think is fantastic. But there is something incredibly off putting about this show for me. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet.

31. Vivek

The Newsroom still going strong and quite a surprising turn of events in this week's episode.

32. cboath

cboath Master Member

Anyone catch the bit about 10 days ago where dork in fired all the writers who are working on season 2 right mow except his ex because he didn't like the way the female characters were written on season 1?

33. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That can only be an improvement. It's an embarrassment given Sorkin's history of awesome female characters.

34. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Member

I really like the show, but I did notice some issues with the females in the show. They should be better.

I'll have to look into that for myself. Big move, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for everything that happened behind the scenes there.

35. Vivek

Just caught up to another fantastic and emotional episode of The Newsroom, with many funny moments as well.

36. alienscollection.com

That last moment on the plane with the pilots and Don was dripping with fromage...

37. alienscollection.com

38. Vivek

The Newsroom season one finale wraps up, so take a bow for consistently giving good episodes of entertainment. Long wait for next season.

39. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

*bow*

I had no idea there were Sex and the City tour buses.

40. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I absolutely L O V E this show! This is most certainly one of the most relevant shows on TV, now - or ever! It's full of content, compelling drama, humor, controversy and so brilliantly lays out how American politics has been high-jacked by radical right-wingers and the media has fed the dulling minds of it's population with dross and inverted values.

Unfortunately, this is a 'thinking person's' show, so most of the audience that SHOULD watch this, sadly won't.

Can't wait for the next season!

41. Jack Hawksmoor

Jack Hawksmoor New Member

I liked this show better when they called it "Lou Grant".

42. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  43. Vivek

So glad that The Newsroom season 2 begins tonight.