AA/DST Phaser Metal Parts Sellers Inquiry

TankedThomas

So I know about Tony/FederationPhaser and have bought metal parts for my DST TOS phaser from him before, but I was wondering if anyone knew about the other sellers who stock these parts. They seem to be identical, with some exceptions, but I wanted to check before buying anything from them over Tony (not that there's anything wrong with buying from Tony, mind you, but options are nice).

There's this seller I found, although they don't seem be restocking parts (maybe just selling their own, purchased elsewhere?): https://www.ebay.com/usr/gingerscollectables2014/
I also found this seller, who I soon found was a member here and over on TFW: https://www.ebay.com/usr/jonpaultrek2012

Jon Paul seems to make his own components but they are identical to Tony's from what I can tell (except that some are unfinished, and he has YouTube tutorials on how to do those finishes), although he also stocks some different emitter nozzles. Does anyone know if there is any relation between the two other than the fact that they make similar (if not identical) metal parts?

Also, does anyone know how the emitter nozzle with emitter sled of Jon Paul's works?
Based on the description, it seems the sled is just adjustable so you can choose how far the acrylic emitter will protrude, but I was hoping there would be a way to use the ratcheting piece to extend and retract the sled. I'm guessing this isn't possible without engineering a new emitter nozzle though. Any ideas please? It's definitely a feature I'd like on my phaser.

Finally, does anyone know how to turn the metal, ratcheting side-knob (i.e. the dilithium crystal chamber cover) into a working switch of some description? I can't think of a way to make it into an actual switch, since the back is just flat aluminium with no protrusions or masking.

Last edited:
Message Sporak. I ordered some extra crispy from him a couple years ago and I think he had some other metal and clear phaser parts. Worth a try.

Please familiarize yourself with the rules if you are going to post on the RPF. Live eBay auctions are not allowed to be posted here unless it is YOUR auction.

Please familiarize yourself with the rules if you are going to post on the RPF. Live eBay auctions are not allowed to be posted here unless it is YOUR auction.
My apologies, I did read the rules but I didn't realise linking as a reference wasn't allowed. I'll edit my post to remove that auction link.

TankT, what did you find out? I was under the impression that Tony and jonpaul somewhat merged, did they?
Either way Iv'e bought from Tony before, one complete phaser and a little extra parts and he's a pleasure to deal with and always gets back to me quickly.
JonPaul, is also show's tutorials which you don't see alot from builders who like to hide their secrets:)
Unless you have already seen and i'm way late Jonpaul does sell the custom emitter for the Hero sled.

Hello all. Jon-Paul Here...I make all my own stuff and keep lots of backstock. Tony and I have seperate interests and I often still get stuff from him as sometimes a build just needs "The Tony Touch". I can always be tracked down using google search jonpaultrek2012 OR get in touch with me on the RPF system.
Someone pointed out I keep no secrets. This is true. Matt Jefferies designed all this stuff. And, long ago another team of prop artisans and machinists did the engineering. I work at reverse engineering as accurately as possible. I feel it right to give away the knowledge freely given to me.
jonpaultrek2012 - Google Search

So I know about Tony/FederationPhaser and have bought metal parts for my DST TOS phaser from him before, but I was wondering if anyone knew about the other sellers who stock these parts. They seem to be identical, with some exceptions, but I wanted to check before buying anything from them over Tony (not that there's anything wrong with buying from Tony, mind you, but options are nice).

There's this seller I found, although they don't seem be restocking parts (maybe just selling their own, purchased elsewhere?): gingerscollectables2014 on eBay
I also found this seller, who I soon found was a member here and over on TFW: jonpaultrek2012 on eBay

Jon Paul seems to make his own components but they are identical to Tony's from what I can tell (except that some are unfinished, and he has YouTube tutorials on how to do those finishes), although he also stocks some different emitter nozzles. Does anyone know if there is any relation between the two other than the fact that they make similar (if not identical) metal parts?

Also, does anyone know how the emitter nozzle with emitter sled of Jon Paul's works?
Based on the description, it seems the sled is just adjustable so you can choose how far the acrylic emitter will protrude, but I was hoping there would be a way to use the ratcheting piece to extend and retract the sled. I'm guessing this isn't possible without engineering a new emitter nozzle though. Any ideas please? It's definitely a feature I'd like on my phaser.

Finally, does anyone know how to turn the metal, ratcheting side-knob (i.e. the dilithium crystal chamber cover) into a working switch of some description? I can't think of a way to make it into an actual switch, since the back is just flat aluminium with no protrusions or masking.
Hi Thomas; my stuff is all different than Tony's, for example my 10 turn dials are engraved vrs. other methods like anodized screening.

All my stuff is finished but none is anodized so additional finishing can be done (like very high polishing). Anodized parts are nearly impossible to mirror polish or otherwise weather as the anodized surfaces are very very hard. For example P1 side rails have finished tops/bottoms but the edge is satin. Some like a mirror polish edge (Like a Roddenberry), others prefer a grained edge like a John Long P1.

The nozzle sleds work quite well and can be returned (I always take returns, happy is important to me). The sleds are reverse engineered from the Greg Jein and John Long P2 hero designs. The emitter pushes out a fixed distance when the P1 is seated, just like the Greg Jein Hero.
On ratcheting nozzles; I have a Roddenberry nozzle in my archive collection and it does not ratchet. As far as I know the Greg Jein does not ratchet. The ratchet feature is common to the Wand Company emitter most likely because the Greg Jein Hero detail was not compatible with filling the interior with special effects electronics. Other ratcheting nozzles facilitated using an "Art Asylum / Diamond Select Brand" toy phaser shell while providing a retractable emitter "effect" ala the Greg Jein Hero. A compromise if you like.

The side turn is easy to convert to a switch. Create a mini-leaf switch with some scrap 0.010 or 0.016 brass and something to insulate between then (epoxy on thin cardstock works great. Solder your (2) wires in FIRST ! Glue and test. Next, you need a bump on the back of the side turn; I use a very short M2 button head screw and epoxy it into a shallow hole. Overall this detail is quite similar to the switch detail on a John Long P1 thumbwheel. Do some R&D and I think you will quickly see what I mean.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back