AA/DST Klingon STIII Disruptor upgrading

VioletSun

Hello RPFers!

Yes its me again, this time with something Star Trek.

I've always loved this show, I was lucky enough that my mother showed me when the BBC started a re-run of TOS in the original running order in the 90s. I was pretty instantly hooked but we could never afford the whole series on VHS. I was lucky enough that we got the first 6 films though and I watched them a LOT. As soon as I started cosplaying I knew my prop collection had to have a big pile of Klingon weapons and for me Commander Kruge's Pistol is one of the 'must haves'. Its big, brutal and intimidating.

So I got myself one of the AA/DST Star Trek III Disruptors. The sounds are awful but the body shape seemed pretty accurate, but I decided to mess with it and improve it anyway. I've been comparing it to as many screenshots and photos of authentic screen used disruptors as I can. The underside of the forward section of the main body doesn't tuck in quite as far as it should where it connects to the main body but I can live with that (at the moment). The place I feel this replica falls down the most is the front emitter. The outer most piece (which I guess is a rudimentary front sight) is far to thick compared to any of the screenshots, the rear part where the upper rods join is also entirely the wrong shape. The piece that sits around the emitter has the opposite problem with being far too narrow.

I've stripped down my first disruptor. Most of it comes apart easily, other than the front which is glued down the centre, I just slowly worked an Xacto in to mine to split it apart. From there I sawed the back of these pieces down to make the shape closer. I'll have to get some new tubes but I was planning on replacing those with aluminium anyway. I then sawed good 5mm of one of the pieces before putting them back together. I re-cut a hole through this new piece as I'm planning on running a piece of tubing all the way through to strengthen the whole assembly. I've started fabricating a new piece to go around the emitter. Here's some photos comparing my new front section to the stock one.

20161030_021707.jpg 20161030_021600.jpg 20161030_025211.jpg

I think as this is now my third thread and I've yet to post a finished project. I'm going to get a reputation as a serial un-finisher soon!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back