A Tale Of Two...make that Three...Midgrade Phaser IIs

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm taking a break from a recent string of Star Wars props (I'm a little burned out right now on lightsaber hilts, truth be told) so I decided to jump over to some pending Trek projects...in this case, 2 midgrade Phaser IIs. This is a work-in-progress project as of this date.

I have completed one fiberglass midgrade Phaser II as a Season 3 version, meant to appear as a model that is fresh from the Paramaount prop shop, complete with brushed-on paint, very light weathering, and a semi-gloss overcoat. This one is fully completed.

The second fiberglass midgrade Phaser II, which is not yet competed (the Phaser one was just recently started, this weekend, and the brass rod has not been added to the Phaser II), is meant to represent a more weathered, "50 year old prop".

Opinions?

15E123FF-66C3-47FE-9196-47132F918F66.jpeg

DA6F2272-4389-49B8-949C-5288C73ABF7C.jpeg

5149F7FA-B14B-4E1C-8B50-F529017E7AD8.jpeg

835A2634-4874-433F-BA13-4398DC546073.jpeg

7454BFFF-7DDA-4679-A3CB-66ED5B8C05B2.jpeg

EFBFE494-83F2-4E4F-96D8-0809A5624080.jpeg

AD2A5E38-ADB3-4CF5-89E1-E7288F97E879.jpeg

9E1A9364-3BD1-4304-BAC1-0E9165600FC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, yes, “prop shop” vs. “production office”. :)

The Phaser Ones, on the midgrades, are simply epoxied on and non-removable.

Those look great! Is the phaser one integral, or can it be removed?

(BTW, the production office does things like payroll, I think you meant the prop shop)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be nit-picky, and I apologize if I came across that way. Besides, when Paramount was making TOS I was but a wee tyke, so who knows how they referred to their departments.

Those are nice pieces, and I like the aging detail on the 'used' one.

I have also found from a practical standpoint that the velcro on the side of the phaser one works well enough on a costume.

No offense taken at all; I appreciate the input :)

I'm not trying to be nit-picky, and I apologize if I came across that way. Besides, when Paramount was making TOS I was but a wee tyke, so who knows how they referred to their departments.

Those are nice pieces, and I like the aging detail on the 'used' one.

I have also found from a practical standpoint that the velcro on the side of the phaser one works well enough on a costume.

I love the way both of them look but I'm more of a fan of how things look right out of the box so I like the one just out of the shop better. I understand people who want to make it look like they do now but frankly I wouldn't want to have one that looks like the Jein Hero as it is now, I would much rather have it looking like it did after Wah did the refit during season 1.

I have to agree, in terms of which is integral to my collection. I do like the novelty of the weathered version though, seeing as Star Trek is a “pristine universe when it comes to hand equipment. Pristine weapons are not nearly as much fun to build :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, all.

This was a fun project.

We don’t see enough TOS props anymore, it seems. On a related topic, is there a reason why we don’t have a “Star Trek” forum here (Isn't it a major franchise?)? Just curious.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back