A Stylized MAG - A Scratch Build - Almost Complete

Re: My NIKE MAG Improvement project

Whilst on the subject of Sketch Up, here is the start of the clear sole project I did before I decided to just pour a slab (yet to still buy materials for this).

attachment.php

The idea was to draw this in 3D, have it converted to a DXF file or what ever my laser cutter needs and get him to laser cut the shape (x2) from 3mm perspex.

From there, stick that to something like laminated MDF with double sides tape, seal the edges with hot glue and pour away Left and Right are simply a case of flipping the shape over.

Some more Sketch Up. OK this is the start of the part that will become the heel cup.

attachment.php

And more attempts at this part. It is actually a very complex shape.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Inspired by Airair's clay sculpt, I decided to rework my plastic version.

attachment.php

The 3rd version is on the bottom left of the image. The original K-MAG copy is top and the 2nd (ugly build-up) is bottom right.
The latest version is made from 4 layers of 100mm PVC pipe that have been bonded using solvent cement, than cut and shaped using hand and power tools.

attachment.php

Side profile. Not sure if I should have added a 5th layer, or if I should grind the outer parts back to the 3rd layer.

attachment.php

Because I did this by eye, there may not be symmetrical. The idea is still to be able to make 1 master, mold that and cast from there.

fantastic, looks amazing! spot on!

Thanks :) Still a bit sanding to go I think and then the fun part - cutting the slots for the strap :rolleyes

I was wondering how to do the mold and keep the RTV out of the back when pouring the first half. Then realized all I need is a another piece of the pipe (stuck to the part with hot glue) which lays across the width of the mold.

Made a start on the extended collars using 3mm EV(?) foam and vinyl.

My Sketch Up file.
attachment.php

My first cutout attempt. I am still to do the radii.
attachment.php

The good news is, these parts seem to fit quite well.

I made a pair of tongues tonight, but will have to re-do these as I made them a bit too short.

Here is my revised version.

attachment.php

In the earlier version, the top part was 85mm and as it turned out, it sat just maybe 5mm above the current tongue, so too short for what I need. The sleeve idea seems to be working and when fitted, looked quite neat.

I also cut the foam at the line, and this allows the tongue to sit properly in the shoe but they are too short and I am out of EVA foam and need to purchase more to make another pair.

Last edited:

Ordered the cold cast clear elastomer today. Clear soles, here we come :)

Ordered the cold cast clear elastomer today. Clear soles, here we come :)

have you thought about a 'mass' production for some of these pieces. If so I'd be very interested. Especially with the clear soles if at all possible. I keep saying i'm going to do the EL strap on my K-Mags but I can't ever seem to find the time haha.

Progress looks great btw.

have you thought about a 'mass' production for some of these pieces. If so I'd be very interested. Especially with the clear soles if at all possible. I keep saying i'm going to do the EL strap on my K-Mags but I can't ever seem to find the time haha.

Progress looks great btw.

I am hoping to sell off the spare parts. These clear soles will cost me about $200 in materials to make regardless if I make one pair or six pairs. I need three for my own shoes and your welcome to the rest at my costs.

OK hopefully I have some good news for those wanting to change the colour of their MAGs. Found this product which is supposed to be flexible paint for vinyl! Will run a test soon to see what it does and how well it stands up to flexing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This stuff was purchased at a local store that sells all things for cars called Super Cheap Auto.

I'll use the Bondo to make a new version of my Ankle Buckle that will allow a 9V battery to be stored inside. So closer to the Sketch Up drawing I did a few posts back.

great find Cavx. I think that video link is going straight to your my videos folder on youtube, so its not working properly at the moment.

Also, i noticed that on the Kmags, that weird thumbprint pattern on main vinyl material, is actually painted on i think. I was cleaning some sculpey off, and noticed that the thumbprint was vanishing with some water. So i guess, whichever colour kmags you have, you can just rub hot water over it and get rid of all the thumbprints.

So it will be nice and even, and great especially when spraying over with that vinyl paint spray.

That thumbprint pattern is a bit weird! I wonder why they chose that?

great find Cavx. I think that video link is going straight to your my videos folder on youtube, so its not working properly at the moment.

OK so I need to go into setting and change something. Probably why I could not find my own videos when I did a search whilst not logged in :facepalm

Also, i noticed that on the Kmags, that weird thumbprint pattern on main vinyl material, is actually painted on i think. I was cleaning some sculpey off, and noticed that the thumbprint was vanishing with some water. So i guess, whichever colour kmags you have, you can just rub hot water over it and get rid of all the thumbprints.

I don't think so. Mine went swimming a few weeks/months back and that pattern is there as pronounced today as it was when they were brand new.

So it will be nice and even, and great especially when spraying over with that vinyl paint spray.

That thumbprint pattern is a bit weird! I wonder why they chose that?

I spent over an hour today masking up the size 8 pair and gave them a good spray. They drying right now so we will see how they look tomorrow. I won't disturb them just yet. I'll give the paint at least 6 to 8 hours.

This pair will be done leaving the white soles and heel cup strap and top of collar. I've painted over the black SWOOSH as I have another set in white ready to go. I might use turps to take the paint off the SWOOSH before I apply the new white SWOOSH.

I get my clear (with blue tint) cold cast elestomer on Friday, so looking forward to making clear soles.

Its been about 6 hours, so I have taken off the masking tape, cleaned up some bleeding and fitted the other parts including the new SWOOSH. This paint does not seem to be able to be removed with mineral turpentine and I found acetone was the only thing that worked.

WORD OF WARNING. If you get this paint on the trim on the tongue or upper collar DO NOT use acetone here. It just eats the stuff! I did get a small amount on the trim of the tongue and I will have to simply paint it white. I also need a small artists brush to touch up around the elastic straps. I simply taped over the straps to form a straight line. This is one thing that bugs me about these and the Poon shoes - the eleastic should not pass through a slot, rather be stitched to the edge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Whilst I think they look better, my wife does not share my point of view. These are actually her Size 8s and she says prefers them white. Looks like I will have to buy her a new set :rolleyes

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back