A short, stupid question about the shape of the Sterling magazine for an E11 build.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Timmythekid, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Sigh...really didn't want to have to come back here to ask another stupid question, but can't find an answer on Google, and images are not helping. Can anyone tell me if the magazine for the Sterling is rectangular in cross section, or is it trapezoidal like the mag-housing? The BBC plans suggest trapezoid, but the more recent, sadly now abandoned but purportedly more accurate plans on WhiteArmor seem to suggest a rectangular profile instead. I'm really hoping "rectangular", as I'm planning to cut a wooden support piece inside the magazine, and I really don't want to try and figure that out across the curved length of the thing.

2. jkno

jkno Master Member

Re: A short, stupid question about the shape of the Sterling magazine for an E11 buil

I don't have a photo of my Sterling magazine right now, but hopefully this shot of the MR magazine I recently sold will help since it is 99% similar to the real deal.

MR Stormtrooper blaster magazine 0.jpg

3. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Re: A short, stupid question about the shape of the Sterling magazine for an E11 buil

Awesome - looks rectangular to me! Thanks jkno, xactly what I was hoping for!!!!

4. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Shot this at Disney Orlando years ago. Can't vouch for the accuracy. Others will know.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Active Member

Depending on the level of accuracy you're after, mine measures approx 21mm at the front edge (top to bottom) and 22.5 at the back edge.

6. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SL is right, it's pretty much rectangular but a very slight trap shape, not as pronounced as the magazine well though.

The slide off cap on the end of the magazine is very much a trapezoid though taller at the back.

7. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Thanks guys - yeah, the end cap piece always obscures the true shape of the thing in almost every pic I've seen (apart from that nice one of the cut end jkno posted above - although that looks rectangular :wacko). Okay, I think I can work with a 1.5mm larger back end. Thanks again, guys!

8. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

cyli1.jpg
    Trapezoidal. The endcap is also trapezoidal, but yes the angles are slight.

9. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a ROTJ MGC.

10. hairball

hairball Active Member

here you go:

top: 28mm
    buttom: 26,5 mm

qWDLZBh.jpg

11. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

See, and this is why I ended up slinking back here to ask this stupid question; this place is awesome, and between the various denizens, nothing is unknown :)

(And, dday, this is what I'm occupying my time with until finances come together and I can order up a mess of parts from you :D)