A Season 3-4 CT Sonic Screwdriver is repainted by a newbie with a crackle finish

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by theobeau, Jan 31, 2012.

1. theobeau

theobeau Member

I meant to post this thread in Jan but the whole stolen RPF forum kept me away until now.

Being fairly new to the world of quality replica props I've found this forum full of useful information. As a huge DW fan, I was pleased to have a great initial interaction with a forum member who helped me get my hands on otherwise sold out CT Season 3-4 Sonic screwdriver. Unfortunately their customised paint job didn't survive the sonic's trip from Europe to Australia.

Digging deeper into the world of high quality sonic screwdrivers and with the help of forum members, the original manufacturer's very informative and at times scatological funny blog and US based friends willing to semi-legally ship crackle paints to Oz, I decided to take the plunge and repaint the sonic with a proper crackle coating. This despite the fact that the main skills and knowledge I have are in in medical statistics and the epidemiology of obesity and definitely not hobbycrafts nor painting.

The final results are presented here.

While being well aware of the main flaws of my efforts (the irregularity of some parts of the black highlighting and non canon colour scheme) I've certainly learnt quite a lot about replica sonic screwdrivers, painting techniques and paints. I hope it stacks up fairly well.

Hopefully some readers will enjoy the pics and furthermore I hope that my limited efforts inspire some of the newer forum members to have a go at re-working their replicas. You could surprise yourself at the quality of the end product and you'll definitely learn lots along the way.

Cheers!

PS: I should mention that the OM's recommendation about using the Perfecto range of crackle and the PU varnish as end coat was spot on: the extra-durable crackle and finish has survived numerous games of "Doctor vs the Monsters" :behave with my toddler son!

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm no expert on these sonics but it looks mighty nice to me! :cool

3. theobeau

theobeau Member

Hi Phase Pistol,

Thank you for the kind comments!

Cheers

4. phez

phez Sr Member

That came out looking good , is this the stuff you used

Perfetto's crackle products are all acrylic water based crackle mediums that are easily tinted and/or color washed.

5. theobeau

theobeau Member

Hi Phez,

Appreciate you comment about the finish.

You got the crackle; I used the Perfetto clear products and following the painting instructions as per CT's detailed blog entry on the issue. It was all spot on!

Cheers