A question to cosplayers/builders

Reelo

Sr Member
Having never played them myself, I've recently become interested in the Legend of Zelda series of games (just because I'm a fantasy/RPG fan and I also like the music of the games)
Since my son is about the right age and size for it, I was gonna make a Link costume for him (with my mother's help, since she's the one who can sew)

My question concerns Link's shield, though. At a local medieval fair I bought a child-sized wooden shield, but I need to modify the shape a bit. The upper corners of the shield are cut, but I'd want them restored back to normal.
My idea is to glue something over the shield, but I don't know what sheet material I should use which can conform to a 3D curved surface. Obviously a thin sheet of wood will be too rigid or too fragile, depending on thickness.

Do you guys have any ideas?

This:

3df32b0092323ca699faf9ceb3ade802.jpg

to this:

7979b4d0627cd22adaaf5d5ea0e95e59.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Links shield was the very first prop I made. My daughter is Zelda crazy(she's 19). The first shield I made I used foam. It's not the strongest but it has lasted several years. A cpl years ago I did make her a wood one for the ren faire. The wood shield is obviously a lot heavier than the foam one. By foam I'm referring to the insulation foam from the hardware. You could probably put a layer over your wood shield. Or start from scratch.

I would go scratch. What's the reason for wanting to use the shield you bought? It's not the right shape, so you'll have to cut out something to put over it anyway, which isn't far from just building it the right shape to begin with. It's not hard to make something to put your arm through, a couple of straps or a strap and a gate/screen door handle.

For a kid I might go with floor mat foam rather than wood anyway. I'd hang the one you bought on the wall because it looks neat. If you really want to use it then I'd put floor mat foam over it; a thin layer to get it the right shape and then the thick stuff for the details.

-Rog

My two cents; You could also glue EPS (styrofoam) sheets to the front of the shield and use a curry comb to get the base round shape you want, then you could cut and glue EVA foam to add the details on top. Just an idea :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back