A question about material

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gurby, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Gurby

Gurby New Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning to make a replica of the 10mm Pistol from Fallout New Vegas
    http://images.wikia.com/fallout/images/5/59/FNV_10mm_Overview_Page.png
    Since I'm new to making props,
    I was wondering which material would be best to use!
    Also, I'm looking for a material thats less 'flexible' than the foam used to make LARP weaponry, but still friendly to model:)

I hope you can help me out
    and thanks in advance!

2. Contec

Contec Master Member

I would use styrene plastic. It's the same plastic used for model-kits and "FOR SALE" signs (or beware of the dog)
    You should get a soft-airgun replica of an desert eagle because that is what the 10 mm is based on. Then you can add all the smaller bits and pieces with styrene.

3. Gurby

Gurby New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!
    And if I would like to build the model from scratch,
    would you still recommend styrene plastic?

Thanks again:)

4. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

That looks like a prime candidate for a layered build, so any sheet material will work well.

As for what medium to use it depends on what tools you have or what you're used to working with.

I tend to work in grey cardboard where possible, because its easy to cut shape and adjust, relatively quick, requires no real tools, but still allows a really nice finish.
    Or for larger projects I would use MDF.

Styrene plastic will work just as well, but like I said it comes down to preference.

5. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I'd consider the bulk outlines to be done with MDF, then build up the details with styrene strips and tubes.

6. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

ya know, lookin'at the pic fast it looks like a PS1 light gun, i have 2 which i used on my clone armour.....

best of luck on what u decide.

[​IMG]

7. Gurby

Gurby New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!
    First thing in the morning I'll try the possibilities:)
    And if someone has got anything to add,
    or a different material suggestion,
    you're more than welcome to post it!

Thanks again to all of you!

8. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you have a supplier nearby, I would try sintra, or as I think its also called, Foamed PVC. It is thicker than styrene if you want the body of the gun solid. Then do the details, as mentioned above, with styrene.

9. Gurby

Gurby New Member

So what you mean,
    is that Sintra can be carved quite easy,
    and so modeled in to shape,
    or am I understanding this completely wrong?
    Sorry for being such a noob:)
    Thanks for you rely!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. bweapon

bweapon New Member

Hey I'd agree with the desert eagle grip, maybe there is some pepakura files available for that that could be scaled however required to give you a running start.
    Then materials its white card and glue, resin over the top, sanded, then filled, smoothed, painted and boom.
    The pepakura technique is something that's gaining popularity all the time and members here on these forums are using it to take card as a base material and make amazing life-like props.
    of course depending on how creative you are the project could be done by eye if you have enough access to good reference material for the weapon. But Pepakura is definitely a good place to start searching to find in depth 'how to' instructional guides for this style of project.

11. bweapon

bweapon New Member

Hey I'd agree with the desert eagle grip, maybe there is some pepakura files available for that that could be scaled however required to give you a running start.
    Then materials its white card and glue, resin over the top, sanded, then filled, smoothed, painted and boom.
    The pepakura technique is something that's gaining popularity all the time and members here on these forums are using it to take card as a base material and make amazing life-like props.
    of course depending on how creative you are the project could be done by eye if you have enough access to good reference material for the weapon. But Pepakura is definitely a good place to start searching to find in depth 'how to' instructional guides for this style of project.
    :)