A Question About Lightsabers

Shade

Well guys, I've been looking into creating a set of Prop Saber Hilts based on Starkiller's TFU 2 Twin Set. Unfortunately, I didn't have a very good means until now. I recently aquired a set of blade hilts from my friends Kenny who unfortunately had to move and can't be of help to me on this project. In any case, here is a picture of one of the hilts (there are 2 and both are of the exact same specs)

0212121344.jpg

The hilt's are 12.5 inches long, and about 1 and 1/8th inches in diameter.
Now, from the look of the refernce photos I've seen from the game, the length isn't a problem. The problem lies in the diameter. The measly 1 and 1/8th inch diameter isn't sufficient to craft an accurate saber.

My question to those who are lightsaber savy is:
How thick in diameter is the average lightsaber? And, based on the images below, how thick in diameter would you say Starkiller's saber's are?

StarkillerLightsaberConceptArt.jpg

sabers2_360jpg.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

For what it's worth, a Graflex flash handle has a diameter of 1.5" across, not including grips or anything added on to make it a saber. I would guess that many people use that as a starting point when building a saber.

The handle area of most saber props is around 1.5" in diameter. In the pics you provided, the handle appears to be anywhere from 1.375" to 1.5" in diameter, depending on the size of your hand.

Thanks guys. On another note, the hilts may be slightly too long. The end of the hilt is going to stick up from the shroud unless I can shorten them. Either that or I'll just adjust the length of the hilts by about an inch, but I fear they might look a bit awkward if they're too long. I don't think it'll mater to much. I can't really do much unless I can remove the top piece of metal on the hilts.

Yes, I would agree that generally an outer diameter of 1.5" would give you a comfortable grip. The main hilt bodies on TCSS are 1.45". Your main issue would be the inner diameter which would dictate how much electronics you can cram in there.

Yes, I would agree that generally an outer diameter of 1.5" would give you a comfortable grip. The main hilt bodies on TCSS are 1.45". Your main issue would be the inner diameter which would dictate how much electronics you can cram in there.
Well fortunately I wasn't planning on cramming electronics in it. It was jus going to be a set of prop hilts. However, if I can find something a bit wider in diameter, then yes, I could throw in a sound board, speaker, and LED Blade. But in it's current state, it would be impossible unless I could remove the ends of the hilts (the handle itself is hollow) and find components that would fit in about an inch of space. Hence the reason they were only going to be prop hilts.

Hi Shade, Serenity,ARKM & Jerome
Here is some Saber Metric/Imperial Tube Sizes i put together a month ago
might help ya

Graflex Tubing Sizes
*OD 38mm ID 35.50mm Wall 1.35mm "1.4961' = 38.00mm"

TCSS Tubing Sizes
*OD 36.90mm ID 31.85mm Wall 2.5mm "1.4567' = 37.00mm"

TCSS Outer Sleeve Size
*OD40mm ID 37mm Wall 1.5mm "1.5748' = 40.00mm"

Sink Tubing Sizes 1"1/4 & 1"1/2
+OD 32mm ID 30.80mm Wall 0.6mm "1.2598' = 32.00mm"

*OD 38.10mm ID 36.90mm Wall 0.6mm "1.4961' = 38.00mm"

Graflex & TCSS i feel are the best Hilt Width Sizes for Sabers

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back