A Progress Thread

Oh. :confused Well I figured I'd shoot for the middle and trust to human error to give some variation... :p

Yes, there are limits to my drive here... ;)
Originally posted by Serafino@May 18 2005, 11:28 PM

Please note:  these are not for sale or available, this is not a teaser thread.

[snapback]990131[/snapback]​

Yeah, me too KD. Can't wait to see comp pics.
Glad to hear you're feeling revitalized Andres - your work shown here certainly proves that.

Howard. :)

A post to own up to the fact I haven't got any further along. But I'll have better news in a few days.

1 down, a last one to go on the filing. I'll report again on the sanding as that progresses.

I had to do the rounding of the edges on the last gear, somehow that got skipped, I've done the rounding on one end, I just need to finish the other end and sand them all and I'm done.

I will report more progress by Sunday night.

They look sweet when sanded out but it takes a lot of time. I'm going to be playing around with various abrasives on a Foredom to speed things up, maybe for this phase something will work.

2 are basically ready to go to the shop, 9 to go.

Test run with various small buffing wheels tonight. I'm going to try shaping a soft wheel on some coarse sandpaper to make getting in the grooves easier so that I can buff these things out to a nice even satin sheen (except the weathered ones of course...) without losing definition.

Okeedokee, I spoke with the guy at the shop today about compatibility of the buffing method with anodizing. I was worried because of some things I'd read on the web, but he said it's not an issue. So we're on track with the shop, the buffing method is working fine, still not as fast as I'd like but better.

I'm going to try to have them wrapped up this week so I can take them to the shop next week, I have to antique 2 of them but one of those won't take too long, based on the instructions I got I just need to drop it out of a moving car. I think about 20 mph should do it...

(just kidding... ;) )

Well I am still at it. I've just a few more to go with the buffing of the ends, then I'll even the finish a bit overall, check them over for flaws, do the antiquing, and so on.

Update?
icon_biggrin.gif

Begging everyone's pardon, I've had another project come up which is going to eat up about two weeks. It's a rare opportunity to make a violin bow for one of the better shops in the country, so I hope you'll all extend your patience a bit more.

I'm in NY over the weekend but I'll update later next week.

Originally posted by Serafino@Aug 18 2005, 06:53 PM
Begging everyone's pardon, I've had another project come up which is going to eat up about two weeks.  It's a rare opportunity to make a violin bow for one of the better shops in the country, so I hope you'll all extend your patience a bit more.

I'm in NY over the weekend but I'll update later next week.
[snapback]1060864[/snapback]​

No problem. Sounds like a cool project. Is that something you do regularly? Post pictures if you can.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back