A Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Serafino, May 19, 2005.

1. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

So I've been procrastinating on finishing a project. I figured the best way to get a fire under my, uh, posterior is to place my progress right out in public for everyone to see. :)

Please note: these are not for sale or available, this is not a teaser thread.

I am tweaking and perfecting 11 aluminum gears (REs, the best to date.), they've all been shortened and reshaped on the lathe and now I'm doing the handwork. I had hoped to do these using a Foredom tool but the control wasn't good enough, so I'm roughing out the rounding of the ends with a file. The one on the left has had the hand-filing done, the one on the right is half filed.

Out of 11 I have 5.5 more to file, then they all get sanded and sent off to be anodized grey. My goal is to finish the file work on one a day. I'll be posting updates every two days. I can't wait to see them when they're done (and just to BE done). :)

[image]http://img272.echo.cx/img272/4623/gears5184mb.jpg[/image]

2. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

Looking good. I know this project is probably taking more time than you thought, but I'm sure everyone is grateful you're the one doing this since you have such an eye for detail on this saber. This will be the ultimate gear.

Can't wait to add it to my saber. :)

3. laszlo

laszlo Sr Member

nice one andres.

look forward to it. :)

4. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

:confused

That's a beautiful sight.

Well done.

KD

5. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

*whistling*

Just tending the fire. ;)

6. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Thank you. :$

I'm now working on #7, so that would be, uh, one down.

I'm thinking of posting a sort of 'filing tutorial' from pics I take as I go along in case someone out there could use some help with doing similar work.

More later tonight.

7. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Nice. They look great so far.

8. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dang. Those look sweet.

Get to work. :D

9. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Ok, 7 filed, 4 to go.

[image]http://img8.echo.cx/img8/5224/7filed9bt.jpg[/image]

10. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

They look so lonely.

The tutorial comes later, right? I have a gear in desperate need of reworking:

[​IMG]

KD

11. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

What in Hades is THAT? :lol It looks like Parks' shape but machined instead of extruded. (btw I laugh only because leave it to YOU to show me a 'gear' I've never seen before...)

[image]http://img275.echo.cx/img275/821/gearside0mf.jpg[/image]

First you mount the gear on a lathe and file the profile to match this pic. I did it by isolating the black line from the picture and printing it a bit over life size so I could lay it behind the gear and use it as a ‘visual template’ while I did the filing of the profile.

You could probably rig it up on a drill press to do the same work. With those thin teeth IÂ’d be very careful not to press too hard though.

The rest is filing one side so the roundness of the 'edge' continues around the corner (clamp side), and softening the edges of the cut on the pommel side.

IÂ’ll try to get pictures of how I approach the filing process over the new couple days.

12. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Wow, thanks for this. I may have to negotiate access to the uni shop to effect any of it, though-- My own workshop is only equipped with handtools. :( I look forward to a picture walkthrough.

I bought my "gear" here some years ago (the first time I was a member)-- I don't recall from whom, tho'. It came in this unfinished stepped state seen on the right side in this photo:

[​IMG]

I filed half of it by hand, basing it on the Parks gear (well spotted.). I think what I'll end up having to do now is some epoxy backfill work on the filed side... :unsure

They sure are pretty.

KD

13. Yorpheus

Alrighty. How we doin'?

14. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

1 more down, 3 left. I'll do another tonight, and do the filing tutorial pics then also.

6-1-05 Update: 1 more down, 2 left to file. Pics:

[image]http://img76.echo.cx/img76/6998/9and22yv.jpg[/image]

15. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

...and here's the how-to. I know this will be obvious to many of you, but maybe it will help someone out. This is how I do the rounded end which goes under the clamp. The other end is a little different but the principles are the same.

[image]http://img76.echo.cx/img76/4134/gearfiling5fx.jpg[/image]

16. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Well done. :cheers

Are you going to individualize the pommel-end edges? Or is that the far reaches of your obsession? :)

Nice job... so nice.

KD

17. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Thanks very much KD. I am indeed differentiating the pommel end. You can see the differences here, taken from the topmost pic in the thread.

. . . . . .[image]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/3829/geardetail4nz.jpg[/image]

18. Howard

Howard Sr Member

That's superb Andres. Many thanks for the tutorial - that will come in handy when I start work on my gear (hopefully sometime this year, if time and tide permit).

I'm looking forward - as I'm sure you are. - to laying to rest the emitter research for this saber. Will this be your next project once the gears are complete?

All the best,

Howard. :)

19. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Howard, in all honesty, I'm not sure. Once the smoke clears from this project it will be much easier to say. I would certainly love to own a perfected emitter, and I find I'm feeling a tad less burnt out than I was. :)

20. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

Oh, I figured you'd make them different from the clamp end-- I was actually wondering if you were going to make each one different from the rest, as on the original... or is that just too crazy? :lol

Again, great job.

KD

21. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Oh. :confused Well I figured I'd shoot for the middle and trust to human error to give some variation... :p

Yes, there are limits to my drive here... ;)

22. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

I don't think I can have read this right... :lol

I wanna see one of these in place now...

KD

23. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Yeah, me too KD. Can't wait to see comp pics.
    Glad to hear you're feeling revitalized Andres - your work shown here certainly proves that.

Howard. :)

24. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

A post to own up to the fact I haven't got any further along. But I'll have better news in a few days.

25. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

1 down, a last one to go on the filing. I'll report again on the sanding as that progresses.

26. Yorpheus

It's been a couple weeks. How goes it?

27. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

I had to do the rounding of the edges on the last gear, somehow that got skipped, I've done the rounding on one end, I just need to finish the other end and sand them all and I'm done.

I will report more progress by Sunday night.

28. gpghosts

gpghosts Well-Known Member

very cool i might order one from u but money is verl low

29. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

30. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Filing is done.

I'm starting in on the sanding, will post in a few days once I have a sense how fast it will go.

31. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

They look sweet when sanded out but it takes a lot of time. I'm going to be playing around with various abrasives on a Foredom to speed things up, maybe for this phase something will work.

2 are basically ready to go to the shop, 9 to go.

32. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Test run with various small buffing wheels tonight. I'm going to try shaping a soft wheel on some coarse sandpaper to make getting in the grooves easier so that I can buff these things out to a nice even satin sheen (except the weathered ones of course...) without losing definition.

33. Yorpheus

How'd the buffing turn out?

34. Yorpheus

35. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Okeedokee, I spoke with the guy at the shop today about compatibility of the buffing method with anodizing. I was worried because of some things I'd read on the web, but he said it's not an issue. So we're on track with the shop, the buffing method is working fine, still not as fast as I'd like but better.

I'm going to try to have them wrapped up this week so I can take them to the shop next week, I have to antique 2 of them but one of those won't take too long, based on the instructions I got I just need to drop it out of a moving car. I think about 20 mph should do it...

(just kidding... ;) )

36. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Well I am still at it. I've just a few more to go with the buffing of the ends, then I'll even the finish a bit overall, check them over for flaws, do the antiquing, and so on.

37. Yorpheus

Update? [​IMG]

38. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Begging everyone's pardon, I've had another project come up which is going to eat up about two weeks. It's a rare opportunity to make a violin bow for one of the better shops in the country, so I hope you'll all extend your patience a bit more.

I'm in NY over the weekend but I'll update later next week.

39. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

No problem. Sounds like a cool project. Is that something you do regularly? Post pictures if you can.

40. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

3 day weekend coming, do-or-die time. :)

41. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

I just sent an email to some who are following my work especially closely. ;) It's about a slight delay due to resolving a scaling issue. All is well now and I am putting my nose to the grindstone...

If you should receive the email, but don't get one, PM me please.

42. Yorpheus

Yes, close enough for friendly kicks in the butt. :angel

43. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Been a bit caught up in the pommel thing. Progress report with pics by the end of this weekend, thanks all for your unbelievable saintly patience.

44. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, that's some great work, and such detailed tutorials are always appreciated.

FWIW, your thread might benefit from making the title more descriptive of the topic. ;)

45. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Thanks. Yeah I guess the title is too clever by half. ;)

46. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As am I, as I just got the pun. ;)

47. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Got some buffing in over the weekend, I think just 1 more to go, then weather 1, go over them one last time to make sure nothing's missed and off to the shop...

48. Yorpheus

How's it goin'? :love

49. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

As soon as I get my breath back from buying a correct Derwent interconnector I'll get back to work. I'm feeling a little flushed right now... :love

I donÂ’t get to finish my saber either until these are all done, and with the emitter found and a real handwheel in hand I reallllly want to finish my saber. :D

More soon.

50. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

:rolleyes

Emails sent to everyone. If you don't get one PM me your email address please.