A new Time Bandits Map

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

breakfstmachine

(2cents) Regarding the material, I did testing pre-pandemic on a couple different canvases that weren't what we think of as "inkjet" canvas, which are often incredibly heavy. I was leaning towards a 9oz canvas (heavy is usually around 14/15 oz, can be up to 30 oz.) because the lighter canvas allows for better weathering across the board. It does not take physical creases as well, but those can be scenically replicated.

Additionally, the mid-weight canvas has a lighter woven texture, feeling closer to a primed and prepped canvas, which is what this would have been prior to airbrushing and silkscreening. (/2cents)

merlinb

Hmm, I'm guessing those 'Murican numbers are per square yard? In which case it looks like I'm using the metric equivalent of 9oz too (280gsm). I haven't even seen anybody offering heavier weights than that.

Missesp86

I just thought I would share my sons finished Randall costume on here as I would like to say a big thankyou to merlinb for the donation of his prototype map! Honestly it's just the best! My son is going to be made up! He knows he's getting the costume as I've been making it every evening for past 3 weeks! So he's been asking me for daily updates. Onky bits he's seen were the bandoliers as I needed to make sure they fitted him
However he has absolutely no idea about the map so it will be a wonderful surprise!

I have really really enjoyed trying my had at replicating such a detailed costume! I've made all the boar war style bandoliers myself from faux leather, (they quite convienntly hold nerf bullets now!) sourced a similar looking jacket and adapted it to look more like the one Randall wears. And got all the little bits and pieces together from trawling ebay.

My soon to be 7 year old is going to absolutely over the moon with it I just know it!

I am so glad I stumbled upon this site!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210327-182812_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-182812_Gallery.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20210327-183009_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-183009_Video Player.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210327-182915_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-182915_Gallery.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210327-182929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-182929_Gallery.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210327-181912_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-181912_Video Player.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

Missesp86

Astonishing work! I get the feeling you've done this sort of thing before... where did you get those aviator goggles?!
Thank you so much!

Honestly no I've not done anything like this before really... At least not for a very long time. I made some teenage mutant ninja turtle costumes (including huge paper mache shells ) for my boyfriend and his mate when I was 16 but not done much at all since! I suspect my son is going to ask me to make other niche character costumes for the foreseeable future!

I found the goggles on amazon, I scuffed them up a bit so they didn't look as shiny. The flying helmet came in a biggles flying set but the goggles weren't the right type so I found these.
Most of what I got was either ebay, or amazon. And a couple of things I got given. I wish the charity shops would have been open I may have had to spend a lot less. Oh well it'll be worth it!

merlinb

I thought it might be amusing to see where this project started. This was my first attempt (in 2015 I guess). I tried to do the whole thing with vector graphics and filters! As you can see, it didn't look great and yet my computer already slows to a crawl to handle it. Not recommended!:lol:

Attachments

• ref.png
    ref.png
    925.8 KB · Views: 26

Missesp86

That may be the most epic prop ever to appear on this forum! And certainly the only Randall costume produced sice 1981!
I feel like I need to take a bow
Also genuinely hooked on costume making now! Think I may have found my people here! Haha!
His next request is a Landstrider from the a dark Crystal! Watch this space

Uridium

Always makes me happy when the next generation of kids have love for old stuff like TimeBandits, so much that they want to dress up like that.
Thanks for sharing, your son looks amazing as Randall.

Missesp86

Always makes me happy when the next generation of kids have love for old stuff like TimeBandits, so much that they want to dress up like that.
Thanks for sharing, your son looks amazing as Randall.
Thank you so much! Yes he is such more into retro stuff! I think he really nailed it. We when went out to a big park and someone asked for a photo of him as they recognised who he was dressed as! Think that made his day.

jheilman

Sr Member
That costume makes me smile big! Also like seeing the first attempt at the map. Somewhere I have Adam Savage's first Time Bandits map from the 80's. Also Kapow's version 1. I view them as I do fan created phasers through the years. They did the best they could with minimal reference material. As references improved, so did the replicas.

Missesp86

If anyone is on twitter I have just shared a thread about the costume and mentioned this forum, and tweeted it to Terry Gilliam my user handle is the same on there as this one. Would be awesome if we could get it seen by rpf enthusiasts and the cosplay community. I think my son would be over the moon!

That costume makes me smile big! Also like seeing the first attempt at the map. Somewhere I have Adam Savage's first Time Bandits map from the 80's. Also Kapow's version 1. I view them as I do fan created phasers through the years. They did the best they could with minimal reference material. As references improved, so did the replicas.
Glad to have raised a smile!

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If anyone is on twitter I have just shared a thread about the costume and mentioned this forum, and tweeted it to Terry Gilliam my user handle is the same on there as this one. Would be awesome if we could get it seen by rpf enthusiasts and the cosplay community. I think my son would be over the moon!
Terry was given a map by one of our members here a while ago iirc

NCHammer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, I dived into this thread head first and it's fantastic!

Amazing map merlinb, takes me back to the first time I say Tome Bandits as a kid!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.