A new Time Bandits Map

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

R5D4

Hmm, maybe you're right. But that still doesn't help me see that tiny writing! ;)

All contributions to the thread are welcome!
I understand. I suppose the only thing we can do is leave it off or copy it as it is even though it is illegible.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

jheilman

Sr Member
I'm late to the game as usual...:) Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. I saw mention of a high res original file of the DVD map insert? I'd REALLY love to see that if someone could PM it to me? And am ashamed to admit, I never realized the clocks should be blue vs. black. That's an easy fix I can make on mine. I don't think I have the energy to completely revise mine with better reference material. But, I have always been open to making tweaks over the years. Perhaps even more variance in the background on mine would be a good thing?

Yes, many of the small numbers on top of the map were not visible in the reference, so did the best I could. Same for the small numbers in the clock panels. Most would just be guesswork. I have more references collected and thought about revising a couple of the clocks as well. Hard to find the time. But, it's exciting to see that this iconic prop still inspires makers like it did for me 14 years ago.

R5D4

Hi again. Not sure if you are still re-working the details but I wanted to point out these dark dots in between the script on each side I this picture of the map.I circled them. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4CA25A63-8BAC-496D-BC61-68AAED9AA74D.jpeg
    4CA25A63-8BAC-496D-BC61-68AAED9AA74D.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 36

merlinb

It's heeeere! I think I have finally got a print that I would be happy to sell. I can go on tweaking it, but at this stage it's basically pixel-level pedantry, and as my grandfather says, perfect is the enemy of the good. So I'm calling it finished, unless anyone spots any grotesque problems?
I've now started experimenting with physical weathering. It's so hard to get a decent photograph, especially in this winter light.
I'm late to the game as usual...:)
I was hoping you'd drop in, I doubt I would have tackled this without your amazing map to inspire me!

I wanted to point out these dark dots in between the script on each side I this picture of the map.I circled them. Thanks!
The dots are on my map but they are very small because of the font. I will make them larger.

Attachments

• zCIMG3420.JPG
    zCIMG3420.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 136
  • zCIMG3421.JPG
    zCIMG3421.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 235
  • zCIMG3416.JPG
    zCIMG3416.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210302_163724278.jpg
    IMG_20210302_163724278.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 128
  • CIMG3417.JPG
    CIMG3417.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

R5D4

It looks incredible!! Thanks that your going to make the the black dots larger in my previous post. One thing I’ll point out just to see what you think. Should this circle on your map be closer to the border? Second, that same circle is a bit thinned out on the bottom where it look the same thickness all the way around in the original map in the movie still If you look at the original map and compare it to yours. Also a few little white dots above the white circle. See what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• 933E966A-3BAB-418F-8584-20704B994BDA.jpeg
    933E966A-3BAB-418F-8584-20704B994BDA.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

R5D4

Omg I just saw a white line that definitely should be added in the same picture. I circled it. It is right below the large white circle i talked about in the previous post.

Attachments

• 5E391EB3-CAF0-4B83-AFF2-8BD0FC81CF1F.jpeg
    5E391EB3-CAF0-4B83-AFF2-8BD0FC81CF1F.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 26

Missesp86

It's heeeere! I think I have finally got a print that I would be happy to sell. I can go on tweaking it, but at this stage it's basically pixel-level pedantry, and as my granfather says, perfect is the enemy of the good. So I'm calling it finished, unless anyone spots any grotesque problems?
I've now started experimenting with physical weathering. It's so hard to get a decent photograph, especially in this winter light.

I was hoping you'd drop in, I doubt I would have tackled this without your amazing map to inspire me!

The dots are on my map but they are very small because of the font. I will make them larger.

Missesp86

Oh my goodness. I've just fallen into this rabbit hole head first!
I have an almost 7 year old son who has asked for a Randall costume for his birthday at the end of the month.

So I'm busy gathering peices to make the costume (currently working on the bandoliers!) and was just looking at how to get a decent replica of the map (as we only have an unreadable screen grab printed on paper at the moment)

So to find this place is somewhat exciting!

Your map is amazing!! Are you going to be selling these at all? I don't think I'd even need one that's full size to be honest just something that my son can see is more true to the one in the film would be priceless!

Look forward to hearing more about your awesome map!

*apologies for the multiple reply in the thread. Im somewhat a n00b to forums!

Last edited:

merlinb

Your map is amazing!! Are you going to be selling these at all? I don't think I'd even need one that's full size to be honest just something that my son can see is more true to the one in the film would be priceless!
Hi! Wow I didn't think any kids these days were interested in antique films like Time Bandits!
You can have my first prototype map if you like, it's A1 size which would probably be perfect for your son. I have been practicing weathering on it so it is thoroughly aged now.,. I'm guessing you're not in the same country as me (UK) but if you don't mind paying the shipping you can have it for nothing. Just a thought!

Missesp86

Hi! Wow I didn't think any kids these days were interested in antique films like Time Bandits!
You can have my first prototype map if you like, it's A1 size which would probably be perfect for your son. I have been practicing weathering on it so it is thoroughly aged now.,. I'm guessing you're not in the same country as me (UK) but if you don't mind paying the shipping you can have it for nothing. Just a thought!
Omg are you serious!? Wow that would be amazing! And no we are actually in the UK believe it or not :) our son has always been into the unusual ever since he was little. It started with the labyrinth and dark crystal, which culminated in us meeting Brian and Wendy fraud when he was just 5! Then it went onto finding monty python Holy grail (he has a beast of argh pride of place amongst his playmobil castle and knights haha!) he also fell in love with the original power rangers show a whole back and we were desperate for a green ranger toy a couple of years back, ended up being contacted by a very kind fan of the original, who sent us his old transforming droids! Blew me away. I think it makes people smile to see a kid living old school stuff though, he's certainly not the usual almost 7 year old that's for sure! I think the most mainstream his tastes get is star wars but even that he prefers the oldest films and favours boba fett over all other characters. But his latest love has been the time bandits, I think I've watched it with him approximately 100 times

How would I go about swapping contact details to arrange this? You have absolutely made my week with this! I love the wonderful geekery on the Internet for moments like this!

jheilman

Sr Member
Been going though the research I've saved over the last decade on the map and making tweaks to my file. I'm just amazed that so many years have passed since I began this. My interest was first piqued in 2001 by the Kapow project. Then, 6 years later I was worried my wife would be annoyed at me for spending money on the new Time Bandits DVD (already had it on laserdisc) just to get the paper insert of the map. So, I didn't tell her. ;) Scanned that in sections and pieced it together in Photoshop, scaled it and began building my file exactly 14 years ago. I had received the box set DVD of Space: Above and Beyond from my parents for Christmas and remember watching all of those in the background while I was building. Kristen Cloke, Yowza! So many connections made after the map was completed, not the least of which was Adam Savage.

My file has had numerous tweaks over the first few years, but family took center stage and I just collected new reference material hoping to get to it some day. Well, today's the day. I've reworked my clock panels. I'm still debating adding the hand-written numbers. They are certainly present, but references are so limited that most would be made up. But still...

I edited my background to add more variance, changed all my clocks to the blue background color and changed the bottom clock to a vintage pocket watch. I am not reworking the main details of the map because I just don't have the energy for such a project. I feel I've done it already. Was thinking about this a lot lately. I always knew that someone would make a better map some day. And that's fine.

In 1998 I purchased a 3D app and, to learn it, I gave myself a complex project. I decided to build the TOS Enterprise. It took me many months of late nights, but I made new connections and received assistance from many sources. My finished product was great for the time.
6-10A.jpg
But, years later, as more reference material came to light, it became very outdated. I never revisited the Enterprise. The software was purchased by another company, then they went out of business...typical for 3D.

I knew the same would happen with Time Bandits. But, I'm not there just yet. I will make one level of tweaks. But, others will always strive for more accuracy. Someone just needs to get Gilliam to release the map, with clock panels, to a scanner so we can see all the info once and for all.

Anyway, the main point of this is to celebrate how much these physical objects mean to all of us. That's why I joined the RPF 20 years ago.

merlinb

I just saw a white line that definitely should be added in the same picture. I circled it. It is right below the large white circle i talked about in the previous post.
Dunno how I missed that! I will add it and move the Fludd symbol.

Well, today's the day. I've reworked my clock panels. I'm still debating adding the hand-written numbers.
I edited my background to add more variance, changed all my clocks to the blue background color and changed the bottom clock to a vintage pocket watch. I am not reworking the main details of the map because I just don't have the energy for such a project.
I feel a bit proud but also guilty for provoking you into editing your map, it was nearly perfect already! I'm kind of impressed you still have workable files after 14 years. And I hope you're not suggesting my map is 'better' than yours. We're aiming for different things; your map is screen accurate, which I guess is what most people want, whereas I prefer to make my props narrative accurate, because I'm difficult like that.

Last edited:

jheilman

Sr Member
I built mine totally in Photoshop, so no problem reading that. I think your is certainly more accurate to the Fludd source material.

R5D4

For me I would definitely pay the extra cost for getting the back of the map the same aged coloration to match the aged color on the borders on the front of the map. If you’d be willing to do that when we get to that point.

Patattack

Sr Member
It looks beautiful, excellent work!

I do have a thought that I'd like to express...which I'll preface by saying that I have the utmost respect for merlinb, jheilman, breakfastmachine, and everyone else who's put in the enormous amount of work to make their own version of this map.

I love that each new iteration of the map includes increasingly fine detail, as the community continues to identify the original source material for the various graphic elements. However, as David3 said earlier in the thread, I feel like most of them are lacking a sense of depth in the blue background. In my opinion, the darker, more uniform backgrounds make the designs feel somewhat...digital. More "printed" than "painted". The joatrash/Magnoli map's background has a more analog, hand-painted vibe, which lends it a nebula-like aesthetic that I think works well for an ancient, mystical artifact. Now, it's entirely possible the original maps were designed with a flat blue background, and the color variance that I see in screenshots is purely due to the weathering. But even if the joatrash map's color skews a bit "neon" and the details aren't quite as accurate as later versions, I think that the dramatic variation throughout the background really adds to the overall impact of the art.

I don't mean this as a critique for anyone in particular--truly no offense intended--just an observation based on my personal tastes. I'd love to see someone tackle a version that combines a more impressionistic/painterly background with up-to-date accurate graphics. (If I had graphic design chops, I'd take a crack at it myself!) Seeing jheilman 's recent comment about adding variance his background...I'm very curious to see a comparison between the previous version and the revised version!

jheilman

Sr Member
In studying the source files I have, I've come to believe that most of what people have called clouds are in fact the weathering applied to the map as well as wear and tear during filming. My original background had subtle variations throughout and I've worked to increase that slightly, but it will not be a dramatic difference.

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
kapow is a name I have not heard around these parts in a long, long, time!

I hope him and his family as well as Mrs. kapow are doing well......

merlinb

I feel like most of them are lacking a sense of depth in the blue background. Now, it's entirely possible the original maps were designed with a flat blue background,
I guess you mean an effect more like this [attached]? Certainly I do not think that is anything like the original prop, but there's nothing to stop me printing a one off.

It seems to me that nearly the whole map was silkscreened in one shot with mostly one shade of blue, maybe with some other darker blues squeegeed into the mix to give some (but not much) background variance. Then the symbols and a few minor details were coloured in by hand. In fact, the screen shots to me look pretty flat, like an engineer's blueprint, and I've actually been working to reduce the depth of my background to match!
I suspect the DVD insert has been digitally enhanced a bit, perhaps because the weathered original looked kinda drab at such a small scale. Then people scan it and enhance it even more and post it online. I mean, look at the difference between these two scans of the same insert and compare with the screenshot! And you have the different effects that various projectors, monitors and TVs have on images, compared with whatever process the film colourist used for the movie, which may have been altered between the original release, the DVD release, the BluRay, and...and...

So which blue is the 'true' blue!

Attachments

• A3.png
    A3.png
    4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG-20210307-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210307-WA0004.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG-20210307-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210307-WA0004.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: