A new Time Bandits Map

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

neosporing

Sr Member
I have a joatrash map, which I love to death. following this thread quietly as I imagine others are as well.

"it cost more to frame the map than we paid you to make it."

yeeouch, this killed me.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

merlinb

What about the John Heilman replica map? Was that one better than these? Which has been the most accurate so far?
I think it's fair to say the Heilman is the most accurate. In fact the only real criticism I could make is that the clocks are black instead of blue. I think the Joatrash map was done earlier, so understandably had less material to work from, although the neon blue background seems like an odd choice to me. There are things I like and dislike about both, but take a look at these images and judge for yourself:
Joatrash
Heilman

Last edited:

R5D4

I think it's fair to say the Joatrash is the most accurate. In fact the only real criticism is that the clocks are black when they should be blue. I think the Heilman map was done earlier, so understandably had less material to work from, although the neon blue background seems like an odd choice to me. There are things I like and dislike about both, but take a look at these images and judge for yourself:
Heilman
Joatrash
Thank you. Did you get my earlier posts?

merlinb

Third test print is here! Full A0 size. It is enormous.

However, this print is already obsolete because I ordered it before I got DigitalMayhem's high res scan of the DVD insert. I have therefore spent the weekend completely redrawing all the blue and white squiggly lines. This makes the fourth time I have had to draw them, and I hope I don't have to do it ever again! However, at least it means I have been able to pull out all sorts of micro details that I couldn't see before, even more than on the Heilman map. My new squiggles are hitting pixel-level accuracy in some areas.

The background is but not best. I think I can afford to brighten it up even more. I will also make the off-white aged white border a bit more off white (i.e. darker and older).

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_095518272.jpg
    IMG_20210301_095518272.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210301_095543485.jpg
    IMG_20210301_095543485.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

R5D4

R5D4

Here is a close up of those spots.

Attachments

• 399664BB-EFC3-4123-BFFE-40B19FB8D170.jpeg
    399664BB-EFC3-4123-BFFE-40B19FB8D170.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 31

Ham Salad

Wow I would definitely LOVE to see that!

I believe the white misting is not part of the print, it is weathering where the canvas has been rubbed with sandpaper or whatever to reveal the white beneath. The DVD map never actually appears on screen, and it looks to me like the contrast has been digitally enhanced compared with the hero map which is not so 'neon blue'.
I was rather hoping you would offer these: Ihaven't got one, always a favorite movie.

R5D4

I’m not sure if you added these smaller numbers to the top border of the map but I found this picture on the web. Hope you can use this reference.

Attachments

• 84EF2FB7-739B-4C1C-AF66-B08BFFF7AF66.jpeg
    84EF2FB7-739B-4C1C-AF66-B08BFFF7AF66.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 32

David3

Sr Member
I’m not sure if you added these smaller numbers to the top border of the map but I found this picture on the web. Hope you can use this reference.
That's a good example of the subtle variation in the background blue across the map, with lighter blue hues around some features like the reef-like areas, as you can see in the top left of that image

R5D4

That's a good example of the subtle variation in the background blue across the map, with lighter blue hues around some features like the reef-like areas, as you can see in the top left of that image
Do you have the Heilman map? I was wondering if we could get a full picture of the top white border with all of the numbers across it.

David3

Sr Member
Yes.
Hope that's OK with you Merlinb, don't want to sidetrack from the great job you're doing here with yours.
(Let me know if you'd prefer I delete these to avoid confusion with your own map)

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Heilman version though. I'm sure i remember reading that he could find no clear refs for the numbers so just approximated what looked right.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

R5D4

Yes.
Hope that's OK with you Merlinb, don't want to sidetrack from the great job you're doing here with yours.
(Let me know if you'd prefer I delete these to avoid confusion with your own map)

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Heilman version though. I'm sure i remember reading that he could find no clear refs for the numbers so just approximated what looked right.
View attachment 1432024 View attachment 1432025 View attachment 1432026 View attachment 1432027
Thanks David! Yeah they are little numbers after the large numbers. I have go look at the map insert to the 2004 Time Bandits dvd. That is the best picture of the border on the original map.

merlinb

Yes, did you see the photos of my latest test print in post #45? And the high res references in post #42? The little numbers are totally unintelligible on the DVD map, they could be anything, numbers, letters, scribble, latin incantations, who knows. They look handwritten to me so I was going to leave them out so people could write on the map themselves if they wished. Remember, the DVD map never appeared in the film, so it might not have the same writing on it. What do you think it says?

Attachments

• Et2sqi3XYAU2iQd.jpg
    Et2sqi3XYAU2iQd.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

R5D4

Yes, did you see the photos of my latest test print in post #45? And the high res references in post #42? The little numbers are totally unintelligible on the DVD map, they could be anything, numbers, letters, scribble, latin incantations, who knows. They look handwritten to me so I was going to leave them out so people could write on the map themselves if they wished. Remember, the DVD map never appeared in the film, so we don't know if the hero map actually had the same writing on it. What do you think it says?
I always thought that the dvd map is the filming map. The weathering and the folds are exactly the same.

Last edited:

merlinb

Hmm, maybe you're right. But that still doesn't help me see that tiny writing! ;)

Yes.
All contributions to the thread are welcome!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.