A NEW ELDER COMES TO LIFE

Mannowar

Sr Member
Finally! All things considered, he's lucky to be alive. The sculpt fell apart on the armiture on two different occasions in the sweltering heatwaves we had here in April and May. On the first occasion I opened the door to find him laying there in 8 or so pieces. The second time wasn't quite as bad, but I was so frustrated that I almost shelved him to move one to other projects. I'm really happy I stuck it out. Then came the molding. After molding the front half, because of the way I contour the mold to the crown ridge, I realized that the deeper than normal upper ridges were going to be a problem with demolding. I ended up having to do a 4 piece mold with the back split into 3 sections, and still ended up with mold lock on the outer two back sections and ended up having to destroy the armiture to get it out. Fortunately, the middle section in back releases fine, so I can still brush in the detail coat of latex. All in all, I'm very happy with how it turned out, but I may have to name him "Loco" due to all the crazy stuff that surrounded his creation.

As you can see, he's a true closed mouth. I don't have any quality dreads around at the moment, so I made due with what was laying around. I'm also pretty happy with the way the rune etchings turned out on the mandible tusks. I forgot to put the ring I made into his lower left tusk on the bottom of the mandible and didn't have a neck ring ready yet either, but I've been so anxious to get him finished that I just went with what I had for the photos. Let me know what you think.

Elder_5.jpg

Elder_6.jpg

Elder_1.jpg

Elder_2.jpg

Elder_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,
that has to be one of, if not the best of your work to date. I love everything about it, the teeth, colors, aging, everything. I was never a fan of the closed mouth style ... until now. If I had the money, I would be asking for a price. I still would like to see the P2 predator as an elder.

I am still working on the drawings that you requested. Damn man, GOOD JOB :mad:

George

Great !!!! unique piece!
Love the tusks and the paint !!!!

Just two things for me :

The small teeths in the back are too bright white for me
I like the pred less glossy :mad:

Thats alot of hard work! Its a great thing you didn't shelve him, cause he looks wonderful! Good job for sticking to your guns and pushing threw to the end cause he looks amazing :mad:

I'm sorry Scott, just want to say my comment, personally looks the scale head up too wide and the mouth location too hide, looks not balance but paint the color is great.

Hey Sammy, thanks for your insightful (and grammatically correct) critique... Wow, this thing must REALLY bother you since you felt the need to post the same comments not only in this thread, but someone elses thread as well. Heck, if you like, I can copy and paste your comments in my Buy and Sell thread as well in order to save you some time.

Let's break this down...

as for "... personally looks the scale head up too wide..." It may just be me, but I never really felt that Preds had narrow heads...

and...

"... the mouth location too hide, looks not balance..." If the mouth seems "hide" to you, I can only assume you mean that it's too hidden (?), well... it's a CLOSED MOUTH... therefore, you don't really see much of the mouth.

I certainly don't mind a solid critique from anyone, and if you have an opinion on something that I do, by all means, please share it... BUT, in the future, I'd really appreciate it if you have something to say about my work, then post them in my threads instead of polluting someone elses thread, one that really had nothing to do with you in the first place.

Glad to see you stuck with the sculpt after all thoese hiccups
That trully is a closed mouth, looks stellar!

As for Sammys comments, we all have our opinons.
Hey not all predators look the same, like all humans, we are different.
Bonestructure, skins, Deads even Tusk's.

Great work Scott, you have done a masterful job, can't wait to see the skin.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back