A long shot, but does anyone here know anything about the DStines TOS phasers?

I have the same Phaser and the P2 has not worked in a long time as it will no longer charge. At least n the P1 batteries can be replaced. I absolutely hate rechargeable batteries that can not be replaced.

Okeydokey, progress!
1. I've removed the bottom hatch on the P1 and found the watch batteries, so replacing them shouldn't be a problem.
(although I have a vague fear my real issue may be a switch or wiring problem)
2. I do have sound and lights on the P2 (although it's sort of anemic.)
How do you get to the P2 battery to recharge it? Is it under the saddle cover (it looks as if it is removable)?
The handle doesn't remove (as far as I can tell), although the lock nut does screw out (with some effort) but doesn't seem to have any purpose.
3. If I do get to the battery, did the phaser come with a custom charger? (not necessarily a killer. While I just have the phaser, I have lots of hardware related to lithium battery connections and charging).

Thanks for your help!
I know that this particular phaser isn't that common.
Very nice though. Feels right and the fit and finish overall is excellent (except for a small booboo on the handle. Wear or age, I'm not sure which)

We may have different Phasers. Mine is his hero version with a removable handle with the twist lock like the original ones that has the battery inside it with no way to replace it.

Mine did come with a custom charger that plugged into the bottom of the handle.

We may have different Phasers. Mine is his hero version with a removable handle with the twist lock like the original ones that has the battery inside it with no way to replace it.

Mine did come with a custom charger that plugged into the bottom of the handle.
Hmmm...
What does the charge plug look like?
As I mentioned, the lock nut on the bottom of the handle does come out, revealing a cylindrical port. I didn't try to take the handle off, it does seem to have a separation line at the top, but the mild force necessary to rotate a Hubbell based connection wasn't there, and I didn't want to force it.

On the plus side, I did replace the P1 batteries and it works fine.

Don't know much about this particular model. We're they ever sold as kits? That might explain the differences.

Hmmm...
What does the charge plug look like?
As I mentioned, the lock nut on the bottom of the handle does come out, revealing a cylindrical port. I didn't try to take the handle off, it does seem to have a separation line at the top, but the mild force necessary to rotate a Hubbell based connection wasn't there, and I didn't want to force it.

On the plus side, I did replace the P1 batteries and it works fine.

Don't know much about this particular model. We're they ever sold as kits? That might explain the differences.

The charging outlet looks like a phono jack that you would plug a pair of headphones into. The bottom of the handle as 2 small screws on either end with the outlet in the middle.

Does your P1 have the rising site with a jewel that lights up?.

I don't know if Dennis ever sold these as kits, I got mine direct from him in 2003.

Below are pictures of mine where you can just make out what the bottom of the handle looks like in the first picture.

Attachments

• TOS-Phaser I & II with Rising Sight-Dennis Stines-11.jpg
    TOS-Phaser I & II with Rising Sight-Dennis Stines-11.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 116
  • shath1.JPG
    shath1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 107
The charging outlet looks like a phono jack that you would plug a pair of headphones into. The bottom of the handle as 2 small screws on either end with the outlet in the middle.

I don't know if Dennis ever sold these as kits, I got mine direct from him in 2003.

Below are pictures of mine where you can just make out what the bottom of the handle looks like in the first picture.
This what mine looks like. It is very similar (but not identical) to the one on the yourprops website. Body, along with the little spring thingy to hold the P1 is identical. The saddle cover plate in mine is a black felt-like material rather than plastic. The bottom of the handle does seem to have a charge port.

Attachments

• KIMG0178.JPG
    KIMG0178.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • KIMG0177.JPG
    KIMG0177.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 101
This what mine looks like. It is very similar (but not identical) to the one on the yourprops website. Body, along with the little spring thingy to hold the P1 is identical. The saddle cover plate in mine is a black felt-like material rather than plastic. The bottom of the handle does seem to have a charge port.

Yay! Found the batteries.
The handle is not a twist lock (Hubbell) type, but simply slides off revealing the battery compartment. Maybe a later (or earlier) edition of the phaser?
Batteries are beefy, a pair of 6V camera batteries.

Attachments

• KIMG0179.JPG
    KIMG0179.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
I think, but am not completely sure, that is an earlier version. When I got mine he was calling it his ultimate hero.
Does yours have a vibrate function when you fire it. In mine there is a pager motor in the handle so you got tactile response when pressing the trigger, similar to what TWC did years later.

I took a look at the one on yourprops.com and that is identical to mine in looks and the way it works. I wish I had also gotten one of his communicator but I never did.

Last edited:
I think, but am not completely sure, that is an earlier version. When I got mine he was calling it his ultimate hero.
Does yours have a vibrate function when you fire it. In mine there is a pager motor in the handle so you got tactile response when pressing the trigger, similar to what TWC did years later.

I took a look at the one on yourprops.com and that is identical to mine in looks and the way it works. I wish I had also gotten one of his communicator but I never did.
Nope.
Handle is a hollow resin casting (that is showing longitudinal cracks). Nothing inside but batteries.
This seems to be a somewhat simpler model of his ultimate hero version.
Still nice, though.
Once again, thank you for all your help!
(phasers can be a mystery, sometimes)

Even though I later got the MR & TWC Phasers this was and still is one of my favorites, even if the P2 no longer works.

I have his ultimate phaser too. I think I bought it around the same time frame from Dstines. Mine has been dead for years. I didn't know the P1 had replaceable battery though. Good to know. I'll have to get a battery for it.

I wish the handle good be fixed/recharged. I'd love to get it fully working again.

The pager vibrator was a cool addition!

Don

I have his ultimate phaser too. I think I bought it around the same time frame from Dstines. Mine has been dead for years. I didn't know the P1 had replaceable battery though. Good to know. I'll have to get a battery for it.

I wish the handle good be fixed/recharged. I'd love to get it fully working again.

The pager vibrator was a cool addition!

Don
I think mine takes 4 of those little watch batteries, I can't remember the size though. There is a small hatch on the underside of the P1.

I think mine takes 4 of those little watch batteries, I can't remember the size though. There is a small hatch on the underside of the P1.
The batteries are LR44 or 357.
357s will last longer with a better discharge curve (better chemistry).
(be sure you note the installation direction when you remove them. There are no polarity markings in the P1)

And, of course, they come 3 to a package so you have to buy 6 to get 4!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back