A good material to cast a lighsaber?

THX1989

Hey fellas

I dont have access to a metal lathe but have used a wood lathe for years. Im workong on machining a V2 and a shared stunt out of wood and would love to cast them in aluminum but do not have the tools or skill to do so. So i have decided to make a silicone mold of my masters but have no idea what material to use. I am looking for a real STRONG casting material that will withstand dueling, being thrown around ,ect. Im worried about certain parts such as the neck and emitter lip. Every resin Obi saber i have had the emitter lip is always the first part to chip and break. What material would you reccomend that i use that can make a DURABLE strong saber ? I thought maybe a semi flexible urthane so thin parts like the emitter lip wont chip. But i have no knowledge of these materials and i need real strong stuff.

What do you guys think i should use?
Thanks

Hey fellas

I dont have access to a metal lathe but have used a wood lathe for years. Im workong on machining a V2 and a shared stunt out of wood and would love to cast them in aluminum but do not have the tools or skill to do so. So i have decided to make a silicone mold of my masters but have no idea what material to use. I am looking for a real STRONG casting material that will withstand dueling, being thrown around ,ect. Im worried about certain parts such as the neck and emitter lip. Every resin Obi saber i have had the emitter lip is always the first part to chip and break. What material would you reccomend that i use that can make a DURABLE strong saber ? I thought maybe a semi flexible urthane so thin parts like the emitter lip wont chip. But i have no knowledge of these materials and i need real strong stuff.

What do you guys think i should use?
Thanks

hi, Jamie! Just can't stay away even when you're banned, can you? You have the saber you stole from me?

You could use something like Task 18, which is an aluminium filled resin. It gives you a slightly heavier , metallic-ish, feeling to the piece which a lot of people like.

I don't know the durability of 18 specifically. I've only used Task 12, but the stuff is damn near bullet proof. It will survive the apocalypse and be used to build fortresses for the survivors.

If you want semi-rigid, Smooth-On's 65D is a great resin.

You could use something like Task 18, which is an aluminium filled resin. It gives you a slightly heavier , metallic-ish, feeling to the piece which a lot of people like.

I don't know the durability of 18 specifically. I've only used Task 12, but the stuff is damn near bullet proof. It will survive the apocalypse and be used to build fortresses for the survivors.

If you want semi-rigid, Smooth-On's 65D is a great resin.

Thanks for the information Mr Mold Maker. Would a semi rigid material hold up for fighting or trooping? I figured it would help keep the thin parts intact. I have handeled those Rings dummy Blueguns and they seem to be semi rigid they have some flexibility which makes them pretty durable. I dont know what that company uses but it seems an ideal material.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back