A Fools Errand? 3D Printed Blade Runner Blaster

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by PACKARACK, Apr 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Hello all. Let me start by saying that I've been an admirer of the artistry here for many years but have only recently officially signed on. I've always been interested in all things prop related but have mostly kept to myself as far as sharing or contributing to groups such as the RPF, Long story short I'm one of those guys that mostly keeps to himself satisfied with the realization that creating something I am proud of provides me a sense of comfort and escape even if no one else realizes it. Anyhow, recently my local library became the recipient of a Makerbot Replicator 2X and this has all changed.

I am in chase of a "Holy Grail" piece that I've longed for from the first day I laid eyes upon it. Like many, I've been chasing this prop for a long time and personally built numerous incarnations ranging from LEGO to card stock models. I was even a day or two away from purchasing a Sid Kit before the untimely demise of it's creator. I no longer have the funds to purchase a proper replica so I'm resorting to the generosity of a fellow artist who has shared his 3d files. The only rub is that I want to take this build a step further.

The beauty of the printer being offered by the library is that any utilization of the printer is priced at .50 cents. In other words if I sit there for 8 hours printing I'm out .50. There are no other users so I'm not "hogging" the machine. Furthermore, I've become quite proficient and with many hours of research am able to advise them in best practices for maintaining and efficiently using the machine. I feel that this is a fair trade.

Enough with the background. I've been busy printing parts but am quickly realizing the model I'm using, although very detailed, is missing some basic functionality. I'd like to make this as close to the much more expensive options out there as possible. Although I'm limited in funds I have plenty of time and dedication. Can anyone lead me to a schematic or set of instructions that might clue me in to the inner working of one of the functional blasters. I've searched high and low but can't come up with definitive answers regarding the trigger mechanisms or any "spring" related function. I'd like to give this ABS model all the functionality of a full on replica.

Thank you for any help. I'll have plenty of images very soon.

2. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

201012_18_42_a0077842_1036178.jpg

Hold on and I will see If i can find something that may help.

The front trigger can have a spring for movement . but it serves no function at all..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Daniel Nelms likes this.
  3. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Thank you sean! I'd seen the exploded view but it was not at a resolution that was legible. This is exactly what I needed.

4. Sean

Your welcome. and welcome to the RPF also. hope your project goes well. the blade runner blaster Is one of my passions..

5. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Thank you. I've been very eager tho get a proper build on since I discovered UHU's pep model. Clearly I've come to the right place. I've built it no less than 10 times.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. king20000

king20000 New Member

So clear for the gun running.

7. Sean

Trigger and hammer for an actual bulldog. the trigger spring function's slightly different from the YouTube demo.

IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG

PACKARACK likes this.
  8. Sean

Inner housing of a cast bulldog frame. the small little divot hole on the corner ledge Inside Is were the springs tension works the trigger. I think the tomenosuke spring system my defer a pinch. not sure on that.

IMG_0785.JPG

PACKARACK likes this.
  9. Nixon

Nixon Active Member

PM me if you need any help/ I've got a bit of a soft spot for 3D modelling Blade Runner stuff.
    Blade Runner Blaster.jpg

PACKARACK likes this.
  10. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Thanks guys. I've had my head buried in research and thanks to the fine folks on this forum have come across some great stuff. I stumbled upon RAC Props Photobucket. The instructions for his kits have helped a lot. I'm in the process of modifying the .stl files to improve accuracy. I have some doubts as far as the scale of the 3d model I have but won't have a problem re printing. Below is where I am so far and this has cost me a grand total of $3. Loving the Seekonk Public Library!

IMAG1386.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Nixon. Really impressed by your work on the Syd Mead Blaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much sean. These are exactly what I've been looking for!

Sean likes this.
  11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is that all 3D printed? Even the screws?

12. Sean

your very welcome. what ever I can do to help. just ask. i'm In the process of building a ghost right now.

PACKARACK likes this.
  13. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Yes it is Mike. I'd like the resolution to be a bit better but my only experience in 3d printing is using the MakerBot 2x and since it's at the library I'm a bit limited as to being able to tweak it. Although I have been labled a "Power User" by the staff. I'm sure I'll be able to dial it in shortly.

14. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

I'm really concerned about the scale of my print. Is there a definitive point of reference for an accurate scale? I'm really getting into re modeling the 3d files for this. I want to make sure it will be worth the time and effort. As always much appreciated!

15. Mike J.

So, why did you print the screws?

THis photo has a scale on it. If you have some image editing software, you can scale it and compare it to your measurements.

Attached Files:

Sean likes this.
  16. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

The files I'm using were generously shared on the net. I just dove in when I found out I had access to a 3d printer because I was very excited for the opportunity. The screws were the first thing I ever printed. As all things project related as I continued I began seeing many areas of improvement. Don't get me wrong on the surface the provided files are a godsend but I'm one of those people that just can't leave well enough alone. I'm now in the process of accurizing the cad files and will reprint many if not all of the parts. It literally costs me pennies to print the parts so why not go whole hog. Thank you for this Mike.

17. Mike J.

Oh, don't thank me, thank Karl Tate (Phase Pistol) :)

He photographed the crap out of the hero at a con.

18. LumberKnight

LumberKnight New Member

This is awesome! through Adam Savage and reading the book i wanted a plastic/resin kit (as i'm in Australia and don't particularly need a metal one) that moves - in the sense that it can be field stripped!.

So my idea is you could do a run and split the profits (in a reasonable ratio) with the library (maybe 60% library 40% you or vice versa). Im sure if libraries are like those in Aust. they will appreciate any extra money they can get!!

Just a thought though>

oh also i did find a resin kit that did what i wanted it too apparently (but no longer) made by monster in motion.
    http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/265 < is the article which entails the kit.

CSdesign likes this.
  19. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

This is not a bad idea. I'm getting to know the staff pretty well and will run it past them. I've got to correct the cad files first though.

20. Phil Resch

Phil Resch New Member

21. Zugor

Zugor New Member

Would you be interested in sharing those CAD files? I would love to look at them.

22. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Sure would. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/deckards-blaster-blade-runner-5694 A fellow by the name of Andrew Forster created them. It's a great model to start with but my OCD kicked in and I'm in the process of reworking it so that it matches some of the more prominent models with working features. I'll share the modified files as well once I'm done.

23. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Pretty happy with my progress so far. Going to run a test print or two tomorrow.

Blaster_CAD.jpg

24. CSdesign

CSdesign New Member

how is it going? i would love to see the finished product

25. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Well it's been a while but I've made some fantastic progress. The toughest part of this build has been engineering the gun so that it actually has all the features of a much more expensive replica. So far the trigger works exactly like a real fire arm. I'm in the process of designing the mechanisms that will rotate and stop the cylinder. I've made every attempt to match the individual components to those of the Coyle blasters. Still lots of work ahead.

Obviously lots of clean up and finish work is still needed but I'm extremely happy so far. The build you see below has set me back a grand total of $9.50 in increments of .50 at my local library.

V1.0 was about 16% too small in my estimations.
    IMAG1430.jpg

The gun has a full bulldog frame.
    IMAG1431.jpg

Trying hard to mimic an actual firearm.
    IMAG1433.jpg

IMAG1432.jpg

IMAG1435.jpg

IMAG1439.jpg

More to come!

Attached Files:

Daniel Nelms, Sean, mugatu and 2 others like this.
  26. Sean

WOW! you've done an amazing job. needs a few tweaks but It is very nice work. your back plate needs a bit of rounding..

IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG

27. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

Sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. LumberKnight

LumberKnight New Member

wow $9.50 ! that's amazing value, if you intend to do a run of these what are th extra parts and there cost ? ( like the spring you have for the trigger.) and have you approached the library about splitting profits from a run ? Continue the good work its amazing

CSdesign likes this.
  29. freeshrugs

freeshrugs New Member

What are the chances that you'll release the 3D parts files? I'd love to print one up for myself.

30. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fascinating work. I'm very interested in your progress.

31. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

If you made them reasonable I would be in for a run. I haven't gotten around for one of theese yet

CSdesign likes this.
  32. CSdesign

CSdesign New Member

i am in for a run too

33. LumberKnight

LumberKnight New Member

awesome keep up the good work :D

CSdesign likes this.
  34. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

I now have a 3d printer and found a decent file for a blaster, I may be giving this a try

CSdesign likes this.
  35. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've been doing a lot of testing and printing as of late while working way too many hours. Anyhow I've made a bunch of progress and have mastered the strengths and limitations of the Makerbot I'm working with.

After having started this build I wanted to challenge myself and test the limits of the ABS material I'm printing with. My goal became the creation of a mechanically accurate prop firearm. I've done tons of research with regard to the mechanics of a revolver and can proudly say that every element I set out to employ has worked perfectly. Albeit with multiple prints and reprints tweaking the parts and print density to make the part robust enough for whatever it's intended purpose is.

With all of this work being put into the PKD I've also started to think about turning this gun into a prototype for casting. I've been doing research on cold casting with metal powders and low temp metal casting. I haven't done much more than figuring out the basics so this is something that will not happen soon. Aside from that I am going to install electronics into the blaster but make them unobtrusive and not something that will take away from the ascetic factor in any way.

As far as a run of these goes I'm not going to offer it in a 3D printed format if at all. Printing the parts required for the run would simply take too much time as the printer I'm using is located at the public library. If I do decide, after finishing all of the parts, to cast the PKD it will either be in resin or metal and retain all the functionality I've built into it.

Now a bit about my philosophy for the build. I'm not looking to make a spot on replica of the filming prop. My build is in some ways PKD fan fiction. My goal is to make a replica that strongly resembles the iconic original but with additional functionality and without some things that have always bothered me. My model will have all the functionality of a real firearm aside from the obvious ability to actually fire. I have never been a fan of the front trigger being a dead part of the gun and plan on integrating electronics to simulate a "charging" or secondary firing mode. The ON / OFF switch is also a goner. Furthermore the bolt will be wired and actually control some of the LEDs. I want this model to be something that could actually exist in the BR mythos and am working hard to conceptualize the actual mechanics of the firearm in a logical way. To that end I'm also working on blue prints and a cut away that will explain the fictional technology behind the blaster.

Please understand that the model in the images is unfinished. I wanted to get the mechanics down before tending to the laborious hours of sanding and filling.

So far we have:
    • A working trigger and hammer
    • A working cartridge ejector
    • A working cylinder pin
    • A working cylinder pin release

Still in development:
    • A working cylinder advance lever
    • A working cylinder advance lock
    • Electronics

So far the build stands me $22.50 including any springs or screws purchased at the Depot. I know the fasteners I've used in some of the images are not accurate but I needed to button everything up with what I had to test the mechanics. The gun is 100% ABS aside from the obvious springs and fasteners all pins and mechanical parts are plastic. On to the pix!

PS. Real "Blood - Sweat - Tears" went into this project. The bandage on my thumb is the result of nearly cutting off the tip of my thumb with a pair of wire strippers while cutting a screw. I was foolish enough to not know where my digests were while operating it. Because I'm a stubborn bastard instead of going to the local walk-in i simply employed some Zap. A bit of numbness due to nerve damage but none the worse for wear!

IMAG1470.jpg

IMAG1467.jpg

IMAG1472.jpg

IMAG1473.jpg

IMAG1475.jpg

IMAG1478.jpg

IMAG1444.jpg

IMAG1445.jpg

Working Cylinder Release
    IMAG1480.jpg
    Working Cartridge Ejector and Cylinder Locking Pin
    IMAG1481.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Sean and Pharmer Ray like this.
  36. sa maker

sa maker New Member

PACKARACK it might be a "fools errand" but I love looking at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    PACKARACK likes this.
  37. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Thank you!

Has anyone ever attempted to have ABS engraved? I'd love to be able to have some markings on the blaster but am not sure how to proceed.

38. Sean

It's amazing you have achieved so much functionality from printing. i would not have thought it possible. may I ask a question please. does your hammer have the small little part that has a spring in it? works in conjunction with the trigger.

very nice work!:thumbsup

39. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Thanks Sean. Yes it does. I've mimicked the actual workings of a functional firearm. I'll post pics after work.

CSdesign and Sean like this.
  40. Jedioz

Jedioz Active Member

wow well done

41. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

Sorry for the delay. As requested the internal workings of the hammer. Please excuse the image quality. My HTC One M7 is in dire need of replacement.

IMAG1560.jpg

IMAG1562.jpg

On other fronts, instead of just ditching the original which by my calculations was too small I decided to turn it into a snub nose revolver.

IMAG1568.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1564.jpg

Hope you guys like them. Lots of finishing work left to do. All comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks for looking!

Neuromancer and Sean like this.
  42. Mike J.

A snub-nose PKD: very clever. Rick Ross has made some of those as well.

43. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

I just researched his versions. Inspiring work to be sure! It'll take me many moons to achieve those kinds of results.

Also, I just discovered your site Mike. Very cool stuff!

44. joberg

joberg Master Member

Very good job on that BR Blaster mate! Snubs were also made by DaveG on Propsummit.com (as well as Rick Ross, mentioned by Mike;))

45. Mike J.

I knew I was forgetting someone, but I couldn't remember his name. He's Goldberg Arms, right? I should have just checked my files.

46. Sean

I solute your adventure into this build. Iv'e spent a long time learning what you've researched In a short amount of time, and then made it a reality. my first purchase of a printed object left me with regret. but it was the creators lack of research that was the problem. and I was to trusting.

Your build shows me It can be done properly. bravo...:thumbsup

47. Fetasigma1977

Fetasigma1977 New Member

I may be following you in this quest very soon :)

48. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Great work!

49. joberg

joberg Master Member

Yes Mike, it's Goldberg Arms:)

50. PACKARACK

PACKARACK New Member

I've been on hiatus working on other 3D printed projects but am now getting back to the PKD. Does anyone have a list of all the screws incorporated in the blaster? I've been searching and have not had much luck. Thanks in advance for any help!