a dred question..

vgfett

I am trying to create some dreds going off of one of the Rubies upgrade threads found here, and the person who wrote it was doing the dreds using "backer rods".

Where can I get these? I looked at my local Home Depot last night, and the closest thing I could find was pipe insulation foam in 6' sections. Can I just use that instead?

Thanks in advance,

vgfett

I am trying to create some dreds going off of one of the Rubies upgrade threads found here, and the person who wrote it was doing the dreds using "backer rods".

Where can I get these? I looked at my local Home Depot last night, and the closest thing I could find was pipe insulation foam in 6' sections. Can I just use that instead?

Thanks in advance,

vgfett

UPDATE: I found out doing some other searches where it might be in HD, I may have overlooked it.. will be checking again today.

UPDATE: I found out doing some other searches where it might be in HD, I may have overlooked it.. will be checking again today.

So I ran to HD at lunch, and after walking the whole flippin' store, I found what's called "caulk saver" made by Frost King. The only prob is, the biggest size they have is 5/8". Has anyone used that size for their dreds?

This is harder than I thought it would be LOL

i used 5/8 on my mask, it was big enough for me, but you can go online and google backer rod. there are multiple suppliers online that have roles of 1 inch or more or less

i used 5/8 on my mask, it was big enough for me, but you can go online and google backer rod. there are multiple suppliers online that have roles of 1 inch or more or less

Thanks! I'm trying to piece this together before the 9th so I'm trying to use as many local providers as possible.

Also, on the plasti-dip, HD only had black so I bought that. I'm seeing some folks used green- what's the "industry standard" preferred color?

dreadlocks are black. on my dreads i used about 2 and a half cans. i bought 3 roles of the 5/8 backer rod. i made the dread rings of simple 1/2 pvc. its the cheapest route to go.

OK I have bought my 5/8" backer rod roll, and cut my first 24" section.. IT HAS BEGUN!!!!!!!!!!

My next step was to learn the dimensions of the "rings" on the dreadlocks (I was calling them "braids", not sure where I'd picked that term up from, thought it was here but oh well), and I have found the below thread:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

If anyone has any do's/don'ts regarding the rings, I'd like to hear them. At present, I'm leaning towards doing the PVC ones that are then painted gold, for fear that any other option (ie the copper pipe) might end up making the mask too heavy and unwearable.

Using copper pipe would be too heavy and definitely too expensive.... you'll want to stick with a thin plastic, or use that tutorial. Good luck!

Using copper pipe would be too heavy and definitely too expensive.... you'll want to stick with a thin plastic, or use that tutorial. Good luck!

Thanks- I'm actually working backwards, as my costume is coming in the mail, and I'm trying to gather all of the other items in the meantime to have them ready.

I'm hoping to do some research on the PVC rings and/or EMT/ETM parts today.

Ya know,

You might be able to score some scrap ABS pipe. Ask your neighbors, find a construction site, or go to Home Depot and ask for any scrap ABS they might have cut, hell, you never know what "extras" they might have laying around you could use. I figure since you are under the gun and trying to keep costs down, get as much as you can locally for free. If you can find large enough diameter, you could work up some gauntlets too. Also, you can check out any sign shops and ask if they have any scrap Sintra (ask them for closed cell PVC foamboard). Good luck.

Ya know,

You might be able to score some scrap ABS pipe. Ask your neighbors, find a construction site, or go to Home Depot and ask for any scrap ABS they might have cut, hell, you never know what "extras" they might have laying around you could use. I figure since you are under the gun and trying to keep costs down, get as much as you can locally for free. If you can find large enough diameter, you could work up some gauntlets too. Also, you can check out any sign shops and ask if they have any scrap Sintra (ask them for closed cell PVC foamboard). Good luck.

I would looooooooooooooooooooooove to have the gauntlets too.. Years ago I tried to assemble a Boba costume for Celebration II in Indy, and I had to bail on it because even though my armor was looking good, the flight suit portion was looking ghetto, and I was running out of time. :)

Predator gauntlets would provide a nice healing process for my bounty hunter failure..

1/2" pvc tubing can be bought at any local hardware store. use your judgment on how big they should be.

Thanks POD,

I've acquired a large number of images off of the web, and am going to use them to determine the best size for the rings. I want them to look most like the ones in P1 so I'm sure I'll be watching my P1 DVD alot over the Holiday weekend!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back