A Brand New Batman

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Deck star, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

my friend loves to dress as Batman for the special kids Christmas party so when his suit wore out I suggesting making a custom fitted suit to replace it. This thread will document the progress.
    I started by making a lifecast of him and he loved the experience and likened it to being treated like a movie star.
    [​IMG]
    My first step was to sculpt his brow and get the look of the whole cowl.
    I have been given free reign to design my own version of the suit.
    [​IMG]
    I like a scowl on Batman and was inspired by the vision Scarecrow has in Batman Begins.
    Next I decided on quite long ears,
    [​IMG]
    This is the rough sculpt of the overall shape.
    And here is my attempt to add a bit of interesting detail to the eyes.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I came up with for the nose and cheeks,
    [​IMG]
    my plan is that when he smiles at kids these details will help make the mask look less threatening.
    And finally here is the finished sculpt ready for molding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will be making a muscle suit next.

Gordon Gekko likes this.
  2. DJDARYO1982

DJDARYO1982 New Member

Nice bro! can you make a step by step process for the muscle suit?? it will be great! :rolleyes

3. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

This sculpt is really beautiful, the only thing that bugs me is the nose.....I actually prefered the sculpt before the extra nose piece was added......

Please don't take it as criticism...your mask sculpt is really good! The ears in particular are stunning! I just get a bit fed up with the beak thing...

Rich

4. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks like Hawk man lol. Awesome work though

5. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

I was thinking of parrot man. And the ears don't do a thing for me, they remind me of small antlers.

6. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

Cheers for the ideas guys, I'm definitely going to paint one up multi-colored with velvet on the ears and call him PARROTMOOSE he will be a truly awesome superhero who lives a double life between Rio De Janiero and Winnipeg. :lol

7. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't really get the Batman Vibe from this. I know this is from your own mind/vision, so I can't judge but still, It's missing that "it" factor we all come to love from batman cowls.

I feel bad though, I don't mean to sound so harsh. Please don't take my comments to heart.

It's the ears and nose that the others have mentioned before.

I probably couldn't do better than that, so I just speak as a spectator.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. bron

bron New Member

It looks more like a demonic version of Bats. The arching, high eyebrows and the way the ears curve inwards give a more satanical vibe. From the side it almost looks like he is wearing goggles underneath the cowl.

Like others have side, there is such fantastic talent here, but I think the style maybe a little aggressive if you can't carry it through the entire suit.

9. Trademarked

Trademarked Member

I agree with bron in the demonesk take on the mask. I also find the nose looking more like a beak or "hawkish".

All this said its a fantastic sculpt and if you can carry it into the muscle suit. I was thinking more arkham asylum style with the stitching or even having runes or something carved into parts of the muscles could look sick!

Just my own two sense keep up the good work and gl on your project :)

10. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

[​IMG]
    I'm happy, he is happy. If you don't like it, make your own 'perfect' Batman.

11. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Boom. :thumbsup

12. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Exactly!

Thanks for sharing your work on this and I hope we see more updates.

13. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks Great!

14. BatTexan

BatTexan Active Member

That's kind of the neat thing about Batman: there are as many interpretations of Batman as there are artists who've worked on him. If the guy wearing it is happy, and the guy who made it is happy, that's what really matters. And as somebody who has made several bat cowls, I can appreciate the amount of work it takes!

You know, I actually think it looks better cast and worn than it did as a sculpt. I'd like to see more pix of him wearing it, closeups from different angles.:D

15. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Very nice work! More closeup pics please...

16. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

Well I can't refuse such a request, so...
    [​IMG]
    My muscle suit is made by gluing foam on to a tight shirt, with some carving in situ.
    [​IMG]
    then I glue a 4-way stretch fabric over top. (spandex)
    [​IMG]
    over that goes different sizes of mesh and then I paint it all with latex
    [​IMG]
    I used 6 types of texture on the torso and 2 on the legs
    [​IMG]
    looks great all black
    [​IMG]
    a couple more shots of it all together
    [​IMG]

17. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

simply AMAZING!!!... good job!:):thumbsup

thanks for sharing (y)thumbsup

18. DesertKnight

DesertKnight New Member

I didn't comment on the original sculpt as I wanted to see the whole thing together. Looks awesome, and to me its reminiscent of the Batman from 'Joker' (Azzerello & Bermejo's noir piece). I absolutely love the all black vaguely supernatural look. I like how you got the texture on the muscle suit, and I just may shamelessly steal that idea for my own build. Great build all together, awesome job.

19. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

Looks great, thanks for sharing and I love seeing the sculpt and how the final product came out! It makes me think of a hybrid Dark Knight Returns / Demon batman from the TDK flick, like a dark batman.

I think people really should choose their words carefully when offering constructive criticism and maybe link their references or threads with other ideas to their post... So as not to put off or discourage people offering up pics of their hard work and effort. :darnkids (I posted the shaking fist man instead o the expletives I was thinking.)

Thanks for posting and don't take those posts wrong, I think in general the vast majority of people are trying to be helpful, not be snarky jerks. Many of us loooove seeing people who actually create things contribute.

20. SailorEarth

SailorEarth Active Member

It's nice to see a personal take on Batman, I like it! Thanks for showing how you made the muscle suit, too. Your buddy is quite lucky :thumbsup

21. Friko

Friko Well-Known Member

Yep, he said it best there. I too have done a bat cowl and can appreciate the time and effort you have put into this. It's cool that you did you own design. Its always refreshing to see a new take on such an iconic character. And you did it for a good cause. Good work. And at least it wasnt another iron man suit ;)

22. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

...And then he got to meet our presidenté,
    [​IMG]
    A man named after the thing that unlocks a toilet.
    I've seen starwars guys at the White house, Anyone else got pictures of their costumes with world leaders?

23. eko2184

eko2184 Member

Nice work!

24. Survivalist

Survivalist Member

Bro, this is fantastic work!! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the fabric? I want to finish an Arkham inspired suit and those fabrics would be ideal. Also, those are some mad skills on the cowl. Maybe I'll get there one day...

25. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

awesome work dude, that's a mean looking Batman.

26. digisloth

digisloth New Member

I like the meaner looking interpretation of Batman, nice custom work bro! :)

27. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

Wow. Very impressive. That mesh over the muscles looks great. Can you share what kind of glue you used? Spandex is a foreign material to me lol.

28. Moosedan

Moosedan New Member

Nice job. Was it neat seeing you head in in 3d vs 2d?

29. Royal Dump

Royal Dump Active Member

nice! You guys are making me want to make a batman suit!

30. Random490

Random490 Member

That is an amazing costume. I was planning something similar but figured it was never going to turn out great. But now that I seen how incredible this turned out, I'm trying it. I have a few questions

I too know very little of fabrics and glue and would love to know what you used and what works best.

I really want to know about the glue, I had a project that was a huge pain trying to find the right kind of glue and in the end I didn't get the result I wanted. So it would be immensely helpful if you could tell use that.

And again, amazing costume

31. Lucien Kane

Lucien Kane Well-Known Member

The suit is amazing, you have a wonderful process for that.

The cowl is not one I would wear personally, just because of my face and bone structure.

However that being said, the cowl is amazing and looks great on the gentleman you made it for. It is an awesome unique take on Batman, and it turned out fantastic!

32. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

cheers, I just made another one. This one is built on to a mannequin and I added a sculpted chin and eyes so it can be a display statue. The process was the same but I learned a lot on the last one and have improved my techniques.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spandex is the same as lycra but just look for anything with a 4 way stretch. the glue is a spray on contact adhesive. Stick it all down and coat it in colored liquid latex. post a link here if you try it, I'd love to see the result. I might even have a few more tips once you get going.

33. Batpirisss

Batpirisss Member

You created something, it made kids happy, thats what its all about and as good as it gets.

34. cbp44189

cbp44189 New Member

Great job, very inspiring.

35. Michaelsean

Michaelsean New Member

thats really cool i like it alot its like a comic begins suit if that makes since lol but very nice

36. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

the only thing i see to criticize is the belt purley because its too small and im assuming a rubies belt. the cowl is awsome and the suit :eek

37. Deck star

Deck star Active Member

this suit now for sale. PM me for info.