90's Ninja Turtle Sewer Lid WIP

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone ever made one of these? Watched the first 2 films earlier and now I have "turtle fever". Lol!

Couldn't find any good shots of the top from the film, so after a quick Google search I found some 30 year old NYC sewer lids that have the same general texture-pattern on top, and schematics for a standard manhole cover that match the shape of the bottom seen on the sewer lid in the film.
orkglOi.jpg

n1HLNEN.gif

FkVp6Hk.png

nxzCoE3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd definitely contract someone with a CNC router for this. You could even have them hollow our the back so it looks nice and thick but doesn't require much to hang it on your wall.

An interesting idea on this, if you use the CNC router to make a negative, you could easily pop out a bunch using expanding foam to make some light replicas.
If I do a run, it will be pretty limited due to the size.. I would most likely do a cold cast resin with a foam backside to keep it light weight but it will have a real steel look to the surface that can be polished.

Great research, I cant believe you found a schematic of a NYC sewer lid!! (y)

Has anyone ever made one of these? Watched the first 2 films earlier and now I have "turtle fever". Lol!

Couldn't find any good shots of the top from the film, so after a quick Google search I found some 30 year old NYC sewer lids that have the same general texture-pattern on top, and schematics for a standard manhole cover that match the shape of the bottom seen on the sewer lid in the film.
View attachment 853823
View attachment 853824
View attachment 853825
View attachment 853826

...cant believe you found a schematic of a NYC sewer lid!! (y)
It took some digging, but I was glad to find it. Asked my cousin who is a construction worker in New York City by chance, and he took some time from his day to verify measurements on one of the cities older (1988-1993-ish) manhole covers for me. So a huge thanks to him!

One of my biggest issues with this project is this: I am doing the bottom of the manhole cover for my personal piece. For a run I would probably only do the top section, and make the bottom optional. The reason behind that is even though the bottom is flat and even, wouldn't it make wall hanging or life size desplays difficult? Mine will most likely be sitting in the corner of the office until I get my turtle suit made.

Let me spend the next week or so making up some patterns and vectors and experiment with different products. I will try to keep this thread up to date as I go along, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm or post here on the thread!

This movie had it's flaws but the sets and costumes were outstanding! This is an awesome project! The lamest thing about the new turtle films was that they were so huge they'd never realistically get down into a sewer from the streets.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back