90% REAL Obi-Wan Kenobi saber - PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Romans Empire, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I finally got around to putting my authentic parts together and taking a few pictures. I also messed with the booster position (see below). So okay. Here's what's on the saber:

Real - AS Starlite Handwheel
    Real - ANM2 Booster
    Real - Graflex Clamp
    Real - Exactra 19 Calc bubble
    Real - #3 MK1 Rifle Grenade

Replica - Balance Pipe - mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tried to line the booster up correctly. From what I’ve seen, the boosters out there have the weld in the same spot. I circled the weld and hole between the fins on my saber and the Chronicles picture. Although the Chronicles picture is a bit darker in that area, there seems to be something there…Anyhow, here’s what I got:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. frightzone_4_you

frightzone_4_you Well-Known Member

IMPRESSIVE... :thumbsup :thumbsup

3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Love the photo backdrop.

4. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

thats so beutiful... it makes me nautious happy and mad all at the same time.

freakin thing of beauty my friend, one of these days im gonna get some of your parts...

ive got like 3 things that i cant afford to be working on, and a real graflex in route to me,

but God if this isnt next in line,

my must haves are as follows,

luke ANH screen accurate saber

luke ANH hero TK suit,

as close as possible to screen accurate obi ANH.

ive went ahead and limited myself to ANH... and those are the top 3 items.... and you are the man for the obi bro, im so envious of your skills, but thankfull for your hard work and dedication to the authenticity of a piece that only within the year has even been fully discovered.

(any discounts for asskissers?) :p

seriously... AWESOME... :D :thumbsup :thumbsup

5. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

I think I'm going to cry that's so beautiful. :cry

6. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Me jealous? No, not at all ... :angel :rolleyes

Great saber. :thumbsup

7. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

This is my take on the vent hole issue as of January this year. Welds have not always been in the same location vs. the vent holes on real boosters so it is an interesting question. Roman I can understand your suspicions about the area you're pointing to, but I think that blob's just a blob--shape isn't quite right and there's not one in the opposite position where it should be.

[​IMG]

8. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Impressive job Roman. it looks REALLY nice. :thumbsup

9. Romans Empire

Thanks guys :)

Hey Serafino. Where have you been? You may be correct, but I've gotta go with my gut...
    and my gut says that if the we can find on a real part what looks like a blob in those fuzzy pictures...
    chances are that blob is a detail. :)

But then again, I'm still the only believer in the notches being at the top of the saber. :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Looks great Roman :thumbsup

11. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gorgeous. :love

12. blufive

blufive Sr Member

That's one purdy saber.

:)

13. Darth_Pain

Darth_Pain Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL. :love Worth it's wieght in gold I'll bet.

Here's mine w/ all of Roman's replica parts except my clamp is an original Graflex.
    I see we had the same background idea. :D

[​IMG]

14. ATL Kenobi

ATL Kenobi Well-Known Member

Hey Roman, GREAT job on the saber. :thumbsup

On my ANM2, the weld is on the next fin above where yours is.

And Roman thanks for directing me to the RPF last November; I'm finally a member. :thumbsup :D I'm glad to be here.

ATL

15. Romans Empire

Thanks again guys.

Nice saber DP. :eek Yeah, this saber displays best out in "the rough". I wouldn't mind seeing more OB1 pics. I just never get tired of seeing this saber and all the individual weathering details / touches by each builder.

Glad you finally joined ATL. Welcome.

16. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Most impressive......

17. Skippy

Skippy New Member

Very nice. :D Not sure I'd ever have the balls to lay a saber out in the dirt for photos tho' :wacko

Can you post details of how you cut your calc bubbles down to fit the clamp please? I have originals for my Graflex, MPP & replica Obi ANH, but don't want to start messing with them until I know the best way to do it :confused

18. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

nice job Roman. I was waiting for you to post some pics of your's. I always enjoy the group shots you put together- four hilts at a time, but this one certainly stands out on its own. The brass screws in the clamp are a nice touch as well, don't see that often. Planning to weather the clamp anymore? Either way, its a nice piece.

19. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

Very nice. Obi ANH is my favorite saber of all time (followed by Luke ROTJ and then Obi ROTS). I love all the individual touches everyone puts on their sabers. I wish this saber wasn't so dang expensive when compared to other sabers from SW (I'm not willing to spend $350+ on a 11" item when there are way bigger things like LOTR swords that settle for half this price on ebay) . I had to settle for the MR mini :( . I'f I had the money, I'd buy all the most accurate parts available from different guys to make a true screen accurate ANH. But first, I'd like to save up and buy two Roman sabers (one AFBB and one weathered) first. I like Romans the best out of all the dealers I know of. Your parts ROCK. Keep 'em coming.

P.S.-- Do you have or make any other sabers besides the Obi ANH? I know this thing's the best but doesn't it get old after a while?

20. Darth_Pain

Roman,
    Thank you. After all, I couldn't have done it with out your parts.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 9 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1277352[/snapback]</div>
    No. :p

21. grumblepants

grumblepants New Member

All I can say is "WOW."

Between your saber and Darth_Pain's I'm getting impatient to start getting parts together for my Obi-wan.

Very nice job guys.

22. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth_Pain @ Jul 9 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]1277501[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Darth Pain, how did you wheather your aluminum grenade to look like the steel weathered grenades? It's on my top five favorite Obi weathered sabers ;) . It looks awesome. And I can't leave Roman out of this. You did really good also. Great work both of you.

23. Romans Empire

<div class='quotetop'>(Skippy @ Jul 9 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1277186[/snapback]</div>
    I never took before and after pictures, but I can tell you how I did it. I just used my grinding wheel and trimmed it down until it was the correct length. Just take your time and you should be okay. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 9 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1277352[/snapback]</div>
    I don't make other parts, but I do own several other sabers. However this one and the EP1 OB1 are my favorites. :)

24. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jul 9 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]1277590[/snapback]</div>
    I never took before and after pictures, but I can tell you how I did it. I just used my grinding wheel and trimmed it down until it was the correct length. Just take your time and you should be okay. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 9 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1277352[/snapback]</div>
    I don't make other parts, but I do own several other sabers. However this one and the EP1 OB1 are my favorites. :)
    [/b][/quote]

You know, the TPM and ATOC Obi does kinda look like the ROTS and ANH when you rearange the parts a little. Can anyone photoshop a TPM obi pic to arange the parts in this order?
    (Left to right)
    Pommel, black area in emmiter, buttons, main handgrip, skinny area between pommel and handgrip, emmiter frame.

I thought this up while thumbing through the TPM VD a few weeks ago.

25. forcefx

forcefx Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jul 8 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]1276829[/snapback]</div>

JUST AWESOME...

26. Prometheus

Prometheus Well-Known Member

Most impressive. :eek

27. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Sweet saber. All the work is shining through.

28. Darth_Pain

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 9 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]1277508[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Darth Pain, how did you wheather your aluminum grenade to look like the steel weathered grenades? It's on my top five favorite Obi weathered sabers ;) . It looks awesome. And I can't leave Roman out of this. You did really good also. Great work both of you.
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks for the props. :$

Lets see, first I made the mistake of getting a anodized grenade. The black is just too shiny to be made into a weathered version. I should have went for the beadblast. :unsure
    It just made me do alot more sanding. I sanded the whole thing until the black was really light.Then soaked it in Aluminium-Black. I got a Iron surfacer and antiqueing solution from Micheals. Painted everything heavily with the Iron surfacer,let dry, then sprayed the entire granade with the antiqueing solution, and then I threw it in the coldest darkest corner of my basement. After a few days it was ALL rusty.
    Toooo rusty, so I sanded off the rust until I got the look I wanted. Then, hit it with a coat of matte sealer to try and kill the smell. That Alumi-Black REALLY REAKS. :eek:
    The hardest part was that the iron likes to rust yellow. I was constantly taking off the yellow spots and trying again until I got a dark red/orange.

I actually haven't finished it yet. I still want to add the wires, brass screw, and the weld.

29. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

Nice work. Too bad the MR sabers can't have the correct thin part of the tube before the emitter.

30. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Romans Empire @ Jul 8 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]1276913[/snapback]</div>
    I see a little notch also :) . As well as one on the windvane. Weren't these grenades hand machined back then and maybe the guy who made this one went a bit too far? But then again, it might just be an illusion caused by the fuzzy camera :unsure . We will NEVER know until they squeal on where the real prop is. For them to keep ALL those costumes, latex masks, buttons, and other random background items and LOSE at least two LIGHTSABERS (Obi ANH and Luke ROTJ V2) in the process ( :angry ) seems a little fishy when you think about it. Didn't somebody here say that the V2 was seen in the background of an archives photo that ICONS took a long while back? That makes it seem stranger that they "lost it during production".

And DarthPain, I notice your grenade has those notches Roman was talking about. Do they come with his grenade or did you add them yourself?

31. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Junksabers, Lucas rented a lot of the props for the first movie from Bapty. The only reason the Obi stunt sabers were retained and used as Luke's ROTJ saber is that they were made by the studio and so were owned by the production.

Although itÂ’s not certain that this is the case, thereÂ’s reason to believe that the Obi saber was made from rented parts and may have been returned to Bapty and dismantled after the film wrapped.

32. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Serafino @ Jul 12 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1279644[/snapback]</div>
    If that IS the case then there's no hope of ever knowing about "how it was assembled" or "what's in the places we cant see". But maybe there is hope. Maybe these parts have a record of what movie they were used in, where they were sent to, what date were they rented on, and so forth. That way we just might be able to finally solve this mistery once and for all.

P.S.-- It does seem strange to me that Bapty would have an old Derwent interconnecter, a spare ANM2 booster, a spare AS handwheel (that I'm sure they wouldn't have allowed it drilled into to serve as a holing place for the D-ring), and a Graflex clamp just laying around. The grenade seems plausable since it could've been used in a military movie, but that's the only part I belive they could've rented if they rented it at all.

33. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Re: no hope. That's pretty much it, unless someone in the production walked off with it and it resurfaces some day.

Re: Bapty having weird stuff. Bapty provided props for all different sorts of films and TV series, including some science-fiction stuff, so it's not that odd that they would have all sorts of surplus oddities from junkyards, particularly military items, no matter how large. There is the possibility, as I understand it, that some of this stuff came from the studio prop department. But we should not assume Bapty was restricted from design--there have been times when Bapty designed and made props for movies, I've seen reference to them hiring a designer to work with them on Merlin, for instance, FWIW. In any case someone who dealt in props had lots of old aircraft engines and camera parts and so on, this is obvious as you can see it all throughout the movie.

As for the handwheel, since they were for sale at the time in the local hardware stores I'm sure there was no problem at all with drilling holes in them.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1279667[/snapback]</div>

34. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

Oh well :( . There's goes another dream of mine that will never come true :cry .

35. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]1279589[/snapback]</div>
    Roman's grenades come like that. :thumbsup

36. Romans Empire

Yup, mine come like that. :)

37. MikeyX

MikeyX Well-Known Member

Awesome saber Roman - it's always cool to see sabers made from some of the real components - particularly when they are (I assume) the ones you based your replicas on. Thanks for posting them. :D :thumbsup

I have an AFBB using Romans replica parts and chromed Stormpath transistors. Currently it's still pretty much as Roman supplies the clean parts. Every so often I think about painting this bit, or changing it a little bit to make a slightly different AFBB - but I can never bring myself to do anything to it as it looks so good as it is.

Maybe one day I'll get round to making a weathered one to go with it.

38. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

That looks good Roman.

I'm firmly in the camp that there were notches in the top of the grenades so you aren't alone.

As for how it was originally assembled, I still believe it was held together with screws, wire, and glue with no true support piece in the middle.

39. Romans Empire

Thanks Gav. Glad to see you're still around.

:cheers

40. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

god those are so gorgeous i just want to vomit because i cant take in all that is the coolness of THAT authentic of an obi saber prop.

thanks again for all that the guys involved in these projects have acomplished for the community, i havent yet started my obi saber, but rest assured, if the parts are available you will have my buisness when im ready. :D

just gorgeous, bot of them, roman... just... yeah, WOW. :confused

41. Johnleprekan

Johnleprekan New Member

Nice job.

What is an ANM2 Booster?

42. propgangsta

propgangsta New Member

Looking good. Nice job.

43. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Johnleprekan @ Jul 24 2006, 04:50 AM) [snapback]1286530[/snapback]</div>
    It's what we thought was a "gear" for SO long. It's part of a machinegun flash hider assembly if I'm correct.

44. Romans Empire

That is correct. :)