9 Pieces of 8 Pirates of the Caribbean

zakass98

9 Pieces of 8
After watching pirates of the Caribbean I decided to do a prop that has rarely if never been recreated by anyone.

The bowl that holds the 9 pieces ready to burn and release calypso is a church offering bowl in which I found a patterned one similar on etsy and added the nice red velvet material to the bottom to match the film.

1. Barbossa’s wooden eyeball I originally believed this was a glass eyeball until I did my research and found out it is in fact a hand painted ‘wooden’ eyeball in which Mr. Raggeti wears throughout the films. It wasn’t purchased anywhere so I can assume it was crafted by the costume/prop designers for the film. I found a German prop company that actually designs props and LARP wear for small companies or collectors. They have made a 1:1 scale replica using the same materials and dimensions. They have painted the pupil so it is not neat or accurate in any way which reflects how it looked on set.
  2. Ammands pewter goblet was given to him by two outcast nuns/Spanish sisters at a convent and they were banished because of Ammand and his alcohol. The goblet is designed for rum and was purchased from a high end pewter company in London for the film. The one I acquired is purchased from a similar company as I couldn’t identify the exact company. I bought it from Abbey pewter which specializes in church goblets as this would be appropriate for relevance to the convent sisters.
  3. Chevalles queen of spades card was always in his favorite decks as he was a compulsive gambler. The one from the film is a standard looking card but has been drawn on and aged dramatically. I bought a general card with a plain red background; washed it in tea to stain brown, smudged felt pen on for the drawn affect, burnt the edges and left in mucky water then hung outside to dry off for a couple of hours.
  4. Sao Fengs Jade necklace is a black chord necklace with green jade stone. When I researched this I found that feng is actually a type of Chinese necklace. So I ordered a batch from Hong Kong with green and black stones. I imagine the designers may have taken inspiration from the feng necklace to link with the characters name. In the film it was passed down to Sao from his father.
  5. Mistress Chings spectacles were her own in which she used before she became fully blind. They are round, metal framed, I could not find the specific frame colour but due to her wealth I decided to go for some gold plated framed antique spectacles that had the same shaping. In the centre they are tangled with a chain connected to a woven string design to hold them up which I added myself.
  6. Jack Sparrows Moroccan beads and coin luckily have been made into a perfect replica in every way by master replicas, they have stopped being reproduced however I picked one up from the Prop store of London. Jack acquired the Moroccan style beads from a French Lady of questionable reputation. On the other hand the coin was one of 2 in which were his first acts of piracy and they are Siam of origin and one paid for his beloved hat the other he joined to these beads.
  7. Gentleman Jocards cutters were used in his daily life as a slave on a plantation. His name is Gombo but he used these cutters to kill his master named Jocard so he took that name for his own. The farm was for tobacco so one can imagine the cutters were for this purpose. After taking some screen shots/stills of the cutters they appear to be like prongs or scissors without the finger holes. I found some very old tin cutters on ebay which had the same rusted effect and shape.
  8. Eduardos Broken bottle top is a general wine/rum bottle top with a cork in. He used the bottle to win and stay alive in a rough bar fight and due to this he kept the smashed top and tied it to some string as a lucky omen to wear. I got an aged bottle of wine with an old style green tint and basically smashed it the way you would in a fight. Leaving the cork in, I painted the string black and attached it like a necklace, I also smoldered the cork with a flame to age it.
  9. Sri Sumbhajees horn snuff box was taken from his temple in Bombay when he spent time as a Hindu priest before his days of piracy began. This is a Scottish style genuine calf horn taxidermy snuff box which was probably purchased from an antique dealer for the film. These are generally worth £200 plus so for this display purpose rather than spend ridiculous amounts I crafted it myself out of clay and paint.

I will post pictures of all once I'm done thanks!

sounds like you have done ample research. cant wait to see this display. I have been thinking of doing this as well and even last night just re-watched worlds end. thanks for the info and eager to see the end results

IMG_4897.JPGIMG_4893.JPGIMG_4861.PNGIMG_4857.JPGIMG_4854.JPGIMG_4851.JPGIMG_4849.JPGIMG_4900.JPGIMG_4899.JPGIMG_4895.JPG

Here is some of my progress the project is still in need of work and the rest of the pieces but made a start.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back