89 Sabers Graflex body compatibility question

DarthTrogdor

I have an 89Sabers Graflex hilt that came with the lower battery section pre-drilled for the D-ring kobold with sound venting.

It is drilled incorrectly and does not clock to the desired position.

Looking at lowers sold by the Graflex Shop, Roman Props, KR Sabers, but was wondering if anyone has tried them on an 89 Sabers upper?

Have you tried flipping the bottom tube horizontally and reversing the slot/tab configuration?
Yeah. It's just drilled wrong. Can't get it to line up with the clamp in either orientation, it's 1 grip/T-track off

It's supposed to be on a 3 o'clock/9 o'clock orientation, lined up with the clamp, with the D-ring on the 9 o'clock side. Closest I can get is 2 o'clock/8 o'clock.

Can you pivot on either of the d-ring rivets to move the d-ring slightly?

What I mean is, can you insert the bottom tube and align it correctly and then drill out the rivet closest to the edge, then can you move the d-ring using the remaining rivet as a pivot putting the d-ring in the correct position with kobold clip still covering the original outside hole and then drill a new hole for the new position?

Can you pivot on either of the d-ring rivets to move the d-ring slightly?

What I mean is, can you insert the bottom tube and align it correctly and then drill out the rivet closest to the edge, then can you move the d-ring using the remaining rivet as a pivot putting the d-ring in the correct position with kobold clip still covering the original outside hole and then drill a new hole for the new position?
If it was just drilled for the kobold, yeah..... But it's got pretty aggressive sound venting that is completely covered by the kobold. There's not enough metal left anywhere that I would need to tap new holes. Frustrating.

You could remove the d-ring clip and use an EP7 end cap cover like Roy sells to go over the entire bottom tube end and drill holes in the correct location to re-mount the kobold correctly, might be cheaper than buying a whole new bottom tube.

Actually I have that. It's very thin, and while it would cover the old holes, I'm concerned that the structural integrity of the bottom cap would be destroyed if I attempted to line up the kobold to be in the desired screen correct position.

I would have to post a pic for you to really get what I'm talking about regarding the level of sound venting that Vader's Vault added. it's impressive. Totally hidden by the kobold, but they pretty much cut out everything they could. Unfortunately, they just added to the location that was already on the hilt as originally provided by 89 Sabers, which is not screen accurate.

Thanks so much for the replies, btw.

I think I get it now, I figured it was like most end caps with sound holes around the outside but if a lot of material was hogged-out and hidden under the Kobold then there is no way to move the clip without seeing the sound vents.

To answer your original question I think the KR Sabers bottom would be a good match to the 89 Sabers clamp/top as the Roman has a different finish. Luckily with grips attached that change the light/shadow on the bottom tube it should blend in pretty well no matter what replacement bottom tube you go with.

I think I get it now, I figured it was like most end caps with sound holes around the outside but if a lot of material was hogged-out and hidden under the Kobold then there is no way to move the clip without seeing the sound vents.

To answer your original question I think the KR Sabers bottom would be a good match to the 89 Sabers clamp/top as the Roman has a different finish. Luckily with grips attached that change the light/shadow on the bottom tube it should blend in pretty well no matter what replacement bottom tube you go with.
Cool, thank you. Yeah I just got a reply from Khal at KR. He says years ago, his Graflex parts were interchangeable with 89 Sabers, but that he hasn't tested compatibility since. I think I'll give it a shot and I'll post results.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Cool, thank you. Yeah I just got a reply from Khal at KR. He says years ago, his Graflex parts were interchangeable with 89 Sabers, but that he hasn't tested compatibility since. I think I'll give it a shot and I'll post results.

Thank you again.
I had the same problem as you… I had gotten one 89 sabers graflex from korbanth with this issue. And then got another 89 sabers battery tube off of Ali express with the same issue. I think 89 sabers is no longer punching them with the correct orientation.

I ended up figuring out that I had to make the slot in the opposite direction with a Dremel cut off wheel.

I bought a kit from Wanna Wanga that had everything I needed to make it ESB accurate. Unfortunately I ended up with another Otis card replica with the kit. I had already bought another awesome one from slothfurnace

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Not sure about the one 89Sabers sells, but the replicas like KR's you can actually twist the stamped bottom. I did that wit mine after I'd riveted the Kobold in, to clock it correctly.

Not sure about the one 89Sabers sells, but the replicas like KR's you can actually twist the stamped bottom. I did that wit mine after I'd riveted the Kobold in, to clock it correctly.
Unfortunately it’s a solid battery tube that has sound holes punched. It is not in the correct orientation as shown in this pic. They changed something with their punching and tapping so it won’t orient correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

The full replica is what I used.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back