89 Keaton suit project - flappety stuff added!

Gatekeeper

Sr Member
So, I figured I'd start from the, well, bottom with my Keaton suit. Found the Nikes, got me a couple of bottles of leather dye and went to town:

2a5abyg.jpg

A generic pair of Air Trainer III. Not the best color for the project, but at least most part of the soles are black, which makes things easier.

23rls11.jpg

Testing the dye... I learned that two bottles were needed - one for the plain leather, one for the nubuck trim. If only "regular" dye is used on nubuck, the result will be purpleish and splotchy - much like trying to paint the shoe with a Sharpie.

After dyeing the leather, it was time to move over to the nubuck. As it is a lot more porous compared to regular leather, nubuck needs a lot more dye to turn black.

2m6762s.jpg

Just the plastic parts left to paint...

zyemtz.jpg

I thought about different ways to tackle the boot tops. Making my own, cutting up existing boots... finally decided to try equestrian short caps/gaiters. They're available in leather and synthetic, and are quite inexpensive. I went for a pair in stretchy faux leather. Figured it won't matter if I mess them up with superglue, velcro or whatever I choośe to attach the armor with.

10ftfu8.jpg

A quick test fit. Really comfortable - will see what they look like with armor attached.

Last edited:
Re: 89 Keaton suit project - boot beginnings

Nice start so far. I will enjoy seeing this progress. My 89 boots are one of my favorite pieces on my suit.

Thanks! Yes, I'm kinda partial to the boots as well... they are by far the most comfy costume footwear I've worn...

Painted, or rather dyed the soles... seems to hold the dye so far.

2po2vbs.jpg

Hey man, those look very cool! I was thinking about making me a pair of those 89 boots too. Id do it for comfort over accuracy cause im not found of the boots i have now..lol..but if you dont mind me asking, where did you get the short chaps/gaiters and what kind of price am i looking at? you can send a pm if you want.
Thanks!
Brad

Got mine off eBay. Search for gaiters and short chaps in Equestrian. They range from $10 to $40 (ballpark), a little more of you want real leather. Hard part is to find a pair without text, logos and weird stitchings.

Last edited:
A package with a very interesting smell arrived the other day... naturally, I had to try it all on and goof around:

23jj2bn.jpg

Ah - the smell of latex...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back