89 Batman Costume?

sirbrad

Sr Member
Accidently made this in the prop forum so putting it here. Anyone make these or know where I can get one? I saw some on eBay with a rigid cape, but the costume was not for sale. So I might have to use some Dark Knight armor and maybe use a Batman 89 mask and belt. But was just trying to see what is out there before trying to put one together or build one myself. I am currently searching all the forums also and have found some options, but if you know any please let me know.

Try this website, he does some good rubber armour.
Reevz666
Also, there are some really good makers on this site who have done 89 Bats, try Finhead. Good luck!

Thanks I also seen Jester FX on eBay and they look great and affordable. I also saw some decent looking Dark Knight which I believe look to be mass produced, the armor is kinda cool but the rest kinda cheap. I thought about buying one to modify and make better. But you never know how they actually look in person as with most mass produced costumes. But for now I want a pretty accurate 89 suit first and I might add one of those capes that you can expand with dowel rods to look cool for events and on a life-sized. So I may do some custom versions as well.

Have you tried Brotherhood Of The Bat? That is the place where I found alot of my 89 stuff. It took me about 4 years to put this together. It was a fun and rewarding time!

Last edited:
Wow, that is awesome man! Yeah seen the site but got broekn links there. I did not register yet. What pieces are they? So far I thikn Jester has most of what I need but still am looking around as well. Will check the site out more thanks.

Thanks!

The cape is a Artsee1 latex cape,
Latex shinguards are also made by Artsee1,
Gloves are the JV returns gloves (I added the metal armguards)
Undersuit is a spandex (color Black Leather) form spandexman
Body armor is a urethane made by Janty (based on a Bob Dullam sculpt)
Urethane drftfan 89 Cowl (I believe it is based on a PJ Warez sculpt)
I have bought the belt about six years ago on Ebay and unfortunatly I have no clue who made it.
And Nikes made by Nike :)

The BOTB is a great place to read and learn about the Batsuit and other Bat related stuff.

Reevz666 does great work. I have had one of his 89 cowls and it was a beauty.

here is an 89 and returns batman costume i made

IMAG0017.jpg

404818_255433701192050_100001762666026_659557_101692540_n.jpg

Awesome thanks! I am finding a lot more options as well and still like Jesters a lot. I was wondering if I should use spandex or a rubber latex pants? But I noticed with most of the armor you can't really much undersuit anyway. So really would be no sense wearing anything too hot or rubber looking if standing a lot. Also was thinking about using velcro instead of glue so I could take the parts off easier to wash the undersuit if needed, and have a separate life-sized suit. Does hot glue work well? I usually use latex or hot glue for all my costumes. But I would not mind using a glue that would come off if needed.

I have had a latex body armor glued on a wetsuit. It was very hot and I lost a lot of movebility.
I now have a spandex undersuit and I have made an fabric armor with elsatic straps and velcor to glue the urethane armor on.
I first had elastic bands and velcro directly glued on to the urathane armor, but it got a bit flimsy and not the strong armor I hade in mind. That is why I made a foam and fabric based (under)armor.
This way it is a strong armor, with alot of flexibility and movebility. I can always change/clean the undersuit.

49109938.jpg

Last edited:
Cool looks great! Were they hard to make or a lot of sewing? I see holes in the armor, how do they attach with rope or snaps? Maybe I could use some line 24 snaps or something and some material like the ones you used, and trace the armor out on them. I can sew but prefer not to, but I have a lot of glue types including fabric glue.

Last edited:
Thanks!

It was not so hard. I am not an expert with the sewingmachine :)

What I used was fabric with a very thin foam(looks abit like wool) already attacht to it. Then I made a a drawing of the contour on the fabric. Cut two peices of fabric for each urethane piece. Then put the two pieces of fabric with the foam on the outside on top of each other and sew them around the edges. You have to leave one side open to turn the whole thing inside out.
Then sew around the edges again to make the whole thing firm and tight. Afther this I could sew on the elastic bands with the velcro on.

The holes are not necessary. These come from when I glued the elastic straight on to the urethane. I made the holes to give it extra strength by sewing the glued elastic to the armor. Now they add nothing to the construction.

The whole urethane armor is glued on to the fabric with superglue. Make sure the fabric armor is smaller then the latex/urethane armor.

You can probably glue everything instead of sewing. I prefer the sewing because it gives a nice clean result with I can easily correct. Again this was very basic sewing nothing fancy :)

Last edited:
Wow looks great man! Did you use a sewing a machine or hand sew it? I don't have a machine yet but may get one. But I have sewn a lot by hand just takes forever. I would like to at least put some fabric like that on the back of the armor and then glue or velcro with that. I saw that type of fabric at walmart I think, kinda thick wool with those same shapes. Also was wdonering what size waist you are and what size pants you got from Spandexman? I take 36 usually, but would want a wais that is elastic or has some stretch in it just in case. SM said 2XL but just checking. I also might get the top as well but not sure how much you could see with a cape, seems like you can only see the sides barely. But I would still need a full shirt to mount armor on. I also will be doing a life-sized with the Keaton face by Xtcofpain. Should be fun! I want to someday make the closet with a light and maybe a huge styrofoam door lol.

Yep, it is all done by machine. By hand takes way to long for me :)
I dont have the patience for it.

I have no idea what size it is. I am sorry. I am quite slim. It is quite strethgy material. When I first got it I thought it would be way to small. The sleeves are a bit to short, but the gloves cover that anyway.

I would go for the shirt aswell. Just to make it a good unity (hope you know what I mean)

Cool, he makes an awsome keaton face!

I really want to make the closet/vault aswell. At the moment I am looking for a new house with more space. If I get the extra space I will def start working on a vault. Now the suit is just standing in my living room. I hope to see how it works out for you!

Cool thanks for the info! Yeah I want a matching top and pants. Who does 89 gauntlets, or would I just buy some leather gauntlets on eBay and add some accurate plates and fins?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back