80's movies would have more longevity...if they could change the music!

The Dude

Sr Member
I have some favorite 80's flicks.

Good story lines and acting that seem to stand the test of time.

However...the music montages used during these movies to evoke emotion or what not (dramatic scenes, etc) make me cringe now.

Post a video link of your most cringe worthy 80's flick moment based on the music played at the time of the scene.

Here is my contribution....

Karate Kid Montage - You're the Best - YouTube

You're the best, Danny!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I believe the opposite. Some movies nowadays would feel more special if only they had some 80s style music. Specially zombie and low budget sci-fi movies. Music tends to be too subtle/random nowadays. Cheesy electronic music can actually enhance a low budget movie by making it look like it was intended to look like that.

Look at Nightmare on Elm Street, for example. The original had that stupid electronic music, but you hear it and think, OMG, Freddy is coming! It had that creepy 80s feeling. The remake had a better quality and orchestal music... which doesn't really sets the mood for the movie, it just fills the silence.

I disagree. The score for the following movies still stand the test of time:

1. Miracle Mile (by Tangerine Dream)
2. Blade Runner (by Vangilis)
3. Near Dark (by Tangerine Dream)
4. The Terminator (by Brad Fiedel)
5. Practically every score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth for Carpenter's film (with the exception of The Thing, which was composed by Ennio Morricone (with Carpenter doing a few bits uncredited).

If you want a good example of the 80's rock music making a movie better, watch the two versions of Legend. With the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, it's something really special and fun to watch. With the classical score, it becomes just another fantasy movie which is blah, in my opinion.

I dig the old music. It's a snapshot of what they thought was cool then, so it fits just fine. Sure, it might be dated but that's part of the charm.

Nothing music wise should be changed, it's what make them special and stand out from the crap movies today who seem to just be giant music videos for bands with no lasting power or talent.

I totally agree that Bladerunner and Terminator would lose something if the music was changed. To me, Terminator is one of those films where the music really captures the mood.
Maybe there's a hint of nostalgia talking there, but I also think the music from Karate Kid is fine the way it is.

Yopu don't get this sort of "Let's update it, modernise it, re-do it" craze with books. I mean, no-one says "Hey, let's re-write the Bond novels and update them" right?

If I remember correctly, an idea I had didn't go over well. I think instead of remaking some of the better "older" versions of classic movies, they would almost be better off pulling a Lucas and just redoing the special effects digitally. I like Highlander, but some of the effects could be redone. Could you imagine the final shot when he finally wins the "Prize", what they could do with the effects now.

Somehow the thought of adding 80's music to anything gives me the willies.

80's music sucked. Unless you went to high school in the 80's. It still sucked but you didn't notice.

80's music sucked. Unless you went to high school in the 80's. It still sucked but you didn't notice.

Let me guess: You're about 20!

80's music is the best. And yes: That was my school time. :p

I disagree. The score for the following movies still stand the test of time:

1. Miracle Mile (by Tangerine Dream)
2. Blade Runner (by Vangilis)
3. Near Dark (by Tangerine Dream)
4. The Terminator (by Brad Fiedel)
5. Practically every score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth for Carpenter's film (with the exception of The Thing, which was composed by Ennio Morricone (with Carpenter doing a few bits uncredited).

The original Terminator music is in my mind EXACTLY the kind of thing this tread is about. That wanky synth music...it's awful. But I don't think anything should be changed. Let history stand.

I'm not trying to be a dick (I seem to have to say that every time I post here), but Shen - I hope you NEVER complain about remakes - 'cause you are WHY they exist. Studios remake these films to exploit a brand - but also to eliminate real or imagined "hokiness" some people get from dated music, performances, and effects.

Highlander could be better with new effects? Enjoy the remake!

And it CERTAINLY would be better without all that cheesy '80s music. Instead of all that, let's get Gaga - she's today's Freddie Mercury-style flamboyant performer - she could do COVERS of all of those Queen songs! She could add REAL emotion to something like "Who Wants to Live Forever!"

And if you think music was bad in the '80s, you weren't listening to the right music. There's a reason all of the bands today are trying to emulate that sound - they've got nothing going on NOW. People up on their hind-legs over the soundtrack for Refn's Drive - it's ALL '80s STYLE - and it's being used in the film THE EXACT SAME WAY MOVIES IN THE '80s used it - it's played over Miami Vice-style DRIVING MONTAGES.

And Drive would be a standard-issue revenger if not for that feel.

Film lives in the time in which it was made. Removing it from that time is murdering it.

Oh come on now! I was born in the early 80's, and I still love GOOD 80's music! Siouxsie and the Banshees, Blondie, Adam Ant, New Order, Talking Heads, Robert Palmer, David Bowie...I could go on :$

And I agree with the Legend statement!

I could have done without the cheese ball song from Monster Squad...but that kind of made it funnier :lol!

Oooookayy....

Yeah...yeah..there was some 80's movies that had great music. I totally agree with some of the examples given. Got that.

So I guess no one has another example of a movie that had music in it that seemed corny or made you wince?

You know...the original intention of thread. ;)

Come on....not even a Sly Stone movies comes to mind for anyone?

MicDavis is the only one that came close to understanding what I meant...but then again he is an old guy like me. :)

Oooookayy....

Yeah...yeah..there was some 80's movies that had great music. I totally agree with some of the examples given. Got that.

So I guess no one has another example of a movie that had music in it that seemed corny or made you wince?

You know...the original intention of thread. ;)

MicDavis is the only one that came close to understanding what I meant...but then again he is an old guy like me. :)

To be honest, the last movie that I can think of where the music made me cringe was There will be Blood. It was like they took all these great pieces of music and hit RANDOM instead of putting them in where they would enhance the emotional impact of the scene they're playing over.

Oooookayy....

The soundtrack for Cobra is HORRIBLE!! Second rate pop rock crapola. I listened to it...once.

Studio execs wanted Star Wars to have a disco soundtrack. Think about that.

The music is a part of a movie just as much as the costumes or dialog. Changing it changes the feel of the movie. But if you want timeless, go orchestral.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back