80s memories

I had a subscription from 92- til near the end...'97-98 maybe, I'm not sure. I had grown out of most of what Nintendo had to offer and was fully into Playstation by then. They were in a box in the garage near the door until some storms and "minor" flooding caused them to save everything else in the the garage. A few other boxes were damaged but since my subscriptions were the main ones, and with "extra absorbtion material", they took the brunt of it.

That's what happened to me, i gave up on nintendo once the playstation hit and didn't get back into it until the wii. I'm going to back and backboard the ones i have, i somehow got 2 issues of the final one so i opened one and not the other. I've been searching online for sites with vintage passwords for games and cheats. Back before game making got so serious and they put cheats in for fun.

I remember that Iron Giant figure...wish I would have bought it back then because now it goes for crazy money.

I too remember trying to take photos of high scores of video games, mostly trying to send the photos in to some magazine to get a patch of some sort. But none of the photos turned out. :(

Yeah there was always the glare issue off the old tube tvs. It sounds like you were trying for the old atari era patches or the nintendo power contest for SMB the lost levels, i actually won that patch back in the 90s. Sadly I lost it someplace over time.

I'm currently kicking myself for getting rid of my issues of nintendo power now that they're so pricey on ebay that i can't afford to buy them lol. My buddy got me a copy of mad magazine from 1982 that has arcade game spoofs in it and it was only .90, I'd forgotten that back then comic books were only a quarter.

Interesting. I think I've got the complete run somewhere.

An 80s memory: snow on christmas eve lol. It's nearly 60 out today. I remember there being at least a foot of snow on the ground by christmas eve when i was younger if not more. Now we just get blizzards out of nowhere in Jan and Feb that messes things up. Having being christmas eve get togethers where there were always at least 7 of us. Now we're down to 3. Turns out our christmas eve tradition is from my great grandparents and their parents being farmers, they'd do everything xmas eve since they had to be up to do chores all day the next day. We didn't open all our gifts then, my folks and i would take some over with us and open the rest the next day. My friends think it's an odd tradition.
Also there being tons of christmas lights on, the last 10 years it seems to be less and less folks decorating outside or at least having them on. We noticed last year more Christmas eve parties when we were out driving around so we might just be missing them being lit up.

Oh yea, that snow is really missed. I grew up in the midwest so there was "always snow" and frigid temps. I've been stationed in Oklahoma so long that I forgot what a "White Christmas" was for the most part lol. I've been home for a few Christmases since but not for about 5-6 years now....and we did get a few inches of snow on Christmas back in '12 I think...but it was all gone a couple days later lol.

We would do a similar thing. I came from a large family and we would celebrate Christmas Eve on my Mom's side. A large gathering of 20-50+ aunts/uncles, grandkids, and these days, great and great-great grandchildren. When I was younger, all the grandkids would draw a name at Thanksgiving and get that cousin a gift. I'm not sure when the tradition stopped but now there are so many, it's really just my mom and her siblings that do it. Grandma gives gifts out to everyone 12 and below still I think but even that number is still pretty big.

Christmas Day would be spent with my Stepdad's family at his parents house. A much smaller celebration lol, only 16 people haha.

When we do go home for Christmas, we would still do the Christmas Eve thing with my Mom's family but now Christmas Day is spent at my parents' house with my brother, sisters and our families.

I have noticed less people decorating their homes over the years as well. Last year, almost our entire road was decorated and this year, barely a handful.

Ahhhhh... Snow for Christmas. Not much of that here in Florida :lol
It seems like it snows less and less for my parents in Ohio these days. I never seem to get to see any when I do manage to make it up for the holidays.

As for traditions....We would spend Christmas Eve with my father's side and then head to Newcastle PA for Christmas Day. I miss those days so much.

I was going to say you should remember the same stuff as me considering we're only a few years apart and you're from this area lol. It barely snows anymore for the holidays. I'm wondering why folks aren't decorating as much though, maybe they're afraid of lawsuit happy anti christmas neighbors lol

BTW: does anyone remember a toy/ gadget from the 80s that was a baton with LED lights in it? You would program a message in it, wave it and it would "display" the sign/message" in the air? I seem to remember this from the very late 70's early 80's, but cannot remember the name or if I'm just remembering it wrong.

I think that one was before my time or at least when I was old enough to remember. Honestly if it wasn't a commercial or something a friend owned i rarely saw it. Our school wasn't big on kids bringing stuff with them even for show and tell in kindergarten. I miss the 80s toys, sure they weren't well made or even well thought out but they were tons more fun than now and there was a huge variety of franchises. Now you only have like 5 franchises really.

BTW: does anyone remember a toy/ gadget from the 80s that was a baton with LED lights in it? You would program a message in it, wave it and it would "display" the sign/message" in the air? I seem to remember this from the very late 70's early 80's, but cannot remember the name or if I'm just remembering it wrong.

I had one. It looked like a metal detector wand with a yellow key pad on the back of it. I would program it to say swear words. My sister ratted me out and waved it to my mom. Hahaha. I think Radio Shack sold it. Im thinking 1979-81 as well.

Oh my lord, I just tried to Google 'Toy message wand' and then hit images. Talk about a google fail......or not.

Found it, but time has not been good for our heroes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742rwnKJaqE

Last edited:
That company had a link to a video about Fiddlestix, i never knew what they were called when i was little. It was an all wood building set made of of colored dowel rods and round spoke housings.

While waiting for everyone to get up today i was reading the book i got on the history of Transformers box art and I could actually remember how many of them I got for christmas and how many were before the late 80s when my great grandma went into the home.

Yeah that's it, sorry i didn't check sooner. It's a good book but try and find a deal on it. I got mine for like 15.00 thanks to some damage on the spine. What struck me is they never drew the toys to be anything except what they were so yo basically got really detailed technical drawings. I guess it's still that way now even though they're all based on the cartoon art.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back