80s memories

They're also way too PC these days. Those old Calgon commercials with "ancient Chinese secret" would have people crapping themselves these days. Then again there are episodes of Sanford and Son and even the Jeffersons that would never make it on tv today with all the spineless jellyfish in this world.

I guess I look at the 80s like my parents looked at the 50s/60s with rose colored glasses, when we were children without any care or responsibility and the world was made of pure magic and anything was possible. We could be anything, the possibilities were endless.

Then we got older and life chewed us up, some of us more than others. Utopia is being a kid.

Anyone remember this?

It was the first recorded version of any Star Wars movie I had. But our VCR didn't start recording until the end of the 3rd paragraph of the crawl, so I had never seen this before until I started looking around on youtube at all these 80's Christmas memories. I watched that tape so much that to this day I can remember most of the commercials that aired and I still have it somewhere around the house...yes, I've held onto it that long lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember being able to leave your game console on for hours or days before save features existed and it never hurt anything? I remember leaving my NES on forever and it never had an issue yet you leave the new ones on for 5 hours they start to give off enough heat to bake a chicken. There will be functioning segas and Nintendos when the disc systems are all dead and buried.

https://youtu.be/zHzVjP9sH50

Anyone remember this?

It was the first recorded version of any Star Wars movie I had. But our VCR didn't start recording until the end of the 3rd paragraph of the crawl, so I had never seen this before until I started looking around on youtube at all these 80's Christmas memories. I watched that tape so much that to this day I can remember most of the commercials that aired and I still have it somewhere around the house...yes, I've held onto it that long lol.

I remember when the Star Wars movies would be on that "sunday night at the movies" thing on any of the major three channels back in the day. Without HBO and movies taking a year or two to hit VHS and that costing $100, seeing it on TV was about the only way to go. I remember being so excited and giddy to see it and making SURE to be seated right in front of the TV when it started. When we did get any of the movies on tape, I literally wore a hole in them. Those sunday night movies were always a great way to cap off the weekend.

Sundaynight at the movies was always big thing for us even after we got a VCR. We had a thing on weekdays after the soaps went off the air on wkbn in Youngstown called the Money movie where they'd show cheap to show older movies or tv shows like original Trek and during the breaks the host (who was also their weather man) would draw numbers in a lotto and you could win cash. One week they showed all the planet of the apes movies on there.

I remember when the Star Wars movies would be on that "sunday night at the movies" thing on any of the major three channels back in the day. Without HBO and movies taking a year or two to hit VHS and that costing $100, seeing it on TV was about the only way to go. I remember being so excited and giddy to see it and making SURE to be seated right in front of the TV when it started. When we did get any of the movies on tape, I literally wore a hole in them. Those sunday night movies were always a great way to cap off the weekend.

I didn't even have all the movies on VHS. We had ROTJ taped off HBO. That was it. I have no idea why my mom and dad never taped the other two for me. Other than when the movies were at the theater, I mainly just had the record storybooks and soundtrack records.

I didn't even have all the movies on VHS. We had ROTJ taped off HBO. That was it. I have no idea why my mom and dad never taped the other two for me. Other than when the movies were at the theater, I mainly just had the record storybooks and soundtrack records.

Same here. We had ESB and the HORRIBLY edited-for-time ROTJ that was shown during the following Easter season(yeap, I remember a lot about that one too). A friend of mine had the ANH taped off CBS and ROTJ, so if we did sleep overs and watched(tried) them all, the other person would only bring the one copy the other didn't have.

Come to think of it I don't think I had the trilogy on vhs until the 1990s when the special editions came out. I'd either go rent them or wait for them to be on tv at christmas. I remember USA used to show them on christmas day back to back in the early 90s.

I remember the very first time ANH came on network tv. I was 17 and had an apartment with a buddy of mine. We wanted to be properly tore up when it came on, so we started partying several hours before it started at 7pm. We got so drunk and baked that we both woke up the next morning and couldn't remember if we even watched it or not! :lol

Turns out we took my 35mm camera and wasted about 10 rolls of film just taking still shots of the television screen...All of which looked like absolute crap!:wacko

Ah, youth was fun!!

Side note but anyone else remember having to take photos of the end of a video game to prove to your friends you beat it? That or hooking the vcr up to it and recording it. Wish i'd kept those photos lol

My friend recorded him and his brother's runthrough of Contra. We watched it a lot lol...that was when I learned about "the code" as well. There were a few other games he tried recording but couldn't finish. I remember people taking pictures of high scores and end game stuff for Nintendo Power issues though.

My friend recorded him and his brother's runthrough of Contra. We watched it a lot lol...that was when I learned about "the code" as well. There were a few other games he tried recording but couldn't finish. I remember people taking pictures of high scores and end game stuff for Nintendo Power issues though.

I'm currently kicking myself for getting rid of my issues of nintendo power now that they're so pricey on ebay that i can't afford to buy them lol. My buddy got me a copy of mad magazine from 1982 that has arcade game spoofs in it and it was only .90, I'd forgotten that back then comic books were only a quarter.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back