80s memories

My Mum gave me a copy of the Joy of Sex when I was about 10. I knew way too much about female reproduction than I needed to.

The 80s for me is blue jeans, velcro sneakers and racing to the News Agent to get the only copy of 2000AD that the mongrel would order in.

Watching Thunderbirds every morning and M*A*S*H every afternoon. Oh Gods! Hiding behind the couch watching Tom Baker's Dr Who.

Schools still using film projectors and films from the 60s and 70s well into the 1990s. Our school didn't finally phase them out until the mid 90s when the film just wore out and they put the stuff on vhs but the videos were at least 20 years old when we watched them including our sex ed vids and science vids. My one teacher was a bit ahead of the curve as he had cable so he'd record the discovery channel: when it actually had educational stuff on it lol. I remember the teachers having to tape the film back together in the middle of classes a few times. Come to think of it even in my senior year the history books were 20 years out of date, then again stuff changed so fast in the 90s that the companies couldn't keep up even if schools could afford it.

OMG......I completely forgot about MASH, Thunderbirds and 2000AD!!!

People loved DC and Marvel....but 2000AD was KING to me...and of course Judge Dredd;)...Strontium Dogs...ABC Warriors...

I went to the newsagent every week and got the new issue....it was popular in NZ, so we never missed and issue.

Isn't it weird....I never like Dr. Who or Star Trek...but Star Wars and Judge Dredd...that really defined my prop building endeavors.

I remember going to the Walden Books in the mall and them having 5 rotating racks of comic books and then it went down to one after Borders bought them. Oddly enough our local comic shop didn't carry anything Dredd until 1995 or so when the movie came out and they started being imported.

Oh, what an amazing thread! Memories!
As far as video games went for me (we had an ATARI 6400 with tons of games), it was what you did when it rained or were grounded. Otherwise we lived outside. I always had Star Wars, it was (& still is) my favorite. But there was also Hot Wheels, a very precious few Transformers but mainly GoBots (for those across the pond, GoBots were what us poor kids had instead of Transformers), MASK, & skates. & the skates weren't In Line skates. One of my favorite skates had steel wheels (no rubber on them AT ALL) & you strapped them to your shoes. Oh the power slides were epic!
My friends & I built forts & wepons, dug tunnels, rode our bikes from sun up till WAY past sun down, & would run from the "mean dogs" & bully's of the neighborhood. Seat belts were what you tucked back into the seat crevices when they would stick up & poke you. & when you got to ride in the back of the truck, you'd stand up so you could look out over the cab & feel the wind in your face.

What? My video games were always the first shot fired when I got grounded! :lol The other day I was over helping my dad put away some of the outdoor furniture and things and my 12yo. nephew is running around with his airsoft M4. He said "I wonder what the neighbors think when they see him with those guns?" If anyone has a problem it's theirs because that is normal. He said "Yeah, but it's 2015..." As we said earlier in this we all played around with realistic toy guns, without orange tips, and most of us came out fine!

I had an M16 that used a 9volt as a clip to make semi and fully auto sounds, a pop gun rifle, numerous cap guns, including two prized possession ones carefully carried back from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at DisneyWorld. None of them had orange tips. We played army every afternoon possible...dug a foxhole, built a tree tower and constantly screamed "bang...you're dead!" Forcing our "opponents" to do the walk of shame back to base where they started again. It was non threatening, it was fun, and I dare say we all grew up normally...a tribute to our parents who helped us keep a good path with plenty of fantasy, even if some of it bordered on the morbid. Such a notion did not enter our minds. On rainy days, mastering the extra buttons on the newer coleco vision controllers my neighbor/bff got ...in order to choose which pitch to throw, took a few days. Oh how I long for a simpler time for my own children, and strive at every chance to give them it!

All our memories are proving that this country's gone to hell in the last 40 years. I was thinking to school and i forgot overhead projectors with those plastic transparencies, i don't even know what they use now. Guess teachers have to know powerpoint or some crap lol

Yep, so many realistic looking toy guns with removable magazines, and some that were outlandish they broke down into individual guns let along their single large "hulking" counterpart :lol. If you only had a bb gun, you were allowed to play as long as you didn't shoot anyone with bbs. No one cared about 10-15 kids running around the neighborhood "playing army" and saving the world from the Russians(cause somehow we couldn't quite differentiate Soviets from Russians lol)/Iraqis/CA Contras, singly or their "mega EVIL conglomerate alliance" or helping the JOES fight COBRA.

Wes R:
It's called an interactive whiteboard http://www.neamb.com/professional-resources/benefits-of-interactive-whiteboards.htm
18s3pr8bzvz5yjpg.jpg schools-articleLarge.jpg

I just came across this interesting read : http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34799193 . . . and I for one instructed my parents not to sell anything from my remaining early toy and SW collection at home, without my written consent in 3 fold :) ... I just wonder how many of you did sell your SW collection and now still suffer from sellers remorse?

Chaim

Last edited:
Mine got tore apart along with my gi joes and transformers to see how they worked. I think i tore apart a small fortune. I miss whacky wall crawlers and the cheap toys you'd get in cereals. Anyone remember the Nintendo cereals from the late 80s? I really want a box for on my display shelf but they're worth a fortune as nobody kept them and nobody's done a really good scan of all 4 sides. Remember those sticker albums you could get for movies? I had the one for Transformers the movie almost halfway done and after i gave it away sticker packs are showing up on ebay.

That ******* Dragon's Lair game I played once and still remember it being a rip off:lol....Spirograph.....AWESOME;)......my brothers stick mags and all the Star Wars toys...ah the 80's...what a great time to grow up!....loved it!

Was never a fan of Dragon's Lair, but there was another laser disc game called Super Don Quixote that I was an expert at, I'd pay once and play all day, I could loop the machine a couple of times until I got tired of it.

Remember those sticker albums you could get for movies? I had the one for Transformers the movie almost halfway done and after i gave it away sticker packs are showing up on ebay.

Are those the PANINI sticker albums? I had a Star Wars and... wait for it......... a Care Bears sticker album! Hahaha! Hey, I was a little kid and Care Bears were popular back then. I think I did have a Transformers sticker album too. I still have a whole lot of the doubles from the Star Wars sticker album, but no album. :(

Yeah I think that was it. I only remember having the Transformers one and one for a Turtles movie. It seemed like every movie got one of those books and the stickers were only .25 a pack. Now that it's getting close to the holidays i'm getting all gloomy thanks to memories of 80s holidays where we still had a full house on christmas eve. That's something that seems to be in style again: christmas eve parties, but it's probably easier that way so you can spend time with both families.
We do a drive around dad's home town like we have for the last 37 years even though fewer lights are on xmas eve as everyone is at other places. We always did xmas eve at my great grandparents or grandparents and then just my folks and i the next day. Turns out it's a farm tradition as they'd do it on xmas eve since everyone was up doing chores the next morning until lunch time. Just stuck with us all this time.
Anyone remember having tons of snow back in the 80s? I remember being in kindergarten and it being knee high from november until spring and even in the 90s we had to shovel grandma's driveway to get all the cars in without it sticking on christmas eve. Last year here in PA it was about 30 degrees with barely any snow. My folks remember the 60s and 70s where feet of snow wasn't unusual. Now it just gets so cold it won't snow half the time.
Remember when xmas gifts were cheaper? Used to be when i'd get up in the mornings there'd be tons of stuff under the tree, now you can barely get half that even for the same kinds of toys.

does anyone remember the golden books rudolph book? you used to be able to put your own name in it so it would be like your own adventure. as well as the golden books inspector gadget series. that always stands out because of the weird looking art. oh and Shrinki dinks ;o).

then there was light bright, battle ship, coleco pacman cabinets(possibly being re released). Atari 2600 (mine still works!) Apple 2C Plus (Number Munchers!) and lets not forget a late arrival to the 80s (early 90s?) Prodigy Internet ;o).

then there was also my trip to Camp Bernie and Frost Valley. I wonder if those cabins are still there?

so yeah, I remember the 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and anyone remember the best toy ever, the Orbi? sadly, this had one flaw. they usually wound up on orbi eating roofs or tree limbs.

Those make me wonder what the heck happened in the advertising business in the last 40 years, they're not memorable like they used to be up until the late 90s.

Those make me wonder what the heck happened in the advertising business in the last 40 years, they're not memorable like they used to be up until the late 90s.

all advertising is like that. radio commercials used to be really funny. now they are just dark and depressing PSA ads.. ugh.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back