7th Doctor Sweater Vest Pattern?

Phayze

What with the new series coming to Sci-fi here in the states, the wife and I have been getting back into Dr. Who in a big way. Sylvester McCoy was always a favorite of mine, so I thought I'd revist my half-finished 7th Doctor costume (originally thrown together out of thrift store finds with red fabric paint for question marks on the vest).

Google isn't giving me much to go on, so I thought I'd turn to the Ultimate Source of All Knowledge (aka: the RPF) to see if anyone had any leads on where to find a cheap/free knitting or crochet pattern for the infamous question mark vest:

7thDoc.jpg

(not my image - found it on Google Image Search and claim no ownership for it)

Anybody?

I remember way (way way way) back when I went to a Doctor Who convention in Dallas, TX and bought that sweater. I believe it was a license item too. Unfortunately, it was cheaply made and closet moths made a good meal of it. :(

Originally posted by Starkiller@Apr 2 2006, 11:35 PM
I remember way (way way way) back when I went to a Doctor Who convention in Dallas, TX and bought that sweater.  I believe it was a license item too.  Unfortunately, it was cheaply made and closet moths made a good meal of it.  :(
[snapback]1218728[/snapback]​

Yeah, I remember seeing it in the 800-trekker catalogue in the late nineties, but it was outrageously expensive and I wasn't about to buy it without looking it over and trying it on. I've always been too poor to take chances with things like that. ;)

By way of update, though, a fellow at the yahoo group Penwiper (not guri, duh . . . ) links to said that he's likely to get a copy of the pattern from a friend of his sometime this summer and would be willing to share when he gets it. :D

Edited for being a doof.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PropReplicator @ Apr 3 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]1218939[/snapback]</div>
I've got one of those licensed sweaters. They're spot-on and comfy, to boot. I got mine off of E-bay for less than $30. :)

W.
[/b]

Any chance we could see a pic of it? I remember seeing them in the catalogs, but don't ask me where one of them are off hand (I know I have them somewhere).

Here's a picture of the Dapol McCoy sweater produced in the 1990s

http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/0007px6e

It's good but not exactly accurate. The base color is more of a brown/yellow than the pale yellow it is on screen. The question marks and rows are longer so there's only six rows of quesition marks instead of 8, there's no front pockets, no question marks at all on the back, and the bottom trim is the same base brown/yellow - not a matching turquoise like the Neck or armholes.

http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/0008t64b
(McCoy wearing the original)

However it's a liscenced item and the best option for anyone looking for a McCoy sweater and keeping it cheap. They aren't made anymore but seems to crop up on ebay once every month or so and the usually go for $25-$35- but I've seen them climb as high as $60.

However we're preparing to finally make a more accurate 7th doctor sweater run finally happen in the $65 range. I'll post on that thread once I have a final hard price from the knitters which should be sometime next week.

If you're looking to having one made yourself- here's the pattern we're using for the question mark base:
http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/0008xtzc

Very handy too have since the Dr. Who pattern book oddly never published a pattern for this sweater

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back