'77 Trans Am research from Smokey and the Bandit?

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I realise this is a bit unusual for the RPF, but it IS technically a prop so I thought it'd be ok to ask here. (Mods feel free to move this to Off Topic if you think it belongs there instead.)

One of my other hobbies besides replica props is Pontiac Firebirds, old and new. I used to have a '77 SE, almost screen-accurate to the car in the movie. But I'd like to know all I can about the actual cars used during filming and I just KNOW that the old geezers around here (anyone over 30 like me) that grew up with the film are sitting on some golden nuggets of info. The net seems dead when it comes to info about that film.

I know that for the first film, they used cars from 1976 and kitted them out with new noses and t-tops and I've also heard that at least one was a manual shift.

Any info, tips or links would be appreciated.

/Joe F

(Oh and incidentally, right now I'm driving a standard '73 ) :p

Nobody wore seat belts inthe movie... thats just sick man.

Seriously though, I seen a Trans Am website not long ago... just google it, I think I found it there.

I too wanted a screen accurate '77 T/A SE, but found them waaay out of my price range now. I've done a lot of research into finding one, and have found several but everyone thinks they are sitting on a gold mine. Most will have rust in the back tray or along the windshield. This is expected as the Hurst tops leak if not very well taken care of...that's a fact. :( Also, there will usually be some rust in the rear quarter panels or back frame rails. I have ran across a few for the $10,000 mark that were mismatched Franken-cars and have found them restored in the $25,000 category. (maybe they ARE a gold mine.) My option would be to replicate one from a black '77 with tops and black vinyl interior. Add the wheels and striping, Gold dash and steering wheel and you have one that will fool most people.

If you are interested in some of the best restorations from a guy who really knows his T/As, Check out this site: http://www.restoreamusclecar.com/index.sp . Prepare for sticker shock though.

PJ

This months issue of "High Performance PONTIAC" magazine has a big article on Burt's personal TA they gave him for "selling so many" during the '70's. There's some good info in there on the movie cars, too.

Hey, I used to have several T/A's.. I had a 78 bandit and a 79 t/a all in their bandit glory. Not to mention a 91, and a 99 t/a. Yep that is exactly what they did with the 76 t/a for Smokey and the bandit.

Argh.. I can't get HPP here. All we get in Sweden are the Corvette and Camaro mags.

Yeah, those cars cost a bundle nowadays. (Oh, and t-tops leak even if they ARE cared for.)

/Joe

<div class='quotetop'>(DarkLordSalvo @ Jun 5 2006, 05:41 AM) [snapback]1256351[/snapback]</div>
This months issue of "High Performance PONTIAC" magazine has a big article on Burt's personal TA they gave him for "selling so many" during the '70's. There's some good info in there on the movie cars, too.
[/b]

Well I for one will be watching this thread with interest.

Don't know much about the "Bandit" Car but I had a 77 T/A with T-Tops, which by the way did'nt leak, guess I was one of the lucky one out of a thousand, and that was the most fun I had out of any car I owned.

I loved it even more than my 74 Corvette or 69 Road-runner.

I have recently ran across a '78 T/A with the 6.6 and T-tops, auto transmission, power locks and windows. It's a garage kept car with no rust at all. the owner is asking 10,000 for it. I'm REALLY thinking I might should pick this car up. It has tan interior and was gold, but has been painted black. The owner has sent me a few pics and I think this should be my "mid-life-crisis" car. :p

pj

Year One along with another car shop did some Bandit edition cars not too long ago. Might want to check with them & see if they still have or will sell the unique front nose & other pieces. You planning on just doing the RWD or trying to find the stuff to do the AWD/4x4 setup that I once read a few cars had?

Links to articles relating to the Year One Bandit car run:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/19/breaker-breaker-year-one-recreates-bandit-t-as/
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=120922

Re: '77 Trans Am research from Smokey and the Bandit?

Had a 79 T/A with an Olds 403 tied to a TH-400 under the hood - now that was a fun ride. I think I bought if for a grand.

But, she blew the oil pump and seized the two rear pistons and couldn't afford (or hardly find) the parts to get her fixed. Had 6 original snowflake rims (don't know why the car came with 2 spares). Ended up letting the body go for about $600.

I know this doesn't really help with what you're looking for, but man do I miss that ol' girl.

-Fred

Re: '77 Trans Am research from Smokey and the Bandit?

Whoa!

Oooold thread! Actually... I sold my firebird a month or two ago and now I drive a Corvette!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back