70 years of Canadian kids’ TV props, puppets & costumes on exhibit

Tommy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Through Sept. 1st, 2023 at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Quebec (just a bridge-walk away from the lovely capital Ottawa), an exhibition “From Pepinot to Paw Patrol” highlights nearly 100 children’s television programs produced and broadcast in Canada from the 1950s to the present. Original props, puppets, costumes and set pieces from 35 shows are on display, alongside a broad assortment of well-curated video presentations.

Canadian TV exhibition 01.jpg

Despite almost no personal familiarity as an American, I found the experience surprisingly fascinating; almost like a window into a parallel universe. Seeing as Canadian culture isn’t so different from our own apart from the French-language offerings, I could imagine myself alternately growing up watching Polka Dot Door rather than Barney or Mr. Dressup rather than Mister Rogers, or my dad growing up with Pepinot rather than Howdy Doody.

Below are some photos I took:

Canadian TV exhibition 02.jpg

Canadian TV exhibition 03.jpg

Canadian TV exhibition 04.jpg

Canadian TV exhibition 05.jpg

The one piece I randomly recognized (besides the Fraggle): a large elephant outfit from Sharon, Lois & Bram’s Elephant Show which was broadcast in re-runs on Nickelodeon and featured the earworm “skinnamarinky-dinky-dink / skinnamarinky-doo” song.

[EDIT: Double-checked the elephant suit placard; it's from 90s stage shows, not the 80s TV version. Still cool, just on a slightly lower level.]

Canadian TV exhibition 06.jpg

Canadian TV exhibition 07.jpg

It was also quite fun overhearing Canadian visitors around me getting intense nostalgia rushes, often over what looked to me like nondescript balls of felt. Several times I shrugged off a puppet only to hear behind me a few seconds later “OH MY GOD IT’S _____!!!!!!!

This video walk-through actually gives a pretty decent taste, along with conveniently edited-in show clips for context:

If anyone’s passing through the Ottawa vicinity this spring or summer, I recommend checking it out.

Last edited:
Wow that's amazing, thank you for sharing. I was born and raised in Ottawa before moving abroad and was a big fan of a lot of those programmes. I remember seeing Polka Dot Door live on stage and was a huge fan of Today's Special and Sharon, Lois and Bram. Those pics are great.

Last edited:
Oh man, the nostalgia from those pics alone! Underneath the Umbrella Tree, Today's Special, Mr. Dressup, Sharon, Lois, & Bram, Polka Dot Door...

Wow.

BTW, Mr. Dressup was WAY better than Mr. Rogers. Fred Rogers the man was a saint and a legend. But in terms of programming, Mr. Dressup was the way to go. ;)

It's kinda fascinating and sad to think how current and future generations of Canadian kids won't be growing up with this kind of homegrown culture - so much domination of foreign media, especially US content.

BTW, Mr. Dressup was WAY better than Mr. Rogers. Fred Rogers the man was a saint and a legend. But in terms of programming, Mr. Dressup was the way to go. ;)
In that case, you may be pleased to hear that an Ernie Coombs documentary is set to be released this year:

Glad to see such positive responses!

It's kinda fascinating and sad to think how current and future generations of Canadian kids won't be growing up with this kind of homegrown culture - so much domination of foreign media, especially US content.
Well, it's difficult not to be influenced by the U.S. media behemoth;) Geographically, Canada is way more influenced by our friends to the South than any other country...saying that, a "Canadian Content" is present in every major American movie and, it can be argued, that our particular psyche had found its way throughout movie history. From the Studio bosses, Directors, actors/actresses, animation (Pixar et Co) and many others too numerous to list here.

Ya, there are CRTC laws that ensure that Canadian content is still around, even if it's not as prevalent as it once was. Some of those shows were great. I'll still watch Kids in the Hall over SNL any day of the week. When I used to babysit I'd watch that and Outer Limits (not Canadian but all shot in BC). Good times....

Doc101 & Michael Bergeron Since you mentioned you were fellow fans of Sharon, Lois & Bram, I just double-checked the elephant suit placard and realized that I misinterpreted its provenance. The one on display came from later 90s stage shows, not the original 80s TV version. Probably explains why a few details were bugging me. Still cool... just on a slightly lower level.

Doc101 & Michael Bergeron Since you mentioned you were fellow fans of Sharon, Lois & Bram, I just double-checked the elephant suit placard and realized that I misinterpreted its provenance. The one on display came from later 90s stage shows, not the original 80s TV version. Probably explains why a few details were bugging me. Still cool... just on a slightly lower level.

I thought it looked a little fresher than it should! Still cool. :D

I wonder if they will have anything from the old show, "You can't Do that on Television."
I grew up with Nickelodeon and watching this, although my Dad found it too weird and didn't really like it. (same with Pee-Wees Playhouse)
But, it was actually a Canadian sketch comedy that started in 1979 and then Nickelodeon got the rights by 1981.

A-youcan-maint.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back